1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some computer help

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Silverphin, Jan 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    First off, let me get the comp specs out of the way. I have an hp pavilion slimline s7320n PC running on Windows XP.

My problem is, as of lately, every single device I put on the front USB port (jump drives, iPod transfer cord, etc) is not being recognized (Error Report: USB Device Not Recognized). I tried a few solutions, including the DisableSelectiveSuspend trick in the Registry Editor and uninstalling all USB devices before rebooting, but none of that worked for me.

Any answers?

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    It sounds like the actual usb drive is working, so your problem has to be the software or a conflict with windows. Go to the HP website and check for USB driver updates...if your CPU is older than the hardware you are trying to plug in it that is likely the problem.

Or you can plug the same items into the back of the CPU and see if the same error shows up. If it does not, your front USB ports aren't reading properly. Check where that bundle of wiring connects to the motherboard and make sure it hasn't wiggled loose somehow (or dust interferring). It would be less expensive to buy a new computer case than it would to fix a hardware issue between the motherboard and those front ports...most cpu shops will not mess with rewiring.

If neither of the simple checks helps, call HP if there's even a chance you're still under warranty. They will just swap out cases then claim they repaired it.

I know that's not much, but hopefully you get lucky. If it still doesn't work go to Newegg, buy a $30 case, and have a buddy help you transfer everything over.