1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 3 Round MOCK Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    1. MIAMI DOLPHINS
    JAKE LONG
    OT | Michigan | Scouting Report
    Back in mid-March I was one of the first, if not the first, people to have Jake Long going #1 overall to Miami and I am sticking with it because that is the most logical direction for them to go. A strong case can certainly be made for Vernon Gholston, there's no question about that, but the bottom line is offensive tackle addresses a greater need while also making a lot more sense financially. Miami has absolutely nothing on the roster at offensive tackle beyond Vernon Carey while they currently have a bunch of pass rushing outside linebackers so strictly in terms of "need" Jake Long is a slam-dunk. Perhaps more importantly though at $30+ million guaranteed, which is what the #1 pick will cost, Jake Long will actually be a good value whereas giving a 3-4 OLB that type of money would be grossly overpaying to the tune of 33% since proven Pro Bowl performers like Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter only got $20 million and that was on the open market. Also, there is a reason Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and even Flozell Adams have played for one team their entire careers. Teams that have top offensive tackles simply do not let them get away so the only way to land one is to draft him. Miami will no doubt do their best to try and make a deal to trade down but at this point it doesn't appear as though anyone wants to come up so for all the reasons I listed Jake Long gets the edge over Vernon Gholston.

32. MIAMI DOLPHINS
    Curtis Lofton ILB | Oklahoma | Scouting Report
    Zach Thomas was sent packing so the Dolphins will need a thumper like this inside in their 3-4.

57. MIAMI DOLPHINS (f/SD)
    Chad Henne QB | Michigan | Scouting Report
    John Beck and Josh McCown are far from established and word is the Phins really like this guy.

64. MIAMI DOLPHINS
    Jason Jones DE | Eastern Michigan | Scouting Report
    "The Tuna" wants defense and this guy will be a prototypical 5-technique for their 3-4 scheme.

link to mock draft
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I will run naked down the street (happily) if we get these guys.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I really like this one. Personally im very high on both Jake and Curtis. Henne im mixed on, though oddly enough I dont think he will be around for 2b.

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I would MUCH prefer a Guard, Corner or Tight End at that second three.

I also think that 32 is too high for Lofton. HE is gonna be a pretty good LB, but I think there is much more talent still there at 32..and in fact we would probably still have a good chance of picking him up at the 57 IMO

Phinperor likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    At #57? Sorry to ask but why do you see him there so late? I thought he was going to be a top five second rounder.

6. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I dont think so.

He is an absolute hitting machine, and has a pretty good nose for the ball...but in any coverage and catch-from-behind, he is a serious liability.

Surrounded by the right guys around him (And perhaps a 1-gap 3-4 with three other faster linebackers is a good spot for him) he could really be a run anchor.

Of course, this is JMO, and I dont do this for a living

alen1 likes this.
  7. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We very much need a tackling machine to anchor the middle against the run with the release of Zach. Lofton would fill that perfectly. 2b is a good chance to get him, but not at 57, thats just way to low imo. Assuming Cason and Groves are gone at 32, Lofton would make sense.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

9. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Depending whom else is left on the board, he might make the best sense...:hi5:

10. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah ideally it will be Cason or Groves if we go with Jake. If we go with Chris or Vernon? Will almost have to be Collins or Cherilus.

Or somewhere over the rainbow and take Henne, who the hell knows, I wonder if even Parcells and Jeffy know? :lol:

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Would rather get a receiver or corner back with the HeNNE PICK BUT VERY NICE DRAFT