1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Depth Chart: Langford a First Teamer; Roth an OLB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Styla, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Other Moves.....
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/..._a_fir.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_the_dolphins

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I like the move with Roth. Especially if he performs well there. The nice thing about it too though is it allows us to put Langford into the lineup. I dont know about you guys, but im really liking this youth movement here. This years draft so far is looking pretty damn impressive, thats going to go a long way in this rebuilding project.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Big news for Ricky.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Roth beat out Vonnie for the OLB slot, he is back to 1st team RDE.

5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well with ROnnies Injury and Ricky's talent showing early on. No Wonder hes 1st no need to RUSH brown back into the lineup.. Thing is if Ricky Lights it up like we think Ronnies value to the team might decrease and he might be traded if we resign Ricky..

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  6. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    does this leave merling starting also? that would make holiday a back up, right?

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Wonder how much meaning this depth chart has. Nevertheless, here are some thoughts of mine.

Offense Thoughts:

The Quarterbacks seem to be lined up based on experience. We know for sure that Pennington will be our starting Quarterback this year, barring injury. Looking at the backups, you have to wonder how they plan to have them setup. Pennington is likely to go down since he only has one 16 game season under his belt. We have a promising rookie in Chad Henne, a young guy in John Beck whose on the trading block and McCown who has been non-impressive. Definitely keep an eye-out on this situation as it unravels.

I'm not shocked to see Ricky Williams as the starting Running Back. Williams has been looking very good out there, running with power and showing good vision. Ronnie Brown will likely be eased back into the lineup as he continues to come back from his partial ACL tear. I hope that we don't rush him. I love Parmele, I hope he contributes some this year. Hits the whole hard with speed and power.

Happy to see that Hagan is up there with the first team. Hagan has impressed in training camp before and didn't show up on Sunday. We'll see how it goes this time around. Ginn has looked good this year, improving route-running, playing speed and strength. Davone Bess has been good in camp as an UDFA. I really like him, runs good route and catches the ball well. I like Camarillo a lot, he catches the ball well and is one of our better route runners. However, I'm not sure if he makes the roster. I'd love to see him here with us for another year. Moving on to Wilford, we've all been very disappointed with him. He has dropped balls when he is just playing catch with his Quarterbacks and now has been demoted. I think he will work his way backup the depth chart though. I expect to see Foster and Armstrong gone to the practice squad.

The offensive line overall has looked good in my opinion. Not much to say here other than that.

The FB competition is interesting. I'm not sure which one of the two makes the team.

The Tight End group is weak in my opinion. Martin drops balls all day. Mulligan will be gone which leaves Ryan and Peele. I like Peele a lot as I find him a good blocker. Never seen much of Ryan. I believe he dropped a wide-open catch from Henne last pre-season game. Fasano is still a young guy and will likely have his first starting gig in the NFL. We'll see how he fairs.

Defense Thoughts:

Glad to see Langford out there with the first team. He's been running with the first team for a while now, ever since Roth started "experimenting" on the outside. I am a huge fan of Langford and I think he can make an impact for us as a rookie.

Holliday back at the Right End spot doesn't surprise me. I recall seeing a report that was posted here saying Holliday was practicing today which is a positive. He will only help our run to defensive success.

Glad to see Roth out there. He's not a bad cover 'backer and is good against the run. I expect him to rush the passer from that spot as well. It may be easier for him standing up, not sure to be honest.

I remember a report early in training camp that said Torbor was the ILB opposite of Crowder but that seems to have changed. It certainly doesn't surprise me to see Ayodele out there since he did well in the 34 defense with Parcells and co. in Dallas.

Porter is moved back to his old position with Roth's new spot. Happy to see him back to his old spot. I thought he did good last year despite struggling with the injury in the beginning.

The Defensive Backs were expected to be Allen, Allen, Bell and Goodman. I find Goodman and W. Allen underrated. Allen is a very good corner despite the lack of interceptions on his part. Goodman is a good corner in my opinion when he is healthy. I hope to see him healthy throughout this year. Last year, our passing defense was 4th in the league with Lehan and Allen. Now, we have Goodman in place of Lehan, who has been shifted to the nickel spot. A large part of our passing defense success was because of the poor run defense but I expect that to change. If we provide pressure on the Quarterback and stop the run which I expect, our Corners will be able to make plays. Jason Allen continues to impress me. I think he will excel in this simplistic defense. He made a great play on the sidelines in the Tampa Bay game, a diving batted down pass that was intended for Antonio Bryant. I think our first team defense can be a good if they can stay healthy. I don't know how much confidence I have in our defensive backups as we are "paper thin" at Corner to quote Padre31. I pray that Yeremiah Bell is healthy this year as he is a playmaker despite not having a large amount of interceptions which everyone seems to look at.

Special Teams Thoughts:

I completely disagreed with the cutting of Jay Feely but Carpenter has erased some of those doubts. I like his strong leg but I want to see him in crunch time.

Fields has been booting it all over the place.

phineas64 and Bpk like this.
  8. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
  9. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Acquiring talent.

Developing talent.

Knowing how best to use talent.

That's our new Miami Dolphins organization. :)

SuncoastFinsFan and alen1 like this.
  10. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I thought Merling has played better then Langford thus far so him being a backup surprises me, I'm sure he will still get plenty of play time despite being a backup.

A lot can still change from now until opening weekend so this is far from final.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Can we now start to roast all parties involved who labeled Roth a bust???? Each year it's a new player that magically develops from bust to productive player in some fan's eyes. This usually happens in the 3-4 year mark. And it's usually the same posters :D

12. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    I really love Roth at OLB. Im soo excited to see him there. I thought he was on the way out because of his size on the DL now he has a chance to be a big part of this team.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Perhaps Aqua, but as I think about it, both of our DE can play OLB at some level, Anderson can't do that for us.

I joke about Ninkovich, but he can play OLB and DE as well, he did at purdue. Could be that versatility is what DC Coach P is looking for, guys who can put a hand down or drop back in coverage.

Joey Porter can play both as well.

Hmm...Just like Dallas with Ellis and Ware, not talent wise but roll wise.