1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Depth Chart w/ Tannehill at the Top

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Stitches, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    https://twitter.com/finsjesse/status/237673559273656320/photo/1/large

[​IMG]
    Things I take away that (I think) are different than last week, or things in general that I take away.

- Clay is up to #2 TE, subsequently bumping Mastrud down and closer to off the roster.
    - Marlon Moore and Pruitt as the #3 and #4 WR. That's with Pruitt getting 0 offensive snaps in the preseason game last week.
    - Fuller, Cunningham (surprised - he must practice really well), and Wallace right there for the 5th and 6th spot.
    - Hartline at the bottom of the chart due to injury (no surprise), but Hogan, Matthews, and Gates still down at the bottom.
    - John Jerry still 3rd string even though he seemed to be backup to Hicks at RG from practice reports
    - Rishard Matthews listed as back-up PR, while Thigpen is starting KR. Both have a ways to go in making the roster, but Rizzi's influence may help either of them.

2. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Clyde Gates' name is right-aligned in that as well this week in every spot it shows up. Speed just isn't enough sometimes.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Looks exactly like the last depth chart, save for Tannehill with the 1's.

4. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Wasn't Gates higher in the KR category previously?

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Still take these with just more than a grain of salt. It seems to contradict many things.

6. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    It'll get real interesting IMO after next Monday (after cuts to 75).

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Yea I agree. I will take them more seriously then.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thigpen has to continue his strong showing from last week, in fact he really should be on punt returns as well.

Wallace just cannot seem to climb up the ladder, and DBess is a outside the hashes Wr once again in two Wr sets.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Marlon Moore and Pruitt is no surprise to me as they sort of fit what the staff says they want, and Fuller and Cunningham have practice squad options meaning Wallace is in jeopardy imo.

10. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Legadu must have nudie pics of someone.

Bpk, PhinsRock, Tone_E and 7 others like this.
  11. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Where will that leave Hogan? Thye going to sneak him to the ps?

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IMO..no, Les Brown goes to the PS as they always keep on developmental Te there.

Hogan could be a hard knocks story, could be wrong though.

13. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    How is the invisible man still #1 on the depth chart at WR?

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Gates is closing the gate on his way out.

15. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Because he's a vet and shown the staff enough during practice. Philbin has stated many times he's more concerned about getting the fringe players reps in the preseason games than impressing the fans.

16. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

That's an eye opening depth chart imo ,and not because of who is where.

Full of question marks , low production players and draft picks that have failed to deliver. Not counting this years class of course , but why we are where we are .... no question to why imho.

dolfan32323 and PhinsRDbest like this.
  17. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Nanee must be Jerry Rice in practice then

Bpk and dolfan32323 like this.
  18. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I love when fans try and rate WR's from watching a game on TV. It's nearly impossible to evaluate.

Just because a player hasn't caught a ton of balls it doesn't mean he hasn't been open, running sharp routes, and playing well. The fact is that after a couple yards the WR is out of your immediate picture and there are a million reasons the QB may not throw his way.

1) He may flat out not see him
    2) He may be the third or fourth look on the play
    3) The QB may not have TIME to progress to him
    4) Someone else gets open short immediately and the QB checks down, taking the certain yardage

The list goes on. Let's all stop trying to play coach with our WR's because the fact is as fans we don't have the info to do so.

djphinfan, MrClean and smahtaz like this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    We will see how the final roster shakes out but I'm getting the feeling the depth chart means very little.

20. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Part of me hopes that this is the case.

Bpk and PhinsRDbest like this.
  21. dolfan22

How aggressive does Miami get after cutdown?

I can see it going either conservatively or assertively. By that I mean , this regime has been pro churning the roster , looking under stones , and they have found some serviceable to better players. I believe there will be quite a few players on other teams PS list that could help Miami and have strong potential to develop , with proper coaching. Those players should be better than what is at the bottom of the Dolphin's roster.

If they do approach it that way though , then it may almost be an admission by Ireland that he hasn't done a positive enough job of player acquisition , primarily through the draft . Or at least that may be how the fan base perceives it to be. Is he confident enough to perhaps admit this really is a rebuild and the best long term direction is to get talent that will be the best in a year or two , or try to stem the tide and play with his current selections? I really don't no ... I know what I want him to do , and what I believe is the best option for future success. Short term pain for long term gain , of course it hasn't been short term pain for us at all , but I also don't think putting some band aids on the failed Parcells/Ireland/Sparano initial blueprint will get us to where we all want to be.

Not cashing in this season , but please...don't keep kidding yourself Jeff , this is a rebuild and we need to add talent even if it means a tougher season for all of this year.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As I watch Phillip Hunt destroy the patriots offense, this is the sort of thing that bothered me about Ireland

Hunt lacked the prototype size, so he was not an option, but we'd keep the forever non playmaking Q Moses around.

23. dolfan22

Maybe Coach influences him , he did just say that players come in all shapes and sizes , I feel Miami could have signed Hunt if they pursued him vigorously enough. They didn't of course.

24. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    two thoughts:
    1) like the way things are shaping up. would like to see Chris Hogan get something thrown his way during a game, keep remembering ... the Wes Welker debacle in Miami
    2) my best guess would be it will take four regular season games to calibrate this team & the rest of the year to mold them into a serious threat. my expectations are for competitive games in 2012, the precursor of a new positive direction for the franchise
    patience !

25. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

No. He's probably more like Michael Irvin when compared to the rest of the group. And it's NaaNee.

26. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    So Brandon Graham might be available?

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Could be, more likely Tapp according to Adam Caplann

Fmr Phin Chris McCoy made it to the CFL, he has one of the new 3 yr CFL deals, I've got my eye on him.

New labor agreement up there and the 2 yr option window was closed.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'd love to see us get Tapp. Graham is younger, but Tapp isn't old by any means, been durable and always seems to do something positive when I watch him play.

I really hope we are holding back some things on defense and perhaps will also utilize the wide 9s alignment such as Philly does.

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ronin would have the inside track on that as he watched Coyle in Cinci.

30. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    (Trent Cole, Jason Babin, Vinny Curry, Phillip Hunt, Brandon Graham, Daryl Tapp) Wish we had that problem.

MrClean likes this.
  31. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I see Korey Sheets is tearing it up in the CFL with Saskatchewan (<-- could be spelled correctly)...

32. MrClean

Looks ok to me. :up: Canada sure has some cool names for cities too. Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Regina. The first two were my favorite names for Canadian cities when I was a kid. Then I heard that other word that rhymes with Regina...

33. dolfan22

It is :up:

MrClean likes this.
  34. MrClean

My other favorite place in Saskatchewan was Tisdale. It was on the way to Crooked River where my spinster aunt lived. There was a welcome sign as you entered the town that said "Welcome to Tisdale, the land of rape and honey." Then I learned that rape is a crop they grown there. Thank gawd. You wouldn't want to think the city fathers would want to welcome mother rapers, or father stabbers, (either kind), or even father rapers, and they don't. :up:

Paul 13 likes this.
  35. dolfan22

Been to Tisdale several times , it now has a sign as home of Brent Butt ... you can't make this stuff up folks , welcoming signs about rape and butt .

He is a comedian that had a popular sitcom a few years back for the non Canadians .

smahtaz and MrClean like this.
  36. MrClean

My mom had a 1st cousin and her family that lived there. We thought they were weird because they were Jehovah's Witness. They weren't pushy though, and none of us just ever talked about it when we stopped to visit. Other than that they seemed nice enough. I remember there was a Dairy Queen there, or a place same as a Dairy Queen and I ate a strawberry sundae there once with chopped walnuts on top, and one maraschino cherry too. They did things first class at that place.

dolfan22 likes this.
  37. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I went to England several years ago in late April. When we drove out into the countryside, there were fields of these beautiful bright yellow flowers. When I asked about them I was told they were rape. Very striking! I didn't know they were a Saskatchewan claim to fame as well. LOL!

Back on topic, I don't think much can be gleaned from these depth charts. Veterans have in inherent advantage. They may be using them to send certain messages to the younger players. I take them with a grain of salt.

MrClean likes this.
  38. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

You're right, and this is one of my biggest disappointments as I really had very high hopes for him and aside from his speed, I was enthused about his potential for multi-position capability. I wanted to see him used 33% @ FB 33% @ TE and 33% @ WR. That could have presented difficulties for opposing D's in clarifying how to play/cover him pre-snap.

Oh, and I couldn't be happier about Tannehill starting straight out of the gate, but they darn well better get him a ground game and close the bullfighter mentality on the right side of the OL. If they don't, Tanny could be in for a very tough rookie season, but he seems like with his mental toughness and acumen he wouldn't be set back by it in his development.

39. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Why would any coach in their right mind line up a 195lb speed WR at TE or FB?

MrClean and Nappy Roots like this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Angina?