1. pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To the tech junkies: I'm in the market for a laptop and its been a while since I bought one so I'm unsure as to what specs I need. Basically, I already have a newer desktop at home so the laptop would be for when I'm travelling or at training for work. I'm not a computer gamer so I don't need specs for that. I will however probably want to stream netflix so I need it to be able to play movies. Likely won't store much on it bc I have the desktop so I don't need excess hard drive space.
    Basically I'm looking to find if I need 2 GB, 3 GB or 4 GB memory, how many GHz processor, things like that.
    Any advice would be great!

2. MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Get a cheap machine and use the saved money on extra batteries (or one really really good battery)

pennphinfan likes this.
  3. DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

I would go with the most RAM you could get.

pennphinfan likes this.
  4. padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If you will transport it alot, then go with one those netbooks, 300 dollars or less and about the size of a hard back book, would look into adding a small external keyboard.

pennphinfan likes this.
  5. alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I got an HP laptop. Runs great but the battery needs to be replaced every 2 or so years. I don't know if thats normal with laptops but I hate it.

6. pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    yeah my brother has a netbook and honestly it just pisses me off how powerless it can be sometimes. i know they're not meant to be supercomputers or anything but it's just frustrating at times. I dont travel much for work, and will occasionally take a trip east to visit friends or family, but i dont need to do much computering while there anyway (and i'm not too worried about using it during flights bc I usually take virgin america and they have awesome media set-ups in the seats..) so.. i don't necessarily need the portability of a netbook.

there was an ad today for this Toshiba laptop at our local electronics store:
    http://www.frys.com/product/6559113?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    Intel core i3, 4 GB memory, 320GB hard drive, decent enough other specs, and only $399 at the store. i'm guessing this will fly off the shelf and as the sale started yesterday it's likely gone already, but I may check that out tomorrow.. the only issue is that i really don't need a 15+ inch screen, and don't need the numeric pad on the side. makes it too bulky.

7. DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    I've had all 3 "basic" sizes of laptops, those being the small netbook, the 14-16" range and the 17"+ size. I personally prefer the 15.6 that I currently use. The netbook, IMO, is just too small for my taste. The keys are smaller and makes it difficult for my use. The side numeric keypad I had on my large one just made everything too bulky for my liking and I didn't need that big of a screen. That's when I settled on this 15.6" one I use now. It is just right for me. I have a usb numeric keypad that I'll use with it if I'm punching in a lot of numbers. The Toshiba you linked to seems to be a great machine, lot's of RAM, processor speed, etc. but the side keypad would shrink everything else down to smaller keys. I would consider getting one like that if not for that feature. I always carry my laptop with me when I travel and this one I use now is ideal for me. It's not too bulky and light enough to lug thru airports w/o much bother. But, it all comes down to personal preference. keep looking and you'll come across the right one for you.