1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mexico woman killed in attack by 4 dogs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Topdawg13, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I hate bad dog owners. It's amazing that so many people aren't fit to be dog owners, let alone be parents.

and even though I've met some really well-trained pit-bulls that were friendly, IMO, it's a breed that should be banned. It hurts the good dog trainers, but for some reason the white trash loves to own pit bulls and it's not worth the risk.

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I don't really support banning them. The breed itself is fine - I know several pitt owners who never had a problem. The problem is solely with crappy owners, and if they can't get pitts, they will go for pinschers, dobies, sheps, or some other breed.

Besides, what do do with part pitts? Ban them or not? And then what about the breed that will replace them? To slippery of a slope imo.

And like guns and drugs, would banning actual curtail their prevalence among people who shouldn't have them?

Fin D likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The "part pitts" is a relevant point. and it is a slippery slope. but IMO, there's a difference between the breeds, while they can all be dangerous with a crappy owner who doesn't train them correctly, there's a difference between a dog breed that was bred for fighting and killing and a dog breed that was bred for intense guard duty.
    It's all about odds. I hear far less mauling stories with pinschers, dobies and sheps than I do pit bulls

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There isn't a difference really. And to be honest, you hear more about pit bulls more for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with the genetics of the breed. Pit bulls are status symbols in lower income areas and cultures that fight dogs. The status comes from their rep as fighting dogs and that in turn makes them targets for that kind of lifestyle, which then leads to them being news which furthers their rep and hence the vicious cycle continues.

Dogs are individuals, its one the reasons we love them so much and pit bulls are no different. I guarantee there are more non dangerous pit bulls then there are dangerous ones, and by a very large margin.

6. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I'm torn on the issue of pit bulls. I know some people who have pit bulls tht are good loving owners and take care of their dogs, training them not to be viscious and always have positive control over them, but then again...

Pit bulls were bred for one thing and one thing only...dog fighting. They are viscious by breed. It's in their genes. I mean, there are some who own exotic animals such as lions and tigers and are good and loving to them, but you still think it's stupid and dangerous for them to have those animals. Why would owning a pit bull, who by its nature is just as unpredictable as that owner of a lion or tiger?

I don't know. One of my nephews owns a pit bull. Good dog overall even though he's monster and plays a little too rough for my taste. I just worry about the dog snapping one day and mauling his baby boy.