1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New NT comes with high praise

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    New Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Neville Gallimore couldn’t have asked for a better recommendation from his old boss. Dallas Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy was effusive in his praise regarding his former defensive tackle at the NFL’s Annual League Meeting here Tuesday.

What Do Miami Dolphins Have In Neville Gallimore?

Gallimore was McCarthy’s third-ever pick as Cowboys coach, part of a 2020 draft class that also included wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, cornerback Trevon Diggs, and center Tyler Biadasz.

He appeared in 52 games (starting 14) during his four seasons with the Cowboys, totaling four sacks and 11 tackles for loss. Despite those modest stats, McCarthy insisted Tuesday that the Dolphins got a good one when they signed Gallimore to a one-year, $1.8 million contract in free agency.

“I think Neville is really coming into his own,” McCarthy said. “I thought he really finished extremely strong for us. You know, I think when you go back, I think history will show, you look at the draft class that came into the league during the pandemic, you know, maybe those guys needed maybe a half-year more and I think Neville is one of those.

“So I think his best football is in front of him. Everybody has love for Neville. He’s an incredible teammate, you know, has a huge heart, respected in the locker room. So Miami got themselves a hell of a football player and even a better man.”

Gallimore, one of eight defensive tackles on the Dolphins’ roster, is part of Chris Grier’s by-committee plan to replace Christian Wilkins. Gallimore, Jonathan Harris, Benito Jones, Da’Shawn Hand, and Brandon Pili are probably competing for three roster spots — four max.

“I love this game and I know that there is a level that I aspire to get to,” Gallimore said after signing with the Dolphins. “When you sit back, there is no fluke. It doesn’t matter what team you play for. You saw the impact that this team has had when it comes to developing D-linemen. You saw the success they had. You’ve seen guys really be able to take care of their family and you just see that every D-lineman that has played here under this staff played with a chip on their shoulder.

“They’ve brought a lot to the table,” he added. “I was just looking forward to the opportunity to grow my game and take it to another level. That’s why when the opportunity presented itself, it felt right. It felt like what I needed and I felt like with this team, there will be a lot of work that will be able to get done.”

danmarino likes this.
  2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

No, he sucks because he didn’t cost nearly $30m AAV. Lol

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I always take comments like that with a grain of salt. If you loved the guy so much ... you would have resigned him. It's not like we payed through the nose like LA did for Wilkins. It's not like Dallas was blowing their wad on high priced guys. They were fine with letting Gallimore walk.

I like the signing, I think he has potential and is maybe the kind of guy that Weaver can really elevate, but I don't really care what the Cowboys are saying.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Yeah, going by what former coaches say shouldn't really move the needle when it comes to grading a player. The personal stuff he said, however, is something I'd grab onto and it seems like Neville is a high class person.

Saying that, if you watch him play he's no scrub. For whatever reason, he didn't make it onto the field much in Dallas, but he made plays when he was playing. Another encouraging thing about him is it seems he wants to get better and his comments about how the Dolphins really coach up DT's being one of the reasons he wanted to come here holds a lot of weight with me.

I, for one, think Weaver will make the guy a key contributor on the DL.

5. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    exactly! you love the guy, but can't sign him for 1.8 million?