1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Role Doesn't Fit Taylor

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Nov 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    He is many things, but diplomatic is rarely one of them. So rather than say what most everyone else believes -- that the move abandoning the Jack position and returning to the defensive end spot hasn't maximized his talents -- Taylor simply keeps quiet for an uncomfortable period of time.

Five seconds. Ten seconds he's looking at me, smiling. And then he simply walks away.

And that awkward silent period speaks volumes.

This is not good. This could be both Capers and Cam he is implying to with his silence.

3. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

i guess this is it for Capers. i can't imagine Cameron having that much say in the D this season.

4. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Do we just not have the depth on the D line to let him play standing up?

5. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    the answer is no, we do not have any depth at DL. WE are very very weak at DE. Chase is out and is a DT anyway. Roth is out. R. Wright is a DT moved to DE. Ninkovick has not played. We moved Holiday to DE. We picked up Q. Moses and Robertson off the street. And we even have played Joey Porter as a DE.

I can see playing JT down in his old spot if Joey Porter was also on the weakside. Then JT could drop back in coverage while Porter rushes the QB. Or both could rush etc.

I admit, Capers has me confused. I know part of it is just trying to fill holes with someone but it makes me wonder if our defensive success was due to Saban more then to Capers.

P.S. And I do not like the 3-4 anyway.

6. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    That's the thing for me too I don't quit know where to pin the blame..... Do we just have so little D line talent that we are forced to play JT and Porter at ends because we have no one else? Or are we lining them up there because Capers in all his wisdom has decided that's where they fit in "his" D? Because if its the latter Capers is a moron. If its the former though he may just be working with what he has in a no win kinda situation.

7. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
  8. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I have been saying this for the last week or two. Has the game passed Dom by?

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sounds more like Taylor is blaming other people for his awful play this year than anything. He's played defensive end his entire career and been very productive, often lined up to guys who couldnt rush the passer at all.

Jason Taylor isnt in a position to play much linebacker because of our defense. Dom Capers didnt suddenly decide that he didnt like playing a 3-4 based defense all of a sudden for no apparent reason, it's what he has run everytime he's had complete autonomy over a defense.

The bottom line is, the Dolphins are getting awful play from their "3-4" ends, be it from injury or whatever. Vonnie Holliday has been injured the entire year, Matt Roth has been ineffective, Rodrique Wright hasnt shown much, etc. and so on.

The part Taylor was talking about not even practicing linebacker at all? The depth was so bad at that point I think Matt Roth and Robinson or whatever the new guy was the only ones at the position who ever fit the archtype healthy at the time.