New TV Shows Out Right Now

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Fin D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    It's also produced by the team that produced GoT. Episode 5 brings that point in perfect clarity. That's as far as I am, with plans to finish it this weekend.

Claymore95 and danmarino like this.
  2. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Fallout on Prime. Very enjoyable. I'm not a games player any longer, so have never played Fallout, but it's a fun TV show that seems to be getting praise even from those that have played it. Walton Goggins is in it too, and I don't recall ever seeing him not being good in whatever he does.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know Goggins mainly as the secondary bad guy in Ant Man 2, where he's really good. I played Fallout 4 when it came out nine years ago, but not since. They've been planning a big next gen upgrade, which will be released in a few weeks, and I'm going to give it another go then. I'll eventually check out the show as well. Despite playing the game, I'm not much of a fan of the universe that its set in.

4. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Walton Goggins was the best thing about Justified (sorry, Timmy Oliphant, who was fantastic too). And although I've only seen the first two episodes of Fallout, he's chewing up the scenes and making it fun. The production is top notch and the direction is great, especially because of the music. Can't wait to see where it winds up.

Claymore95 likes this.
  5. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Yeah, Justified was the first show that I saw Goggins in and, as you say, he was the standout in what is one of my favourite shows of recent(ish) times. I'm hoping there's a sequel to last year's Justified: City Primeval too, going by the last scenes in that show...

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I watched the first two episodes of Fallout, and holy crap that's dark and gory. If it was a source material I'm not familar with, I'd be noping out, but I think I'll see it through.

7. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Yeah, I did think you might not be keen on the amount of gore in it but, as you say, from what I know (very little) of the game, it's in keeping with it. At least it's not relentlessly dark, which I know you also don't like, as there's plenty of humour too.

8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm going to gut it out. The big battle scene where all of the main characters met was a lot. I had to turn away for a while because it turned my stomach. The show is certainly more graphic than the game, in part due to the fairly primitive graphics back then compared to whats possible now.

9. Claymore95

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Fallout has been renewed for season 2. No surprise seeing as it seems to have been a big hit for Prime.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I’ve started watching “Wu Assassin” and I’m really enjoying it. It has tons of action, and some gore, but for those of you squeamish to those things it’s not too graphic. The acting is good. The writing is good. The story is good. Highly recommend it…

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    When I got Netflix, now almost six years ago, I added that to the list and never got around to watching it. I should.

danmarino likes this.
  12. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    My goodness... The world building on Fallout is the best that I've seen on TV. Maybe the best that I've seen on film. There is nothing about it that I don't absolutely love.

I started watching Parish, Giancarlo Esposito's new show, the other night. Brutal, but the first episode has me wanting to see more.

danmarino likes this.
  13. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Shogun on Hulu...

Remake of the 70s movie based (very) loosely on the life of William Adams via James Clavell's novel of the same name. Adams was the first Englishman to visit Japan in the 1600s, but in the story the names are all changed and there's a lot more intrigue in good ole feudal sword slinging Samurai land.

There’s something about samurai movies that are compelling to watch. The dicotomy between the harsh, guttural ways the men speak vs the soft, sing song way the women speak. People walking around slowly, carrying legendary weapons that are desired and feared to this day as they enjoy baths or poetry until their societal codes, personal interests, and slashing swords come into conflict.

The violence is somewhat sparse given how many people die in it, but when they do show it, it's fun to watch. None of that cheesy pop Kill Bill farcity, but well done and realistic. There's some graphic bleeding, amputation, gutting, and decapitation effects.

I could do with a little less of the girl power stuff, but overall it's a nice series.

danmarino likes this.
  14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah that was a very solid watch and set up nicely for another season or two. Wong and the GoT alums do a solid job and the rest of the cast works pretty well too. I've not read the source novels, but I am good with the location and character cast. I thought it did well unravelling the first mysteries and setting up the conflict before dropping reveals and then setting up the next season. Very solid for a science-based mystery thriller.

I got a month of D+ for reasons unrelated to the show, but I've also picked up Ahsoka again. I like it, good not great. I did watch the trailer for that pre-prequel era show Acolyte which looks fun as well.

Claymore95 likes this.
  15. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I'm ashamed to say that I started watching Knuckles this week and every episode makes me laugh my *ss off. I cannot and will not recommend it and couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of the first Sonic movie, but some childish part of me is happy that I gave it a try.

16. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I just saw that Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power was returning for a second season in August, so I'm watching season 1 again. I love this show and hope they don't let me down with another run.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I enjoyed the first season. I shake my head at the enormous amount of hate that it gets in line. Partly due to the fact that its only OK instead of a masterpiece like the movies, and partly racism/misogyny.

OwesOwn614 likes this.
  18. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    It was on the tip of the "woke" spear for people who wanted something to be angry at. And some Tolkien fans/armchair scholars nitpicked at it because it missed the canonical mark when they checked their numerous concordances and reference materials. I thought it was cool to give backstory on Galadriel, Elrond, Isildur, Numenor, the South Lands, and more. I also liked the Sauron reveal and the birth of Mordor. Especially the latter. Surprisingly, I like it as much on second watch as I did the first time.

danmarino and Unlucky 13 like this.
  19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I hate when people get lost in the minutia of "the source material" man. It's not a Bible. We are working with a totally different medium - Screen vs Paper, visual vs written word. People need to learn things can be fun and a great watch even when they don't religiously adhere to the source.

OwesOwn614 and Unlucky 13 like this.
  20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I agree. And Tolkien's stuff beyond the LOTR and Hobbit is so deep and scattered, that its renowned for how difficult it is to read and understand in the first place. Its basically mandatory that whoever was going to make a project for TV would have to more use it as an outline than a shot-by-shot reference guide.

21. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I'm about to start watching Outer Range. Has anybody seen it to offer an opinion?