1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Water Park to open next to Sun Life Stadium

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DolfanJake, Aug 19, 2010.

1. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    For us South Floridians its a great location. For visitors it is away from everything, essentially. Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are out east by the beach, which is where everyone who lives outside of Florida wants to be. Not many are interested in sight seeing the western surburbs or the outskirts of the Everglades. Though not much different than the Giants and Jets playing outside of their state let alone New York City.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

As a visitor, you don't want to travel, you want all the action where you are staying, and it does not have it. That is the main reason Ross is trying to add things to the location.

Yeah, its easy to get to, but not close to anything, as I said, you have to stay in Fort laud or Miami if you fly down and want to do things.

That is another reason Ross bought out zanadu in NJ, The Meadowland are in the middle of nowhere also (although there are more hotels near it), he is going to turn that place into something similar that he is doing in Florida, bring things to do closer to the stadium.

And ask yourself, if you were a visitor, would you want to have to drive all over the place, or have everything right there?

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    No offense..but the last thing that should be taken into consideration is where the tourists that might go to one game a year need the stadium to be for their convenience.

99.9% of the season ticket holders are NOT tourists. They live in SO. Fla. For them, it is ultra convenient.

4. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and that is all that should matter.

5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    When I drive down from West Palm Beach it's very easy to get to and I couldn't care less what they build next to it...... when the game is over I just wanna get the hell out of there.

Section126 and FinSane like this.
  6. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    No offense, but I guarantee you that your number is wrong come to game time, I bet your 99.9% number is way off, they either don't come or sell tickets. And everytime I go to a game, there are a hell of a lot of empty seats.

And Ross wants to bring people to the stadium, he wants tourism and money, that's why he is where he is, a billionaire.

Think about the money they make from people from out of state coming to games, Fins fans and other opponents fans, its a big chunk of money. And they will spend more at games, and do more days before and after games that cost money than the locals do (besides the tickets and parking).

And that is why Ross is doing what he is doing.

I'm not asking you to agree, just see the bigger picture.

siciliansith likes this.
  7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I really dont think that Ross spending money on things other than the team are going to lead to neglect of the product on the field. As long as the Trifecta are running the football operations I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

8. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    True, but what Ross is doing is trying to bring more things to do around the stadium that makes it more appealing, he is a businessman first, owner second.

He wants to make money.

That's why he bought that big eye-saw outside the New Meadowlands, he is going to make it more appealing for people to come too. Hence, he makes more money.

9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    okay..forget 99.9%. Let's be grotesquely generous and say that 20% of the season ticket holders are from out of state.

EXPLAIN to me how pissing off 80% of your fan base makes any sense to cater to this mythical 20%.

you can't.

we who actually matter and go to 8 games, should be inconvenienced for you to enjoy your one visit per year, Then repeat that on a grand scale. makes perfect sense to me. :shifty:

10. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    You have to do both.

No mater what the percentage of out of town fans are it makes sense. Its like going to the movies sure alot of people bring there own candy, but you cater to the ones that want to make a big time of it. They're the ones that will spend there dollars that a owner covets.

Also the point is Ross would have never bought the Dolphins without all the land that was part of the deal. Like NJ said he is a business man that develops property. He has a Vision. Water parks cater to children which includes a a family and they spend the most. Need food, entertainment, lodging. If Im a dad and need a vacation and the area is developed. Why wouldnt I bring the family there next to Football. (only problem is most women rule the checkbooks now a days)

FinSane and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  11. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well this water park better be something special...... and at the same time modestly priced. Good luck to them pulling off both.

The problem with Florida is unlike most places, there's just almost too much to do here...and you can do it all year long.

And if you're a tourist coming down for a game and you want to treat your family to something extra, Orlando is 3 1/2 hours north. Or take them to one of 348569354593 amazing beaches or waterfront parks. You'd be ripping your kids off by taking them to that water park.

siciliansith likes this.
  12. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Just get Chuck Norris to be in the pool, they will come lol:shifty:

13. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Who says anything about pissing anybody off??? You???

And if you say mythical 20% again, you are not seeing the big picture, I'm sorry than I can't help you with that.

We who actually matter??? Oh please!

My argument, which still stands is that the stadium is in the middle of nowhere, and Ross is trying to change that by opening night clubs and water parks that will bring more business a hopefully hotels to the area. As a business man that is smart and will bring more people to the games. If you can't see that, again, I can't help you.

14. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Well I was born and bred right here in S. FL.

I understand what NFPhins is saying. You are right that the stadium is centrally located geographically.

The stadium is in the middle of nowhere though considering it's location in comparison to popular areas and "destination" areas in S.FL.
    Now I get that many people will say it's more important that the stadium is simply easy to regardless of where it's located. I understand that viewpoint. However, there are some, including myself that believe a stadium should be near to popular areas to help increase business when events are in town and to be able to showcase the area itself. Look at Seattles stadium near downtown and how the open end overlooks the downtown skyline. It showcases the city every time a game in televised nationally and people that attend games are near everything they need to make a full day out of their event. For those reasons I'd much rather a spot for a stadium be found nearer to the east side. The area near AAA arena would have been beautiful but it won't happen.

The stadium is one thing but its an even bigger issue for a proposed tourist attaction. What were talking about is where it's located compared to well traveled tourist areas and compared to favorable areas versus what is essentially a high crime area.

Central location and highway access is the only positive for where Joe Robbie stadium was built. Every other aspect of it's location is a negative. For a tourist attraction the location has a high probablilty to be an absolute death blow.

Even if you could care less about the water park if you're just a fan of the team there is reason for a little concern. Ross' focus on turning the area surrounding his stadium into a hotspot in itself may cause him not be looking at the area with as much scrutiny as he would in analyze other areas for it's true potential for other businesses to survive there. If Ross gets caught up in some grandiose visions of turning a bad area into some tourist mecca you've got a real danger of an owner getting himself into trouble financially from biting off more than he can chew.

I'll just say that I hope he's successful in his plans and move on to the focus of football.