New Xbox will be announced 5-21-2013 live on spike

292 replies

May 22, 2013, 12:52 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I don't want to be a nerd. Might as well get Linux while I am at it.

I'm pretty sure you passed that threshold by posting on the videogame sub-forum of a Dolphins website.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 22, 2013, 06:03 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

I'm pretty sure you passed that threshold by posting on the videogame sub-forum of a Dolphins website.

Yep. Welcome aboard, Dupree. The line for tonight's GTX 780 launch begins around the corner.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 22, 2013, 06:04 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

I'm pretty sure you passed that threshold by posting on the videogame sub-forum of a Dolphins website.

Touche

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Phinz420Phinz420New Member
May 22, 2013, 06:14 PM

It didnt take long for me and my friends to all agree the PS4 is the way to go this gen.

Microsoft is focusing on social media elements, gimmicky kinect gameplay and television, things I care very little for.

Its called demographics folks. The "hardcore gamer" is not being catered to by Microsoft any longer. They have seen the amount of profit Nintendo generated during the last gen with comparatively minimal investment, design and marketing overhead. Now they are going to attempt to wrestle control of that market demographic that Nintendo dominated. However I think they are underestimating the brand quality Nintendo carries with them, and their legion of fans. None of the people I know in real life who have an Xbox care at all about Microsoft, they just make the console thats it. People who own Nintendos often tend to be far different than that....Call them fanboys or whatever but they are loyal and I highly doubt that Microsoft can compete with Nintendos "softcore-casual" approach considering Nintendo can rely heavier on nostalgia(Zelda, Mario, Metroid,Donkey Kong, etc) to help people make the decision.

Every bit of "xbox nostalgia" is with hardcore gamers who really loved Halo and Gears of War, Fable, etc....Lets see how loyal those fans are with the limitations put on this new console. . This is by far the worst reveal Ive seen.

Phinz420Phinz420New Member
May 22, 2013, 06:20 PM

"Desides wrote:

Yep. Welcome aboard, Dupree. The line for tonight's GTX 780 launch begins around the corner.

My last desktop gpu was the 7800 GTX....weird how the model numbers are so similar :p. That was a sweet card back then too.

These days I get by with an aging ASUS laptop that has a 260m in it. Sadly I was hoping it was similar to the 260GTX but boy was I mistaken lol. The way they use these model numbers is so convoluted.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 22, 2013, 06:47 PM

"Phinz420 wrote:

It didnt take long for me and my friends to all agree the PS4 is the way to go this gen.

Microsoft is focusing on social media elements, gimmicky kinect gameplay and television, things I care very little for.

Its called demographics folks. The "hardcore gamer" is not being catered to by Microsoft any longer. They have seen the amount of profit Nintendo generated during the last gen with comparatively minimal investment, design and marketing overhead. Now they are going to attempt to wrestle control of that market demographic that Nintendo dominated. However I think they are underestimating the brand quality Nintendo carries with them, and their legion of fans. None of the people I know in real life who have an Xbox care at all about Microsoft, they just make the console thats it. People who own Nintendos often tend to be far different than that....Call them fanboys or whatever but they are loyal and I highly doubt that Microsoft can compete with Nintendos "softcore-casual" approach considering Nintendo can rely heavier on nostalgia(Zelda, Mario, Metroid,Donkey Kong, etc) to help people make the decision.

Every bit of "xbox nostalgia" is with hardcore gamers who really loved Halo and Gears of War, Fable, etc....Lets see how loyal those fans are with the limitations put on this new console. . This is by far the worst reveal Ive seen.

The problem with trying to catch the Nintendo crowd is the fact that Nintendo struck gold with the Wii. The WiiU has been a HUGE failure so far.

I think Microsoft made a mistake in their presentation. While all those things they presented are pretty decent applications, however the main audience for an early press conferences are fans. Yes, there are a lot of press, however if all the comments on the press's websites is, "This sucks!", it kind of ruins the whole point of getting it out there.

The presentation was terrible. As a gamer I am not excited at all for an Xbox. It might be my dance central machine if I have an extra $500 to play Dance Central.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
May 22, 2013, 09:49 PM

"Phinz420 wrote:

It didnt take long for me and my friends to all agree the PS4 is the way to go this gen.

Microsoft is focusing on social media elements, gimmicky kinect gameplay and television, things I care very little for.

Its called demographics folks. The "hardcore gamer" is not being catered to by Microsoft any longer.

And Sony wasn't? Seriously most of this angst is going to go away in a month once they reveal the games. Folks are just too daft to realize they split the games out to E3 because it would have been stupid of them to show off the games to and have very little for E3.

Seriously outside of the games locked to accounts bit (which never bugged me since I was never into the used game market...you could always find new for a better price then those crap gamestop used prices. Plus it sounds like you'll still be able to trade/buy used.....but MS is basically cutting Gamestop out of it)....what has really been shown that's different? Not a hell of a lot.

Both consoles focus on the 'extra' features means crap to me since I got my computer hooked up directly to my 55" LED ;p PC Gaming ftw.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 08:06 AM

"Phinz420 wrote:

My last desktop gpu was the 7800 GTX....weird how the model numbers are so similar :p. That was a sweet card back then too.

These days I get by with an aging ASUS laptop that has a 260m in it. Sadly I was hoping it was similar to the 260GTX but boy was I mistaken lol. The way they use these model numbers is so convoluted.

Intel's numbering scheme is far more convoluted than anything the GPU companies put out. The GPU companies just cycle between 3 and 4 digits in their numbers; once they hit 9000 they roll over to 100, and once they hit 900 they roll over to 1000. It's silly but nothing bad.

Now go build yourself a new PC. :lol:

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 08:20 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

The problem with trying to catch the Nintendo crowd is the fact that Nintendo struck gold with the Wii. The WiiU has been a HUGE failure so far.

I think Microsoft made a mistake in their presentation. While all those things they presented are pretty decent applications, however the main audience for an early press conferences are fans. Yes, there are a lot of press, however if all the comments on the press's websites is, "This sucks!", it kind of ruins the whole point of getting it out there.

The presentation was terrible. As a gamer I am not excited at all for an Xbox. It might be my dance central machine if I have an extra $500 to play Dance Central.

I think their planning to pimp the game capabilities at E3. I think they wanted to get the word out about its broad appeal first. I mean, if they knock it out of the park at E3, then gamers' opinions of this announcement won't matter anymore.

Personally, it makes sense they are targeting their info to the proper demographics. The announcement should be about all of its capabilities, its just that gamers are upset because all they care about is games.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 08:22 AM

"Fin D wrote:

I think their planning to pimp the game capabilities at E3.

Of course they're going to show games at E3. That's not in dispute.

The issue is that the focus of the console, from Microsoft's perspective, is not gaming. It's a box that goes in your living room that can play games if you want.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 08:28 AM

"Desides wrote:

Of course they're going to show games at E3. That's not in dispute.

The issue is that the focus of the console, from Microsoft's perspective, is not gaming. It's a box that goes in your living room that can play games if you want.

Or its a game console that will do other stuff if you want.

I guess that's what i don't understand. What if its just as devoted to games as it has been in the past, it just has more capabilities now? If they treat E3 like they always do and go big, doesn't that say they are just as devoted to games as always?

And I didn't mean they were just going to show games at E3. I mean they are going to hype the new machines game capabilities at E3 instead of the announcement.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 08:43 AM

"Fin D wrote:

Or its a game console that will do other stuff if you want.

I guess that's what i don't understand. What if its just as devoted to games as it has been in the past, it just has more capabilities now? If they treat E3 like they always do and go big, doesn't that say they are just as devoted to games as always?

You're coming from the perspective that because it can play games, and because its predecessors could play games, then that must still be the central purpose of the new device.

But the presentation should have told you this isn't a gaming console. It's Microsoft's post-PC box that can play games if you really want to, much like how the iPad is a post-PC device that can play games if you really want to. The main function seems to be media consumption, though that might change into media distribution depending on the E3 announcements and future software updates.

The Xbox One isn't competing against the Playstation 4 in the gaming market.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 09:01 AM

"Desides wrote:

You're coming from the perspective that because it can play games, and because its predecessors could play games, then that must still be the central purpose of the new device.

But the presentation should have told you this isn't a gaming console. It's Microsoft's post-PC box that can play games if you really want to, much like how the iPad is a post-PC device that can play games if you really want to. The main function seems to be media consumption, though that might change into media distribution depending on the E3 announcements and future software updates.

The Xbox One isn't competing against the Playstation 4 in the gaming market.

No I'm saying if they put just as much effort into the gaming capabilities as they always have then it should still be a top notch gaming system like the 360 was but also have non gaming capabilities as well. I don't think we know yet either way. All we saw was a marketing strategy with the announcement, and that isn't really what you should go by when trying to determine the focus on games.

Again, the announcement could easily be about selling its other functionality to a broader audience (and the stock market) and simply waiting to E3 to hype the gaming functionality.

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
May 23, 2013, 09:17 AM

"Desides wrote:

Of course they're going to show games at E3. That's not in dispute.

The issue is that the focus of the console, from Microsoft's perspective, is not gaming. It's a box that goes in your living room that can play games if you want.

We shall see. It's an easy statement to make based off just the reveal. At the same time one can also say they are pimping all the stuff Sony doesn't have ;p

We know they have 15 exclusives coming in the first year, 8 new titles. It'll depend on the quality of those titles though. Shouldn't be hard though. Exclusive wise the 360's best first year were: Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, PGR3, DOA4, Saints Row. Really didn't have it's wow game till right at the anniversary with Gears of War. Sony's wasn't any better. Took them a full year to until their first really good one in Uncharted (Absolutely loved that one).

Honestly, that shouldn't be hard to beat lol. We know they got Quantum Break coming from Remedy (Yes I loved Alan Wake ;p). Ryze from Crytek is another. and I'm hearing one of the 8 new ones will be Respawn's entry (the ex COD guys).

If Microsoft brings the games though Desides, then really all this fluff they are showing off now just makes the overall experience better. And I definitely have my eye on that NFL deal. If that's available for me to watch games off my Xbox that's huge to me since I cut my cable ;p Right now I live off streams.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 09:44 AM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

We shall see. It's an easy statement to make based off just the reveal. At the same time one can also say they are pimping all the stuff Sony doesn't have ;p

We know they have 15 exclusives coming in the first year, 8 new titles. It'll depend on the quality of those titles though. Shouldn't be hard though. Exclusive wise the 360's best first year were: Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, PGR3, DOA4, Saints Row. Really didn't have it's wow game till right at the anniversary with Gears of War. Sony's wasn't any better. Took them a full year to until their first really good one in Uncharted (Absolutely loved that one).

Honestly, that shouldn't be hard to beat lol. We know they got Quantum Break coming from Remedy (Yes I loved Alan Wake ;p). Ryze from Crytek is another. and I'm hearing one of the 8 new ones will be Respawn's entry (the ex COD guys).

If Microsoft brings the games though Desides, then really all this fluff they are showing off now just makes the overall experience better. And I definitely have my eye on that NFL deal. If that's available for me to watch games off my Xbox that's huge to me since I cut my cable ;p Right now I live off streams.

^This.

Its not to say all the worries aren't legit. MS might just **** the bed come E3. I just don't think the announcement sealed the Xbox's gaming fate the way its being talked about. We'll know for sure at E3.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 09:47 AM

"Fin D wrote:

Again, the announcement could easily be about selling its other functionality to a broader audience (and the stock market) and simply waiting to E3 to hype the gaming functionality.

Marketing is a funnel, not a pyramid, though. I think you have the order of operations backwards on this one.

Besides, what non-gaming event would Microsoft have to show off the non-gaming functions going forward? They have E3, Gamescom, and TGS Autumn ahead.

"VanDolPhan wrote:

If Microsoft brings the games though Desides, then really all this fluff they are showing off now just makes the overall experience better. And I definitely have my eye on that NFL deal. If that's available for me to watch games off my Xbox that's huge to me since I cut my cable ;p Right now I live off streams.

You just confirmed my point here. :lol:

Also, it seems that you guys are thinking that I'm phrasing this "non-gaming function" point negatively. Ceding strict gaming is not necessarily a bad move when you consider who the real market juggernaut is.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:00 AM

"Desides wrote:

Marketing is a funnel, not a pyramid, though. I think you have the order of operations backwards on this one.

Besides, what non-gaming event would Microsoft have to show off the non-gaming functions going forward? They have E3, Gamescom, and TGS Autumn ahead.

You've completely lost me.

The announcement of the system was used to promote ALL its capabilities, including gaming. They are waiting for E3 to really hype the gaming. They can advertise any time and anywhere to reach the broad market. I mean you're actually saying that there has to be niche event to reach a broad market.....that's makes no sense.

I suspect what's really going on here is that gamers/fanboys are just pissy that the announcement wasn't entirely about gaming. If the new box had all the non gaming functionality that was announced but all they talked about was the gaming, there'd be considerably less doom and gloom. Basically many are over reacting based on the limited info available.

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 23, 2013, 10:09 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

The WiiU has been a HUGE failure so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWns

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:16 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWns

I was really mad when I made that video.

finyank13finyank13New Member
May 23, 2013, 10:18 AM

"Fin D wrote:

I was really mad when I made that video.

You game? who knew? my mind is blown....

I picture you a Sim City kinda gamer.....AmIRight?

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:29 AM

"Fin D wrote:

The announcement of the system was used to promote ALL its capabilities, including gaming. They are waiting for E3 to really hype the gaming. They can advertise any time and anywhere to reach the broad market. I mean you're actually saying that there has to be niche event to reach a broad market.....that's makes no sense.

I'm saying that using a trade event to reach what is supposed to be the core audience is not proof that the priorities have not changed. What else is Microsoft going to talk about at E3--its Azure cloud services? No, of course they're going to talk about games there. This in and of itself is not evidence of what you are saying. Additionally, we'll hear more about gaming because there are three trade shows--E3, Gamescom, TGS Autumn--between now and the One's release, while there are no trade shows related to, say, cloud sharing and streaming. So we'll hear about gaming capabilities because the upcoming events are about gaming. But again, that does not mean that the device is intended primarily as a gaming machine. It just means that Microsoft is showing off their post-PC device at gaming events.

I suspect what's really going on here is that gamers/fanboys are just pissy that the announcement wasn't entirely about gaming.

This could be true generally, but is not true in my instance. I just dropped $650 on a new GTX 780, so I have no dog in the Xbox fight.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:32 AM

"Fin D wrote:

You've completely lost me.

The announcement of the system was used to promote ALL its capabilities, including gaming. They are waiting for E3 to really hype the gaming. They can advertise any time and anywhere to reach the broad market. I mean you're actually saying that there has to be niche event to reach a broad market.....that's makes no sense.

I suspect what's really going on here is that gamers/fanboys are just pissy that the announcement wasn't entirely about gaming. If the new box had all the non gaming functionality that was announced but all they talked about was the gaming, there'd be considerably less doom and gloom. Basically many are over reacting based on the limited info available.

I think that was a mistake. There is plenty of time to hype all of the other things that the system can do. Gamers and fanboys should have been their main audience for the first press conference. That is who is going to get excited about the machine, that is who is going to tell their friends about it, and those are the people that are going to put out the most stuff on the internets.

Right now the buzz on the XboxOne isn't good and it should be after the first press conference. I thought Sony did a much better job and they didn't even show a game console.

To your last point, Microsoft spends millions of dollars to gauge reaction and figure out what causes buzz. I think they made a mistake with showing a really terrible press conference.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:40 AM

"Desides wrote:

I'm saying that using a trade event to reach what is supposed to be the core audience is not proof that the priorities have not changed. What else is Microsoft going to talk about at E3--its Azure cloud services? No, of course they're going to talk about games there. This in and of itself is not evidence of what you are saying. Additionally, we'll hear more about gaming because there are three trade shows--E3, Gamescom, TGS Autumn--between now and the One's release, while there are no trade shows related to, say, cloud sharing and streaming. So we'll hear about gaming capabilities because the upcoming events are about gaming. But again, that does not mean that the device is intended primarily as a gaming machine. It just means that Microsoft is showing off their post-PC device at gaming events.

This could be true generally, but is not true in my instance. I just dropped $650 on a new GTX 780, so I have no dog in the Xbox fight.

You misunderstand. I'm not saying because they'll be at E3 means they are still game first. I'm saying they were saving their game centric sales pitch for a games centric event.

I'm also saying they don't need trade shows to tout the non game capabilities because that is all broad market appeal stuff, so they can just advertise that functionality anywhere.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:43 AM

"Fin D wrote:

You misunderstand. I'm not saying because they'll be at E3 means they are still game first. I'm saying they were saving their game centric sales pitch for a games centric event.

That's... what I just said.

I'm also saying they don't need trade shows to tout the non game capabilities because that is all broad market appeal stuff, so they can just advertise that functionality anywhere.

They can, yes. And they likely will. But it's not about "broad market appeal stuff", it's about making a set top box, not a gaming console.

You'll start seeing more of this shift as we get closer to release, and especially afterward. Just compare and contrast the way Sony and Microsoft present their devices going forward.

Also, one facet that we're not talking about here is the fact that Microsoft management has absolutely no idea about their core markets. Use Windows 8 and ask yourself who they intended that product for, because not even senior management will be able to tell you. That "mentality" is carrying over to their other products, this included.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
May 23, 2013, 10:46 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I think that was a mistake. There is plenty of time to hype all of the other things that the system can do. Gamers and fanboys should have been their main audience for the first press conference. That is who is going to get excited about the machine, that is who is going to tell their friends about it, and those are the people that are going to put out the most stuff on the internets.

Right now the buzz on the XboxOne isn't good and it should be after the first press conference. I thought Sony did a much better job and they didn't even show a game console.

To your last point, Microsoft spends millions of dollars to gauge reaction and figure out what causes buzz. I think they made a mistake with showing a really terrible press conference.

I disagree. I think they took the announcement as an opportunity to serve notice that they are trying to be more than just games. Gamer word of mouth can easily be changed after E3. The game consoles will fight it out in trade shows, gamer centric blogs/web sites and library titles, they don't really need a lot of traditional advertising to get the gamer stuff out. They do however, need to attack the broader non gamer market to convince these non gamers to get the box in their house.