1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Flash: Rookie QB plays like a Rookie QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Not a pretty or fun game to watch.

This is what happens when you start a rookie QB. They will have games where everything goes wrong. Ryan's had one before against Houston and he stepped up and played well following that.

What happens in the next 2 or 3 games is going to be the measure of RT.

I happen to like what I saw in a lot of RT today, the same as I liked a lot of what I saw RT do against Houston. He had a handful of dreadful passes mixed in with a lot of steady passing. In both games he was by my count about 85% OK and 15% dreadful.

Similar to the Houston game Ryan didn't get bailed out by the D. In both games if the D had stood up and collected a few turnovers of their own the game might have been salvageable.

No need for pitchforks or to start analysing the QB class of the 2013 draft just yet.

If he strings together 2 or 3 games like this then I will get worried. But if we are starting a rookie QB we have to expect to lose 2 or 3 games this season because our rookie QB plays like a rookie QB

jsizzle, FinsPensFan and shouright like this.
  2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    But that's not supposed to happen to us, because we're Miami Dolphins fans, and our rookie QB is special!

jsizzle and Pauly like this.
  3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Tannehill did indeed have his worst game today, but he isn't at fault alone. There wasn't much of an effort out there period today. If they don't get Tannehill some support, however, it's going to end up Sam Bradford all over again.

oakelmpine likes this.
  4. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Sad thing is before the rookie QB made his first mistake, we were down 14-0 because everyone else was making mistakes.

Reggie Bush fumbles
    We can't get convert a 3rd and 1 to save our lives apparently. John Jerry got blown up on that play.
    Our defense gave up a few 3rd downs already
    Like 5 penalties in the first 10 minutes

If execute better right off the bat, we may jump out to an early lead.

Everyone sucked today from the minute the ball was kicked off. Tannehill only started sucking when his team dug him a huge hole. He's not good enough or experienced enough to get his team out of those holes yet

Ohio Fanatic and oakelmpine like this.
  5. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    If Ryan Tannehill had an identical game to last week with a >90 passer rating, we still don't win that game today. In fact we still lose by double digits, IMO. That's how bad the rest of the team was

MAFishFan and oakelmpine like this.
  6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Outside of the third interception, I really didnt think Tannehill had a bad game at all. The first INT, another dreaded deflection. The second INT to me, should have never happened, it should have been defensive pass interference, holding, or illegal contact. Something, anything, Fasano was getting mugged.

The last INT though from Ryan was the ugly one to me. He saw the LB showing blitz, then took the snap, dropped back, stared down the WR who was going to the spot on the field that the LB that Ryan thought was blitzing should be, and he fired it in there thinking he had done the right thing. However, he failed to even notice the LB didn't end up coming on the blitz. It happens. Especially too rookies. But, you at least got to look i think.

Really though, I dont think he played bad at all today.

The Bush fumble killed us. The penalties. The lack of players making plays on defense, loosing contain on runs, over pursuing, all that stuff killed us far more than RT today IMO. Sure, it hangs on him for his statline showing 3 INT. I dont put all the blame there though.

MAFishFan likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think all of the underneath stuff Sherman is using is hurting THill's development, and the offense, defenders are once again packing in that 20 yd box around the LoS and Sherman simply will not call stuff down the field to take the top off of the Defense.

It's maddening.

8. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Excellent post.

Eop05 likes this.
  9. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    It is maddening, but the question is, if we have a WR going deep, is he just not open and Tannehill doesn't throw it to him? We had a couple of relatively deep tosses today, but they were both a few milliseconds too late

10. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Well I don't know about that, because then you're talking about removing at least two of the three interceptions and replacing them with at least one touchdown. That fundamentally changes this game.

This one was on Tannehill IMO, and that's gonna happen with a rookie.

jdang307 likes this.
  11. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Yeah, our offense was prolific otherwise. We couldn't muster first downs let alone points in GARBAGE TIME, against a garbage team.

12. Eop05

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Question is why?

I think it has some to do with the Offensive Line. Lots of those deep routes require double moves to create separation. Double moves take time to execute and develop. Maybe Sherman doesn't trust the protection

But again, this is just one reason I could see preventing Sherman from calling these plays/routes. But I agree, I'd like to see us try to open up the opposing defense more. Even if we don't complete the pass, you still keep the other team on it's heels and prevent them from pinning their ears back.

13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I put all 3 on him.

The first one was tipped. If it's tipped by your own receiver than you get a pass. When the other team tips it, it's your fault. The defender is in the passing lane. So Tanny missed him.

The second one, even if it was pass interference it does not matter. Watch the replay. The guy was all over Fasano from the beginning. He should not have even attempted that pass.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Nothing on the run scripted, nothing on the improvisational level...kid has to get more engaged into the action, start using his entire skillset instead of just his arm..

shouright likes this.