1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Years Choices At Quarterback

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by princekong2, Dec 19, 2010.

1. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    With Our Season Coming To An End, Its Come Clear That We Need a New Quarterback Under Center. Heres A List of Possible & Reasonable Choices at Quarterback

-Donovan McNabb: Having A Poor Season In Washington and Just Got Benched, Might Not Have Anymore in the Tank, But a Veteran Who Has Been To the Superbowl and Many Playoff Apperances

-Kevin Kolb (via Trade) : Havent Seen much on him Has His Good Games and Bad Games, Played Under a WCO At Philly.

-Vince Young: Maturity is a Huge Issue, Which is a Reason Why He might be Leaving Tennessee, Can Hurt Defenses with His legs, Has a Winning Record

-Ryan Mallet -Great Arm, Accuracy is Something Slight. Might Be Our Best Chance as Our Franchise Quarterback Next Year.

-Ricky Stanzi: Hes Kind of Like Henne, Can Be Good, But at Times :no: , Turns the Ball over Alot, But It Seems like He Can Be a Good Quarterback in The League, Just Needs To be More Consistent

-Greg McElroy: Doesnt Have A Strong Arm, But When was the Last Time We Threw the Ball Deep Successfully? Kind Of Reminds Me Of Drew Brees and Penne Put Together, (THAT BE AWESOME).

-Cam Newton: If He Comes Out This Year, Mr.Heisman Himself, Can Be A Decent Quarterback in the League, Might Even Be Great.

-I Doubt We Could Get Luck Since there are like 4 Teams in Front Of Us Who Need Quarterbacks.

If It Were Up To Me Id Draft Ryan Mallet Or Greg McElroy. They Look Like Their Best Chance Of Success.

Who Would you Want?

2. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    You really put Greg Mcelroy, Ricki Stanzi, and Cam Newton up there? I would become a Jets fan if we even thought about taking one of them.

Same with getting Vince Young... Really?

3. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    reasonable yes, would it fix our offensive woes, probally not.

4. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    I Mean The Only Way To Fix Our Offensive woes is To Fire Henning. We'd Probably Score more than 20 TDS every season

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I like McElroy a lot. Of the list and considering investment cost, he'd be my choice.

I'm very intrigued by Newton though and would be pretty excited if we took him.

I am not high on Mallet, but just like Henne I'd support him and want him to do well.

djphinfan likes this.
  6. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Not saying we should go this direction, but Stanzi doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He threw only four interceptions this year.

7. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    trade up for luck, we go the cheap route forever, its time we do what the jets did bite the bullet and trade up

8. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It would take three first round picks. Perhaps two and a little more to do it.

9. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    so be it we've wasted 2nds on feeley, beck, henne, white, and gotten nothing for them. at least if way pay the price and get the right one we're set for 10-12 years. I mean Sanchez is no great shakes but he won that game today..... and he is getting better, Henne goes back and forth week to week and doesnt really grow. lets pay the price and, get our own flacco or Ryan, even if we step back for a year.

10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    If they price was this years first, next years first and 3rd. i would it in a heart beat.

11. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It could also crush the team for years, not just slightly severely. Remember the two first rounders the team lost from Ricky (that was felt right around 06-07 in talent). Imagine that but perhaps worse if he doesn't workout. If anything the three best QBs Miami has had in this time period have been free agents, veterans that have proven solid elsewhere but need a strong cast. I would argue that Chad Pennington in 2008 is no better than Carson Palmer now. Same with McNabb and Orton. These guys are decent QBs, at least mid-level. It's a start.

12. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I would trade the entire next 3 drafts for Luck...Ireland's great at finding hidden gems. But no, we'll wait and see while another promising young defense grows old and withers away.

13. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    are you Chad Henne? you sound like it with the same lets play it safe attitude, sometimes you have to go for the best out there. you trust the Talent, its not like the kipers and the Mayocks havent talked of Lucks talent for years. I guess you think its ok to just throw away another 2nd for yet another project, with a great arm but a ten cent head. Like I said Henne has more talent than Sanchez, but Sanchez knows how to lead and he's fearless back there.

we need a leader and Henne just doesnt get it

14. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    And you sound like a miserable debater. Find anywhere were I've said play it safe. I'm saying take what opportunities you have, be aggressive and do them to their upmost. I don't see a QB worth drafting in the first round that has the accuracy I like. Pat Devlin at best might be the guy. Luck is as available as Manning right now to Miami. Miami likely finishes with the 16th overall pick, nowhere close to what it would need even if it gave a future 1st. I've heard of straw-man arguments but you took it to another level.

15. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    you did say :"I would argue that Chad Pennington in 2008 is no better than Carson Palmer now. Same with McNabb and Orton. These guys are decent QBs, at least mid-level. It's a start." did you not. those retreads cant even win with their own teams....We need a Ryan, a Flacco, or a Sanchez. those guys you pay for.

The Jets had the 17th pick and they traded 3 roster players and picks to move up.... you think we couldnt move a 1st and 2nd and Wake and not get to number 1? I love wake but id move him for a real franchise QB

a real franchise QB wins games that no defensive lineman can win

16. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Oh boy, I tried to make this argument a couple of weeks ago and got shot down by the Henne people. Lets see if they are bold enough to challenge you on this.

17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I really wouldn't mind taking a chance on Carson Palmer. I mean that. Not sign him to a huge contract but I think a change of scenery could do him good. I mean what other options are there? Kolb? Unknown and woud cost us picks and/or players. Vince Young is a mental head case. McNabb is older and just hasn't played well and would probably go to Arizona. And we may not have a shot at someone in the draft.

18. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    You are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad............and I agree with you 100% :up:

19. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sanchez isn't the reason they're winning games. Those guys aren't winning with their teams maybe but they're outperforming Sanchez. Not to mention that Flacco has a heck of a team around. Ryan is a legit QB but we don't have a guy like that available.

If there was a first round QB worth mentioning aside from Luck I would say go for it but there isn't right now. Heck the only possibility worth mentioning would be a 1st+1st+1st for Luck, you sign a decent C, LG and fill-in at the other skill positions. In fact that's not such a bad idea really, but is that even available you don't know.

Another name worth mentioning, he's struggled but I would take a look at Jimmy Clausen.

20. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    in truth I said the same but Bam told me to really watch him and see how he leads them, and I have to admit he was right, whether its hopping around on a bad leg to beat the Texans, or runninfg with 5 guys after him to score that td that beat pittsburgh, the Kid just has moxy and I have to respect that...... Henne doesnt lead, he's a passenger. Im convinced we're just as talented as they are, but we have Tony and Chad and they have Rex and the Mexican

21. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Jaj is right on what he was saying, If we trade a boatload of picks to move up, and the player doesn't pan out, we just set ourselves back another 3 or 4 years. One player is not going to fix this cluster we got going on offense. Not at the price it would take to land him.

22. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Ryan was available but we typically passed on him. I know Jake Long is a great player but come on we passed on Ryan. I argued we should draft him and MANY members
    here started calling him Marty Popsicle and how he would never develop into an Nfl QB. Then we passed on Drew Brees not once but twice. Since 1983 we have not a qb
    in the first round and it is time foe us to stop ignoring what is obvious.

Pandarilla likes this.
  23. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    so we waste 5 years of 2nd round picks instead and we still dont have a QB....???????????????????
    yeah that works.......

sometimes you get what you pay for

24. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No what I'm saying is that if opportunity and reality meet we make the move. Until then we use free agent QBs to not waste more draft picks.

Right now Jon Gruden is the guy I think will be the next Dolphin HC. Look at the guys available and I think McNabb has a good shot of being a Dolphin. That's where I think we're headed.

25. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Pleas no McNabb he is another Culpeper in the works.

26. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Jaj i understand what your saying, but reality will never allow that. We're too good to go 1-15, we could be on a treadmill between 10-6 and 6-10 for years and never be in position to get the guy who ultimately could lead us to a championship. Have we forgotten what Dan Marino meant to this franchise?

even though we never won it all we had a chance every year because we had a winner back of center

27. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    I Doubt The Panthers Are Going To Call It Quits With Clausen After His Rookie Year, They Might Test Him Out For Another. The Kid Hasnt Been Horrible.

28. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree Jai...not a player worth going after imo..

Pandarilla likes this.
  29. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    If he gets injured bad then he might not play as well as he should have.

30. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The investment in McNabb would be small and that's how Gruden works he takes mobile veterans.

Joey if you fire away on a first round pick that's not the guy you also forego three years of perhaps drafting "the guy" in the next few drafts. I thought the world of Aaron Rodgers in 2005 and they passed on him. I don't see that in Mallet, I don't see it in anyone but perhaps Devlin. Build a team, continue to build something special that's what you do right now if you're Miami and you have long-term goals and plans. That means no RB 1st rounders, perhaps a TE if there was a guy worth it, a C if there was one but there isn't.

Listen I'd rather they fix this by going three years worth of competing just to get in and then something better then go all out for nothing. Relax, get some affordable, veterans, get the right coaches, and when that franchise QB is available make a move. Put it this way, I'd rather go full-fledged after Andrew Luck, then stick myself to Mallet, Locker, or Newton. If that means a 1st, 1st, and 2nd so be it. Luck IS a franchise guy. He's the guy that can be raised to beat New England etc etc...

Perhaps you find a gem somewhere to make up for that first round pick. Maybe another CFL guy.

You have a point though in one sense. The cost-benefit of true franchise, 21 year old QB, THAT guy is worth two first round picks maybe even more. Henne with three first rounders on offense isn't the equivalent of Brady. You give Henne Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, and Kyle Rudolph and I still see Brady putting up better numbers, same for Manning, same for Rivers.

Take a look for example at what a team with Luck would look like at best this year:

QB- Luck, Henne, Thigpen
    RB- Brown, Jerome Harrison, third round pick like Noel Devine
    FB- Polite
    TE- Fasano, Rosario
    LT- Long
    LG- cheap veteran maybe a Wade Smith, Nate Garner as well
    C- Kalil
    RG- Jerry
    RT- Carey
    WR- Marshall, Bess
    WR- Hartline, Arcenaux

It's not ideal. You don't have an amazing skill position group, but it's good. The line is solid, not incredible but you have something in the sense that you have a QB, a LT, a #1WR, a NT, a top ROLB, a #1 CB, and a NT. Those are the prime positions. They are ALL filled and the surrounding talent is fulfilled with solid players across the board. Heck Fitzpatrick wishes he had that much even.

It will be annoying not having two more 1sts the next couple of years, but necessity breeds invention or in this case you look for players across the board perhaps even more so than you would if you had two 1sts.

It might not be such a bad investment after all...

gunn34 and Pandarilla like this.
  31. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    I rather douse myself in gasoline, set myself on fire and jump off the 20th floor of a building butt naked before I ever become a Jets fan.

32. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Trade for Matt Flynn

33. joeyp

joeyp New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    That Is exactly what im advocating Jaj. if and its a big if I grant you, but if Ireland and the Scouts agree that Luck is a franchise QB, then I say go for it.... weve wasted countless 2nd rounders trying for lightning in a bottle and that has a cost too.

imagine if we were 6-10 this year but we knew we had The Next Marino back there, we'd be so psyched and wouldnt mind a bad year, Right now it all seems so hopeless and like you I thoght we'd be a lock for the playoffs after Marshall and Dansby got here...... Right now I feel like we're worse than we were at the end of last season, because I thought Henne would improve.....instead he's shown he'll never be more than a Placeholder..... I hate feeling this way but its true

34. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Iowa's defense blew a lot of leads this year. Stanzi is a good quarterback and I'd be fine with him coming to Miami in the 3rd or 4th round. And I'd be willing to bet two of Stanzi's four interceptions came because our receivers would tip the ball up to a defender... I remember at least two. And there were only four interceptions.

I don't think Stanzi and Henne are that much alike. Henne has the bigger arm, but Stanzi seems willing to take more risks. Stanzi is a hell of a lot faster than Henne, he is actually surprisingly fast.

I think at worst he would be a great back-up in the NFL...

35. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It's easy to say we need to spend a first round pick on a QB. Problem is, After Luck, I just don't like the options in round 1. I don't see a Ben R or even a Brees out there.

Mallett has a canon but a slow release, plays in a pass happy offense, and does not have great feet. I think his development could be slow or never come round.

Newton? Looks like another in the line of big, fast, dominant college QBs that struggle to make it at the pro level b/c the physicality and speed prevent running all the time and they just aren't developed at a pro level QB. So, it's much more of a gamble with him. But, I think I'd take him over Mallet b/c at least he'd add some excitement.

Of those vets listed in the first post- I wouldn't take any of them. Carson Palmer has some skills but he makes so many dumb mistakes - I don't know what his deal is.

It's not a banner year for the QB position in the draft, imo.

If the kid from Missouri comes out - I'd take a look at him but he looks like a potential mid-2nd round pick (which we don't have).

Stitches likes this.
  36. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    There simply is no shot at Luck. It's a pipe dream and there's no shot the Dolphins get him. He's the #1 pick. He's not going to go to a team drafting at #16. Even if we were at #5 or #7 we'd have to give up the same amount.

This is especially true b/c teams know that a franchise QB is the most important factor in the NFL these days.

37. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Whoever gets that first round pick is going to take Luck. It's not an option. Matt Flynn looked pretty good last night but I don't know if they would get rid of him with all of Rodgers concussions.

gunn34 likes this.
  38. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Thing is, we don't need to fix things completely on offense next year, we just need to be average, PRESUMING that the defense continues to improve, of course.

39. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Sorry i am not for drafting a Quarterback anymore. It's just to big of a crap shoot. I would rather pay someone a bigt check and know they can play somewhat in this league. Also not looking to get an aged QB. 3-4 year pro and pay him.. We have no chance getting a STUD qb in the draft this year.

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Even if you don't like Carson, he's a free agent and he's the best option there is outside of making a trade or going all out to do something else. In all likeliness that's what the team will do is get a guy like him.