1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL.com: 'Phins GM discusses draft moves

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Silverphin, May 8, 2014.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Miami, FL -- With their draft over, the Miami Dolphins have managed to pull in quite a haul despite only using up seven selections. Jeff Darlington sat down with Silver "Silverphin" Phinley before regarding his aggressive overhaul of the offensive line. This time, he sits with the Miami Dolphins' General Manager to discuss the draft.

JD: Well, let's start. How are you feeling about the draft?

Silverphin: Honestly? I'm feeling great about this draft. I feel as if every draft pick can come in and contribute sometime this season, if not day one. If they perform the way I expect them to, there's no doubt that The Miami Dolphins will be in playoffs.

JD: Now, of all the prospects that you acquired, you managed to land Jadeveon Clowney, who a lot of people believe to be the best prospect in this draft. How did that happen?

Silverphin: Well, the Seahawks were shopping him around, and I gave the best offer. We didn't expect for him to be available by any means. We were actually going to select Kony Ealy. But I'm glad I acquired him. Not only did we get younger at the defensive end position, we now have four defensive ends that can rush the passer consistently. Plus, Clowney's a monster against the run as well. Needless to say, I believe our defensive line is what the young ones would "beastly".

JD: After Clowney, you made your first official selection of the draft in the top of the second round, selecting Donte Moncreif. With the trading of both Hartline and Wallace, how crucial was this selection?

Silverphin: Very crucial. Granted, a starting combination of Santonio Holmes and Tandon Doss could be solid, I felt that a receiver that could do it all at the wide receiver position was needed. Donte has experience running a lot of routes at Ole Miss, and has the speed to be a deep threat. Because of that, I feel as if I can move around all five of the receivers on the roster to give the defense different looks and force a lot mismatches.

JD: Interesting. So, after Moncreif, you selected Defensive Tackle Dominique Easley. Is he a replacement for Starks and/or Odrick?

Silverphin: Pretty much. I like what Soliai can do as a run stuffer, but I needed someone next to him that disrupt the running game in the backfield and rush the QB from up the middle. Despite UF's disappointing season, Easley was consistent, and had it not been for his knee injury the year prior, he probably could have been a first rounder. So, I'm excited to see what he does on the field, especially next to a space eater.

JD: We're going to talk about the third round. There seemed to have been a mix-up between The Dolphins and The Falcons regarding a trade. What happened?

Silverphin: I'm not going to lie to you, I may or may not have been distracted with taunting...er... I mean, texting Tom Brady. I misinterpreted the phone call. I tried to send them a fourth rounder for their waterboy, who can hydrate players like nobody's business, but all was forgiven, and they got their target.

JD: But you were also trying to get into the third round, correct?

Silverphin: Right. Lazor and I were talking about Dri Archer, who we selected in the fourth round. For some years now, there have been a rise of running backs that are small, fast, elusive, and have great hands. We felt that Dri Archer could be used as weapon to same way that the Chiefs used Dexter McCluster. So, we traded up in the 4th round to grab him. I'm excited to see how he could be used in this offense.

JD: After Dri Archer, you used your lone compensatory pick on another defensive lineman. This lineman is Kerry Hyder out of Texas Tech. I overheard some talk that he is a project for the D-line coach. Is that correct?

Silverphin: That is true. Hyder has things that we like. Active hands, and a high motor.... however, his body could use to some reworking. Expect him to be with the trainer this offseason. But, he's a hardworker, and that's all you can really ask for.

JD: Now, let's talk tight ends. Charles Clay had a breakout season last year, and Jermaine Gresham had been a two-time Pro Bowler with the Bengals. What made you look at Justin Jones and say "You know what? Let's get this guy?"

Silverphin: Well, for one, we needed a third tight end. Secondly, Justin Jones is extremely strong and extremely tall. We felt that he'd be great as not only an extra blocker, but also as a redzone target. You can teach a lot of things, but you can't teach height.

JD: Fair enough. Now, finally, you selected who quite a few people believe to be the best punter in the draft. What made him the pick?

Silverphin: He has a huge leg, the size of a running back, fullback, or even a linebacker, and the speed to actually get to the returner. With some minor coaching, he'll become the best punter in the league.

JD: Thank you, Mr. Phinely.

Silverphin: Thank you.