1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL.com's Mockery of a Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CaribPhin, Mar 3, 2010.

1. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816b3cfa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Ok, why are we suddenly going to draft Earl Thomas at number 12? Is it really that bad in Miami to draft either Earl Thomas or Dan Williams at 12 as per every NFL.com mock draft? How about these scenarios:

Sign Dansby. Use our first to get Marshall. Use our second for someone like Tony Scheffler. Third round go NT and draft the best available ILB and FS. Or, we could not get Scheffler, draft Jimmy Graham in the third, go NT in the second, get the best available LB and FS. Keeping in mind we have Karlos Dansby and a 2008 Channing Crowder (hopefully).

Benefits: Star WR. Solid NT. Pass catching TE.
    Disadvantages: Diva WR. Questionable talent left at LB and FS.

Sign Dansby. Trade down our first to someone like Baltimore who wants a receiver if they don't get Brandon Marshall. Draft the best LB available. Use two second rounders on a DT (Cam?) and the best Free Safety available. Get Jmmy Graham in the third round. If someone signs Fasano we'd have another second rounder and could possibly go LB again. Sign Antonio Bryant.

Benefits: Solid (if healthy) WR. Solid LB, NT, and FS. Pass catching TE.
    Disadvantages: Solid (if healthy) WR. Missing LB in 3-4 Defense.

These are just speculations. I'm no expert as someone like Gish would adamantly argue. I just don't think NFL.com has it right.

The common theme is my desire to sign Karlos Dansby.

2. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well considering we don't have a true ball hawk at the safety position, Earl Thomas makes plenty of sense. Gibril Wilson played better last year than a lot of people think but Yeremiah Bell aside from all the tackles, didn't perform all that well. That being said, a year of experience for the rookie corners, a healthy Will Allen and a better pass rush could make the secondary much better. Earl Thomas though would go a long way to making us have one of the best secondaries overall in the NFL.

As for the rest of it, you are talking about minimum 50 million guaranteed for Marshall and Dansby. I just don't see them paying that at all considering the owner has said there will be a self imposed salary cap. Scheffler for a 2nd is a horrible trade. I like the Dansby signing but leaving out the rest would be fine with me.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i liked ur post until the part about me. dont make me taze you. :tongue2:

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    In any of those scenarios who exactly is going to rush the passer?

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Dansby for SOLB, or president. We also have a situational rusher in Cameron Wake. Hardly a perfect situation but It's the best I can come up with.

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Well the second one has nothing to do with Scheffler or Marshall.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Look man, don't taze me bro. It's all love man.

GISH likes this.
  8. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    But even the trade down scenario is highly unlikely.

Personally, Id like to see Dansby signed. As far as unrestricted FA receivers go, I like Kevin Walter. Walter goes about 6'3 220 which is the size the receiving corp is lacking right now. Decent enough of a deep threat and could prove useful in the redzone. Im also partial to signing Kirk Morrison right now as well. Im just curious as to what kind of contract he wants.

9. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    We don't know how good Walter will be without Andre Johnson on the other side of him. IMO, we have enough #2 WRs. We only need a #1, and Walter is not that.

10. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    You also have take what the market gives you. Right now, the only way we get a #1 is either trade or wait for the draft. I don't see a trade happening and its very iffy that Dez Bryant is there at 12. At least Walter gives us some insurance. He could at least bring size and experience to a unit that needs it. Im just curious as to how much he wants.

11. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    That's NOT what was said. He said he doesn't believe in buying championships, which doesn't really work anyway. He believes in brains. A first for Marshall is stupid. Using a first on Earl Thomas is stupid when it's entirely possible OJ Atogwe might be tendered with no draft compensation involved; it's also stupid when our year-to-year troubles with safety have one common variable, discontinuity.

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He did confirm it though

Doesn't mean we won't spend. Just that there's a limit.

As for Pat Kirwin's mock draft, we'd be quite fortunate to end up with a ballhawking free safety like Earl Thomas. He might be a new projection to the media but not here (Club, Draft forums).

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Beacuse he's EXACTLY what we need to have a good-great secondary. A guy who can play centerfield, dish out punishment, and make the occasional interception. Plus we could cut Gibril and free up more cap space. All of this assumes we grab Karlos Dansby, if not, I dont think we can afford to not go LB.

mroz likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Pretty much the exact reason why I use the 12 on Marshall.....is anybody worth taking at that spot, better than Marshall...It would suck cuz we all would have nothing to do on Thursday night, but hey whatever....

I say it over and over again, when a legit top 5 of any position that is of QB and WR becomes available, you have to consider it heavily.....THIS IS THE FINAL ANSWER TO THIS MULTI-YEAR RIDICULOUSLY FAILED SEARCH TO FIND A TRUE NUMBER ONE RECEIVER!!!!

15. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Why draft Thomas? I don't know but did you watch the Fins play pass defense last year? :no:

16. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    never mind who is going to rush the passer, his scenerio would leave us with the same safety problems we had last year. The NFL is a passing league and we will not be competative until we fix our secondary.

17. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I personally would not pick Earl Thomas there (considering who was all still available), but I don't think that would be a bad selection ither. I just wish he was bigger than 5-8 180......oh well. Anyone catch his combine numbers lol?

And Dez 25, and Odrick 29...wowza.

18. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The secondary could be fixed/improved just by getting a more consistant pass rush. This stuff goes hand in hand.

19. PerfectTeam

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL

Dolphins | Ross says team will have cap
    Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:26:40 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the team will have a self-imposed salary cap for next season.

Problem is again, what kind of money does Atogwe want. He has been franchised in the past and probably wants very good money. I just don't see them paying that after paying Bell and Wilson last year. Drafting an Earl Thomas or Eric Berry for me is the better way to go.

20. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    that's not a bad mock. I've seen worse. If we end up with Thomas, I would not be disappointed. It would be a lot better than Kindle in a lot of mocks i've seen.

21. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Don't make me taze you
    the immortal words of Jaafar Jackson...COME HERE BLANKET DON'T MAKE ME TAZE YOU