1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Draft - Day 3

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What pick did I tout like a blind cheerleader?

2. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    A friendly word of advice, throw an IMO in these comments somewhere, just sayin.

resnor likes this.
  3. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah sometimes I forget to put that in, but I think it goes without saying, it's my opinion.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

4. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Godchaux is lousy on tape...6th round pick so whatev but no way can that be considered a top 3 option out the gate at dt rotation wise...junior so that helps with the development but the tape is lousy...looks put together better than he plays
    Isiah ford basically at va tech was used like a speed wr route concept wise minus the quick slant game...only problem is the guy doesnt separate from anyone and has no long speed...uphill climb to say the least to crack this wr corp...better ball out on specials

5. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah Godchaux is terrible to watch does absolutely nothing particularly well. Nick Williams who we already have on the roster will probably beat him out easily. The taylor pick I like better he shows some real upside in his quickness and athleticism eventhough he is still very raw and I don't see him as a reliable guy for the 3 DT rotation. He might make it on the practice squad this year. Really think we should have taken Stevie Tuikolovatu, D. J. Jones or Jarrad Jones instead of Godchaux.

The ford pick also makes no sense we don't need another WR and his vertical route game won't work in the pros due to his lack of speed and separation. He also has no experience on special teams and is not particularly physical so I don't see where he will fit on the roster.

A guy like Jon Toth would have been a much better pick at that point.

Seems like greer just basically sat down and took whichever player was highest on his board, problem is I feel that board wasn't laid out properly and he should have paid attention to need a little more.

I liked the Asiata, Tankersely and McMillan picks, although I personally would have taken Cunningham who has a lot more upside over McMillan.

The charles harris pick was my biggest gripe, harris is very flawed and overrated. I feel we should have definitely traded down for more picks there to fill some of the other holes we still have at safety, nickel CB, 3DT and Guard/tackle depth.

6. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    sticking to my board

22 taco Charlton
    54 Zach Cunningham other finalist obi melifonwu josh jones
    97 dorian Johnson
    trade up in 5th for desmond king

the board never played out where safety was the right value in the first 2 days

7. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Every single player in this draft had their own flaws. Saying that Harris is overrated is just nonsense. No one here nor in the national media is "overrating" Harris.

Per PFF (Typically I don't use PFF, but these are facts and not their opinions): Consistently one of the nation’s top pass-rushers in two years as a starter. Had at least five pressures in eight of the 12 games he played in this year.

As has been mentioned, he needs to beef up his run stopping skills. However, he's not as bad as some here think. And there is no reason that as smart and athletic as he is that he can't be coached up in that regard.

To compare...look at what PFF says about Garrett:

• While improved against the run, still has to prove it against NFL offensive linemen
    • May never be a great run defender

Guys like Garrett, Harris, and other DE's with pass rushing abilities are often used for just that in college. It's funny to me because in PFF's grading of Garrett they give him the benefit of the doubt when they write: Has not had many opportunities to hold the point in the run game..., but they don't say the same about Harris when they criticize his run stopping ability. lol

8. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I saw a pretty efficient swim move and lateral agility on tape, he might have been used as a "space eater" on some plays, but it didn't look like he was super comfortable with it.

My view on him is kind of in line with PFF's assessment of him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dr...um=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign

9. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I'm not sure about their take, first off they say his position was 5 tech at LSU, now I did see him at 5 tech on occasion, but he was usually in 3 or 1, even 2 gapping at times.

Honestly, it would seem to me that they mixed up their evals, or their eval and mine are just way different, he does have decent tech but is slow, so I see his passrush disappearing in the NFL, and he had mixed results vs X2, but I think with a pro strength & conditioning program he'll gain the little bit of strength he's lacking to be a decent space eater, even if he'd most likely never be a true 0 tech player.

10. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    nothing about that godchaux tape says 2 gap...they will blow that dude out the hole til the cows come home on double teams

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think Taylor makes the team before Godchaux does

12. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    both those 2 dts are one gap penetrators just like all the dts we have on the roster
    suh could do some 2 gap but he's an ideal 3 tech

13. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    in the steelers playoff game they blew us off the ball on repeat with double teams/combination blocks...I wouldn't expect that much to change considering Phillips isn't a 2 gap but a 1 shade and suh teams just work away from with where the ball will go primarily and still gets doubled...they'll attack branch, harris, and any dt we have on the roster at the poa and they should...we don't have it

best thing about nick Williams is his grille...gold plated

between the dt situation the nickel corner carry coverage play and the safety depth we pretty much did nothing...oh well

hitman8 likes this.
  14. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Suh gets wiped on X2 teams as well, and I didn't say Godchaux was good at it, lol, just that he was asked to do it at times, he doesn't have to beat X2s, he just has to draw them at times.

15. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yeah well if they wanted someone to draw double teams and eat up blockers there were better DTs available at that point lile like Stevie Tuikolovatu or Elijah Qualls, and if what they wanted was a penetrating DT there were also better options than Godchaux available at that point like Caleb Brantley, Jarron Jones, or D.J. Jones.

I just feel Godchaux does nothing particularly well and has little upside compared to the other guys I just mentioned.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe we swapped thirds so we didn't give up our third...a fourth and a sixth yes.

17. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    No, we did gave up a 3rd, a 4th and a 6th this year for trading back up into the third round last year to select caroo.

That's why we had no regular third round pick this year, the third round pick we had was a compensetory pick for loosing Vernon in free agency. We also didn't have a fourth or a sixth round pick this year, all thanks to the trade up last year to draft Caroo.

I think that was one of the most idiotic moves this FO has made since they have been in place.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    djphinfan likes this.