1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Expansion

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Oct 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They've talked about it, as well as moving teams, probably only the Jaguars though. Most likely candidates that have been talked about are Los Angeles, San Antonio, London, Toronto, and Mexico City. And I think that's it. Some other possibles, but unlikely would be Orlando and Salt Lake City.

How many teams would they add, and how would they do the divisions? Could we see the Colts return to the AFC East? Indy doesn't fit in the south anyway, San Antonio would be a good switch. A team from London would work better in the NFC East, since the rivalries are there with the Colts in the AFC-if they were to change up divisions.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think London is a bad idea. Their home field advantage would be too much, if they ever were able to find a fan base. Also it isn't fair for them to pretty much fly out of country for games, changing sleep schedules, so on. I could see that being a huge mistake.

Toronto is the way to go if we are ever going out of country IMO.

dolphan197, gunn34, Firesole and 2 others like this.
  3. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Agreed about a team in London,it really is unfair to both sides.When they are home the visiting team is at a huge disadvantage and when they are away they would be in the opposite situation,both because of time differences and travel. In regards to expansions elsewhere they would have to balance the divisions again but could see a team in Los Angeles and San Antonio the most.

4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Sorry to my friends overseas, but leave the NFL in the damn US of fricking A:up:

As far as LA, my money is that Buffalo moves there. Yes, that puts 4 teams in Cali, but I really believe Buffalo is moving to LA.

NaboCane likes this.
  5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    If anything Buffalo will move to Toronto I think the Chargers will move to LA.

6. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Did you know that the Chargers first season was in LA not SD?:up:

BuckeyeKing and cnc66 like this.
  7. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    San Antonio has issues with selling out Spurs games I believe, I dont know if they can support another franchise - especially being sandwiched between the Dallas/Houston markets.

London is just a terrible idea, and I dont go for Mexico City either, to much civil unrest in Mexico atm - I dont see highly paid NFL players wanting to live there.
    Toronto is a possibility for the Bills though.

Will be interesting to see the Jags over the next few years for sure - they just arent getting it done in Jacksonville. Perhaps drafting Tim Tebow can sell them out, but if not there will be little choice but to move somewhere.

8. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    they should really give up the LA idea, it hasnt worked in the past and it never will.

If anything Buffalo will move up to Toronto.

9. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I might actually start liking the Jaguars if they moved to Orlando, as long as they dont call themselves Tuskers. I'd certainly be able to go to more NFL games.

10. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I have no problem with Toronto. I think London and Mexico City would be a nightmare. They're simply to difficult too add to the league for various reasons. Mostly travel logistics though. The NFL doesn't have to be a world-wide sport, participation wise.

I'd like to see 36 teams, and back to the 6 divisions with 6 teams per division. And only 2 pre-season games. Then we'd truly weed out the weak , and the play-offs would be competitive as hell.. There are a few markets that could sustain teams such as LA or Orlando.

then again, 10 division games would be too much. i dunno.

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Did not know that :up:

12. morpheus

morpheus New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    they throw london out about the same time every year now. even mexico city is a stretch.

13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

1) I'd have to question some of the special political exemptions the NFL gets if they became an international business, seeing as how much of the NFL's 'most favored' status in Washington comes from the idea that is a piece of Americana... thus no anti-trust problems.

2) The Bills have more fans in Toronto than California, plus the upstate Buffalonians could still make the drive. (THis runs counter to my point #1 though)

3) I live in Los Angeles and I do NOT want the Bills to move out here. NONONONONO!!!

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Ugh.

I dislike the Bolts too.

I could live with the Rams coming home to L.A. though.

15. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    PLEASE move them to LA. I hate watching them over the Phins here in Orlando when they both play at the same time.

Buffalo already has had a home game in Toronto the past two years. Lets make it happen already.

16. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I thought the Spurs sold well, they're pretty popular. They have a wnba team and if that could succeed in SA, an nfl team should be able to. More so than in Jacksonville at least. They sold well when the Saints played there in 2005. I think it would work since football is more popular anyway, they'd maybe need to add some seats to the Alamodome. I think it holds 70,000 though which is already more then JVille can even sell.

Isn't Los Angeles bankrupt? How can they spend millions on a football stadium?? San Antonio already has one.

17. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Whatever happens and whoever moves, one thing is certain, and that is getting a team in LA.

I would think that the Buffalo franchise would be a prime candidate, with new ownership coming soon (just how long CAN Ralph Wilson last?!) and given the incentives that LA and the NFL will dangle.

Despite some fan support, I don't know about Toronto; lots of opposition there from protectionist elements.

San Antonio would have to be considered a good candidate.

What about Portland, OR?