1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Network Reporting from Phins Camp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-league/09000d5d819b2c6d/Dolphins-2010-outlook

1. Brandon Marshall looks great, very happy.
    2. Chad Henne gets the ball out. They have a buzzer that goes off in camp, Henne got the ball out before the buzzer every single time (Pat Kirwan made this exact observation last year in camp).
    3. Because of the threat of Brandon Marshall, Chad Henne will see a lot more of the same defensive looks rather than defenses attacking with variety, this should help his decision making.
    4. Expects Henne to flip around that TD/INT ratio from 12 TDs and 14 INTs to 20 TDs and 10 INTs.
    5. Sees two 1,000 yard rushers in Ronnie and Ricky.
    6. Doesn't think the two OLBs will combine for 20 sacks (I knew he'd say that)...
    7. ...But thinks the DL with Odrick, Starks and Langford will make up for it by perhaps combining for 15 sacks. Seems to like Odrick.
    8. Misi and Odrick are the rookies to watch, they'll be leaning heavily on them, he predicts they're up to the task. Misi will have to make sure he can defend the run to his side, the Jets will run his direction.
    9. Still seems concerned over whether the safeties will get the job done.
    10. Predicts 2nd in the AFC East behind the Patriots, wildcard playoff berth.

ssmiami, DolfanJake, mbmonk and 12 others like this.
  2. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I think its mostly a fair assessment really.

3. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

One thing to keep in mind about the buzzer and Chad Henne, Miami is the only camp that is doing this throughout camp. At least according to the guys on Sirius NFL Radio. While this helps Henne learn to get the ball out quicker, the bigger picture, I think is with the line. If they know where Henne is and how much time they have until the ball is released, it should help them know how to block certain players.

For example, knowing how fast Henne gets into a five step drop, where he lands on the fifth step and how much time from the time he plants to when he throws is key for the line.

I am really surprised that other teams aren't utilizing the buzzer drill more often. I expect to see less sacks for Henne, especially with our bookends at the tackle position.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. DOLPHANITY

DOLPHANITY Wooo Dolphins

Oct 21, 2009
    JERSEY
    Thats the first report on our team that sounds actually correct. I can also live with second especially since its not the jets in 1st haha.

DolfanJake likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would have thought so but Sparano was specifically asked if the buzzer benefits any other positions and he pretty soundly rejected the notion, saying no just the QB position.

Bpk likes this.
  6. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I don't understand #3,CK. :confused2:

Explain,bro.

7. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think what #3 means is that the presence of Brandon Marshall will dictate defensive coverages more than than when Miami did not have Marshall.

His ability and threat will make teams respect Miami's offence more and not allow them to be as creative or inventive as they were last year.

Other teams will HAVE to account for Brandon Marshall , where last year Miami had no receiving threat that mandated that .

Plus for Miami's offense , negative for opponents defence.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's going to be seen coverage rolled to Marshall's way often and it'll be tougher to send multiple guys to blitz, for example, when there's more weapons out on the field so he'll see consistency from the opposition.

That's how I read it at least. I could be wrong.

EDIT: I think dolfan22 summed it up well.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Love Pat Kirwan. He makes a lot of sense.

His prediction of Henne having 20 TDs and 10 INTs sounds about right. If Henne can post those numbers, we'll make some noise. In 2011, maybe he bumps that to 25 TDs and 8 INTs... and we have one of the best QBs in the NFL in the post-Peyton/Brady era.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    while i agree it may help a little,the o-line needs to block till the whistle blows ..not till the buzzer which won't be in real game situations whether it's 3 seconds or 10 seconds.however long it takes for the play to develop is how long they should block..not 3 seconds and quit cause "henne should only need till the buzzer for the ball to be gone".sometimes a play doesn't always work perfectly in a real situation.the opposing d-line will not stop just because the ball "should"be out.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Samphin

I will defer to Sparano. But for what it is worth, Jake Long seemed to see the benefit of it. He said as such in an interview today with Tim Ryan, Pat Kirwan and Bill Cowher.

As a sidenote to this, Cowher brought up an interesting notion on what we might see from our passing game this season.

Given the trend of the spread offenses, running attacks that generate out of passing formations is something that we can probably see more and more of, league wide. Cowher painted the picture of lining Ronni and Ricky up in the backfield, sending Ronnie in motion to split out wide, where Marshall, Bess and possibly Hartline might already be.

Out of this formation, we still can hand it off to Ricky, or exploit any potential mismatch that may occur on the outside. The thought of that package together on the field made me drool a lil bit.

Also, Henne should be able to have easier reads now when we have the two back offense in. When he comes to the line and sees right away that the safety is creeping up to play the run, he can audible out to a pass play to exploit one on one coverage with B-Marsh, or vice versa, depending on the safety and what he does.

Point being, that elementary read should make for some easy playcalls, especially early before the safeties start disguising their intentions better. But that is when our own adjustments kick in as well.

I can tell you that Cowher seems to love our team this year. Even if he is sort of a Paula Abdul when critiquing football teams (he rarely slams any team, player or coach).

12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I've been talking about this being one of the benefits of getting a true #1 WR for months. Basically, if you know the defense is going to double a certain player (Marshall) there are limited defensive options left with the rest of the defense. That means that once Henne sees two guys over on Marshall it's much easier to figure out what defense he's facing. That in turn makes it easier to anticipate which player will most likely be open and make better decisions.

Bpk likes this.
  13. Samphin

I think we all agree with this. The point is though that the more familiar they are with the "normal" timing of Henne, the better off they are going to be. If Long is up against a speed rusher and knows that Henne is going into a five or seven step drop, he may be less inclined to try and run him around the backside for fear of leading the defender right into where Henne is planting. Stuff like that.

Henne getting used to when and where to throw the ball benefits everyone for obvious reasons, and no one is suggested the the linemen just stop and watch the rest of the play develop after their internal clock goes off.

m ino likes this.
  14. Finsanity

Finsanity New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    City of Angels
    I agree with what he said. I expect us to be a wild card team.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Couple things:

1. Didn't know they used a buzzer in camp. Sounds like a really good idea.
    2. I REALLY like the in-studio talent for NFLN.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

With Marshall, I highly doubt anyone risks playing Cover One against us... which brings a safety down closer to the LOS and is strong against the run.

Assuming our interior line gets sorted out to where we can handle one-on-one run blocks without needing too much double-teaming, Ronnie and Ricky should have a lot cleaner running lanes inside this season.

Step One: Marshall demands a safety to his side.. so it's at least a two-deep safety defense.
    Step Two: Each O-lineman plus FB Lou Polite takes a DL or LB in blocking.

Gotta hope Jake Grove and the guards are ready to rock one-on-one. If so, we have a numerical even-steven situation inside on runs. Almost as favorable as the Wildcat, but less predictable.

Also, expect playaction to be VERY effective this year.

17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The buzzer's been around since 2008; I'm not sure why people are treating it like something new. The QBs had a lot of trouble with the buzzer at first. Glad to hear that Henne's adjusted to it.

Killerphins likes this.
  18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    First I've heard of it.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    After that 2007 season that horn was needed. It seemed to scare everyone out there from memory in 2008 camp. They used it to make the QB beat the clock and get the ball out of their hand initially and for drill changes. Made the players take notice to have a sense of urgency.

20. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Duh! Watch the video for that info! :shifty: