1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Owners Meeting: Financial revolution possible soon for model league

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Mar 29, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08089/868971-66.stm

"Despite its success, the NFL and its teams are more than $9 billion in debt, according to a story in SportsBusinessJournal.com March 17. The magazine reported that 25 percent of that debt is tied to stadiums being built in New York and Dallas, each pegged at more than $1 billion to construct."

brandon27 likes this.
  2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    thats pretty scary considering the power and popularity of the NFL. p[ersonally i wish they would do something about these rookie contracts out of the draft. nevermind this 30 million dollars guaranteed contract crap for a guy who hasnt proven a thing in the league. I like what the nhl has done. they adopted the salary cap, they have a cap on rookie contracts. so these guys enter the league, have to prove themselves for several years, then they can cash in, or the teams can allow them to move on and play elsewhere, or trade them and get more value, etc, etc. i think its rather stupid that the #1 pick has become a burden in the nfl...

alen1 likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. Why give a guy 60 million when he has yet to even step in the team lockerroom? Lol. They need to have a rookie cap. I believe NBA has one also doesn't it? I know my boy Darko wasn't making too much and he was a high draft pick so I am assuming they do.

brandon27 likes this.
  4. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    im not sure about the nba. i dont pay much attention to basketball. but the nhl has it being done right as far as im concerned. mlb is so wrong is ridiculous, so i won't go there. but if the NFL doesnt figure otu something, and theres no CBA, and it ends up something like the nhl... i just wonder whats going to happen to the league... fan support etc. etc.

i just... i cant think of one good reason why any athlete, who has yet to prove himself at the professional level deserves a contract like #1 draft picks get... its insanity.

alen1 likes this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Exactly. Some of these guys are making more than Brady, Marvin Harrison, Holt just to name a few.

I think some of the players who are taken in the middle rounds are overpayed. They really need to buckle up this rookie cap like you said and figure out something because if it goes at this pace, the rookie in 2011 will get a 100$ million deal.

6. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    and teams will continue to pass it on to the fans, and ticket prices will continue to rise. :no:

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Which is why I dont buy tickets even if I am located in C. FL. lol.

8. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    believe it or not... i heard on detroit radio a few weeks back, the lions... increased ticket prices by an average of 11% (im pretty sure that was the number anyways) how sad is that??? even sadder... they'll still probably sell out every game..

alen1 likes this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Out of all the teams, the Lions? Lol.

Yeah proffesional teams ticket prices are gonna start to go up like gas prices, or at least it seems that way.

10. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    pretty sad isnt it? but like i said... theyll still sell out ford field for every game.. and every game the fans will show up... buy over priced food, buy over priced beers, and scream, and yell and curse the players, curse the coaches, and scream.. FIRE MILLEN!!! and continue to watch a loosing football team... :no:

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Honestly, I think that whole organization and fan base are a mess. I am not finger pointing to all fans of Detroit Lions but they haven't exactly been the most loyal people. If I was the head of Detroit Lions, I would clean up that whole organization and if I could, the fan base lol. They need a fresh start, kind of like the one Cleveland Browns got when they went out of the league in 1992 I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, and came back in '99.

I know Detroit is a big town and everything but they need serious help.

12. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    i think the big thing is the city, and the state are in an economic mess. they've seen the wings return to glory... the pistons return to glory, and now the tigers returning to form as well... and yet the lions still sit... as one of the worst teams in the league. I dont know how they keep selling out... whether their fans are that dedicated, and if so, good for them. or whether its still the fact that Ford field is still relatively new, im not sure. But I was over there for the Cheifs/Lions game the week before christmas.. and ive never, ever heard so many "fans" screaming and swearing at hometown players/coaches. it almost got to the point where i was uncomfortable being there. but then i had another beer and it was okay hah :up:

alen1 likes this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Hahaha. Yeah that city is great in other sports it seems. I think they fell apart when Barry suddenly retired on them. It seemed to go all downhill from there. The fanbase, the organization, the whole team. They went through busts in Joey Harrington, Rogers, Williams, Jones I guess you could say and more. I have been watching football since '01 so I can't talk about anything earlier than that but I did see videos of Barry on that team and the crowd seemed so into the team, having high hopes and so on. Nowadays, one out of every five are screaming "Fire Millen!" or have a bag over their head.

Like you said, I dont understand how they keep selling out their games considering them being poor as a whole but I guess there is some loyalty toward their team.

14. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    well theyre fans. the same reason we still support our fins after a 1 and 15 season.. its just.. what we do.

but yeah, barry leaving was the downfall of that organization for sure. and they just havent recovered because they dont have the right people in place. at the kc/detroit game i mentioned they honored barry sanders at halftime for his 2000 yard season.. and that place was louder watching the highlight film of barry on the big screens, and for him coming on the field at halftime than they were when the lions scored.

i still wouldnt include harrington in the blame for the downfall... sure he stunk there, but as i believe you and i have discussed before in previous posts... harrington was ruined by the poor coaching decisions of that team... shortly followed by the fans turning against him... but sure as a professional athlete you need to be able to tune that out and focus on the task at hand... but... thats alot to overcome for a young guy who had the fate of the entire franchise dropped on his shoulders before he was ready

alen1 likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good post.

I guess your right about Harrington. I still believe that if you are selected as a cornerstone of a franchise, you should be able to take blame because you are the future and you play in the most blamed position of all time.

But then again, he didn't have any support on that team with players and coaches giving up on him.

I think theres a lot of mixed opinions on Joey and his career. He has had some good games where he has made great/difficult throws and you see why they chose him where they did and then you see some horrific games and you think "wtf".

brandon27 likes this.
  16. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    that was the one thing I couldnt figure out with joey. some weeks he was incredible, others he was ryan leaf. The only thing i can think of is confidence. All of that went out the window right away in detroit. they had nobody then. he was destined to fail just like beck was for us last year. luckily for us(and for beck) he only had to endure it for a few games... joey on the other hand had it for several years. Ive always said it, and i still partially believe it. with some coaching, and some consistency(which he's never had) he could still be a decent QB. time however... is running out on that one

alen1 likes this.
  17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Again, I agree. I think he can be a pretty good or at least decent starter in this league but it seems like wherever he goes, he has a messed up coaching staff. In Detroit , he had a screwed up organization. He then left for here and had a wierd coach in Satan. He leaves us to finally get a starting job in ATL, he starts doing good, getting some consistency. Petrino goes out and brings in Byron Cement Feet Leftwich and starts him his first game. Leftwich goes down AGAIN, they throw in Harrington and all hell starts over again. Petrino then quits and Joey is trying to figure out what he did wrong to get all these crappy coaches/organizations.

18. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

20. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA

21. alen1