1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL Rule Changes Help Defense/Dolphins Response To It

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by alen1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'll summarize the rules as they are in paragraphs so you don't have to read the whole article.

Rules Changed:

1) Elimination of force out rule - A receiver must have both feet inbounds. However, if a defender grabs or wraps his hands around the WR while in air and forces him out, it is considered a catch.

2) Five yard facemask penalty - The 5 yard penalty for accidently grabbing the facemask has been taken off the list. The defender will now face fifteen yard penalties for the twisting of the facemask.

3) On- Field Communication - Defensive players will be able to communicate with their coaches on the sidelines via earpiece. Only two defenders can have the earpiece and only one can be on the field at a time. The earpiece will shut off when there is 15 seconds remaining on the play clock. There will be a green dot on the helmet (like the offensive side of the ball) to designate the player with the earpiece.

4) Coin toss - The team that wins the coin toss has an option of deferring its decision until the second half.

Dolphins Players Response To Rules

Derek Hagan's response to the taking away of the force-out rule:

Also,

What Dolphins coaches have done to to get used to the taking away of the force-out rule:

Porter's Response To Communication Rule

Sparano On Who Will Have Earpieces:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/31/a7c_dolphins_sider_0801.html

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think the elimination of the force-out rule is stupid. why would you get rid of that?

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I was wondering the same as I read the article.

4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm sure they're trying to eliminate subjectivity.

alen1 likes this.
  5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

6. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Cause its controversial. They should just be like college all you need is 1 foot.