1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFLN Last night: "Best CB tandem?"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LandShark13, May 22, 2010.

1. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I was just watching the NFLN and they asked Both Rod Woodson and Muhsin Muhammad who they thought the Best CB tandem in the NFL was. I fully expected both of them or at the very least one of them to crown the Jets with that honor. Didn't happen though. Woodson Picked the Bangles and Muhsin picked our young guy's. Which I find very interesting because last year he played against both us and the Jets.

It's really great to see these kids get some props!

Link: Here

Edit: Link fixed.

2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Wow! that's Friggin' sweet. Can't wait to see how they develop in year 2...

3. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I couldn't seem to find it.

"This channel no longer available."

4. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    MonstBlitz likes this.
  5. Cion-Dolfan

Cion-Dolfan New Member

May 19, 2010
    Summerville SC
    I pitty the fool who talks bad about our CB tandem :)

dolfan7171 likes this.
  6. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    That is a lot of optimism for our tandem that only has had a few months playing together... Can they be good ror the best??? Sure but it might take more time...

What is funny is that any Jet fan might have a difference of opinion...

Can Revis duplicate last year's performance or will he have a Cromarie like year???

7. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    Revis will play like Revis. However, Cromartie will have a Cromartie year.

Phinatic425 likes this.
  8. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Of course he picked ours, they played arguably theyre best game together as a pair last year against the panthers.

9. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Yeah Revis will be fine. It's Cromartie that is the question mark.

And Mushin talked about having to go up against Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain back in the day[I can't believe 1998-2003ish is back in the day already!] and can see the Dolphins with a similar tandem in Smith and Davis.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Deion Sanders also thinks we rank among the top 5 corner tandems in the league...Primetime!

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    I'm surprised....Usually someone unknowing (I'm assuming they didn't watch much Miami football.) would look at Miami's stats from last year and say wow that secondary sux.

12. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    LOL, I beg to differ. The Jets already have Revis...I can't see how anyone can argue that he isn't the best corner in the league right now. Cromartie has his problems both on and off the field, but he's good too. I'd say the Jets have a better CB tandem than the Dolphins, and the Jets went CB in the first round this year, too, even though they only had four picks.

Anyway, it takes a whole secondary to be good against the pass: the Jets were #1 last year, and the Bills were rated #2. Dolphins? 24th.

I would argue that the Bills have the best secondary in the league. They were #2 against the pass (like I said) even without McKelvin, who was injured almost the entire year, and our pass rush was terrible. We also have Jarius Byrd, and our depth is just sick. One of the few things that Dick Jauron, being a former DB himself, left behind him was the secondary...believe me, he's where he belongs now: a defensive backs coach for the Eagles.

The Jets might have been #1, but that's just in yards allowed, and their overall defense was MUCH better than the Bills'. The Bills also had 11 more INTs than the Jets last year.

You guys need Marshall against such secondaries as these. Better hope Henne takes a step forward as well.

Don't let what one guy on the NFL Network says go to your head.

13. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Better hope? Chad Henne was better than basically anyone else was against the Jets for the most part.

The hilarious thing is the Dolphins beat the Jets that first game with the majority of their snaps in a jumbo set with two TEs and a FB.

Ronnie Bass and Disnardo like this.
  14. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    The question posed was who do they think has the best CB tandem not best secondary. Muhsin is not the only analyst/player who has given Vontea and Smith outstanding grades. Notice also he didn't get any argument whats so ever from Woodson. In fact Rod nodded in complete agreement.

What I found most reassuring is Muhsin played both the Fins and the Jets in back to back games which tells me he spent at least a week studying both teams.

As for secondary's you don't have to tell us we have our problems last year. Most of it however was due to having a SS try and play the FS position and failing measurably in his attempt.

Our SS position is in good hands as Bell plays the position well. He made his PB this year albeit as an alternate but he is no slouch.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  15. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I think it's a stretch to say we have the best... Vontae and Sean Smith improved throughout the year as rookies and will only get better. I'm very excited about our situation at cornerback.

I'm hoping Reshad Jones works out as a FS. Between him, Bell, and Vontae, the Dolphins should have the most physical secondary in the league. :up:

16. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well they didn't say the Dolphins had the best. They were saying how much they like Smith and Davis and that they could become one of the best CB groups. We all liked them too. Teams don't start two rookie CBs, but Miami had to last season, and hopefully that pays off this season. Should definitely be better, especially Davis.

dolfan7171 and feldspar like this.
  17. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    So you think that Henne is unquestionably the future of the Dolphins franchise?

18. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I saw the piece on NFL Network. Rod nodded in understanding, not agreement, as he picked a different team. Anyway, it's just an opinion. Everybody has one...and I don't think that it's a stretch to expand the discussion to who has the best secondary.

19. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    I have been following the fins for 37 years. I have seen Qbs come and go. I remember when Dan took his first snaps and right away you could see how special he was going to be. No young QB on the fins has made me turn my head since. Well until last year in watching Henne play. I know the question wasn't addressed to me but I'm going to answer it anyway.

The kid has all the tools, physical, mental, accuracy its all there. Whats really going to push him over the top is this kids work ethic is exactly what you would look for in a franchise QB.

We both know that the true determining factor in whether or not he will become a franchise QB can only be truly measured in time and anything anyone says now one way or the other is only speculation. However if I had to bet one way or the other I would bet the farm on this kid.

felly smarts and Puka-head like this.
  20. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Fare enough. I just wanted to make sure we were comparing apples to apples.

feldspar likes this.
  21. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Good....

then our Strong Safety happens to be a pro bowler.

still want to expand the discussion?

22. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    We just have to get that FS position squared away.

23. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Who have you had since Marino? Don't bother answering, because it's not worth it. I already know. Buffalo has had the same problem after Jim Kelly retired.

I've been following the Bills for over 30 years. Bledsoe and Flutie are the closest we came after Kelly. Then again, before that, we went with Joe Ferguson for like 12 years; that was terrible. He was NOT a franchise QB, yet he played longer than any QB the Bills ever had, I think.

If I were you, I'd be cautiously optimistic about Henne. Don't anoint him yet. In the 2008 season after 6 games, you had people talking MVP about Trent Edwards...no lie. Among others, Chris Berman interviewed him on ESPN talking to him about this at the time. Guys like Trent Dilfer, who I like, were talking about how the Bills were going to ride Trent Edwards into a playoff bye-week. He was showing up in clutch time every week. People don't think too highly of him now.

There isn't a large enough sample of Henne to give him too much credit yet. Marino was just crazy good right off the bat. 20 TDs to 6 INTs his rookie year. 48 touchdowns and over 5,000 yards his second season. Henne ain't no Marino. Don't think he will be.

This will be a HUGE season for him. I'm not saying that he's bound to fail; I'm saying that it's up in the air at this point.

24. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Absolutely.

FS Jarius Byrd tied for most INTs in the league despite nagging injuries and limited playing time. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Leodis McKelvin was the 11th overall pick who missed most of the year in 2009, and he's played well...yet the Bills' secondary still dominated, and this with a poor pass rush, which should improve quite a bit this year.

Donte Whitner, who is only 24, is our SS, picked 8th overall. He's played every position in the secondary. Finally, he'll be able to settle down at the SS position.

The Bills have a much better secondary with more solid depth than the Dolphins. Do you disagree?

Our backups would be starting on other teams. Our depth is unquestionable. We develop guys like Jabari Greer and Nate Clements and can afford to let them go, because we have been so obsessed about the secondary. We've been TOO obsessed about the secondary, really...at the expense of other areas.

25. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    No, but I'm a whole lot more confident he is than Mark Sanchez is the answer for the Jets.

26. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    If you throw every guy in both secondary's into a pool and draft......

You would end up with three dolphin starters.

Davis/Smith/Bell/Byrd

so yeah...I disagree.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    This is actually a pretty good post. As a Dolphin fan, I saw a lot of things in Henne he will need to improve to be a "very good" QB, let alone a great one.

feldspar likes this.
  28. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    No, YOU would end up with three Dolphin starters. I'd end up with three Bills starters. Smith over McKelvin? We didn't even have arguably our best CB, yet the Bills were rated #2, and the Dolphins rated #24 in passing defense. I've said this before, but I guess I had to say it again. Also, as I've said before, the Bills had a terrible pass rush, yet the secondary picked up that slack. That's a huge thing to consider.

The Bills beat the Dolphins in every single important statistical category last year in the defensive passing game, yet the Dolphins have the better secondary...just because we have Byrd? Look at the statistics, they don't lie. If they do, they lie in YOUR favor, because you had the better pass rush. We basically have the same schedule except for two games.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Look over these stats, and tell me how they lie.

Your two rookie corners have potential, but you are giving them too much credit right now.

Besides that, we are stacked in our depth.

29. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Leodis McKelvin, Drayton Florence, Terrance McGee, & Ashton Youboty? None of those guys are any better than the 4th corner for the Dolphins. McKelvin could return kicks for us though. Whitner has been solid, never spectacular, which is dissapointing considering he was the 8th overall pick. I'd say he and Yeremiah are a wash. Jairus Byrd is better than anything on our roster @ FS, but thats hardly enough to say that Buffalo has a better secondary.

What you forgot to mention in your analysis is scheme. Miami is a man/quarters team, Buffalo is a Cover 2 team. I suppose we could sit in a shell coverage and let the entire league run all over our defense (Buffalo ranked 30th/156 yds rushing allowed) and physically dominate us and lose a bunch of games. But Miami's philosophy is a little different, a more aggressive/risky approach. Our safeties are asked to get involved in the run game alot, and they are forced to defend the deep middle because our ILBs are awful in coverage. Our corners are asked to pick up the slack, and they play on an island an awful lot.

Since youre a Buffalo guy Im sure you remember all the fade routes Buffalo completed against us last year, in both games. There was no safety help on ANY of them, they were busy helping the LBs, or looking for their family in the stands, or something. In fact, Vontae and Sean (rookies) were being left out to dry all season long. That wouldnt happen in Buffalo's scheme. Posluzny can handle the middle of the field just fine, and there's safety help for both corners the vast majority of the time, which allows them to take alot of chances, and ya know, get more INTs.

So I can agree that Buffalo played the Cover 2 scheme well, and Miami struggled to play their quarters/man game, but to say that Buffalo has a better secondary, nah, cant go there with you. Top to bottom, our players are better, especially at corner. Youve got the edge @ FS, but thats about it.

30. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    LOL. Do watch the Bills' games except when they play Miami? I happen to live in Fort Myers, FL, and they show the Dolphins every week. In the Bills' bar, they are on within viewing distance. I watch the Dolphins games at home if they are on at different times. Do you have any frame of reference besides when we play each other?

If you want to talk about scheme, the Bills have been the victims of playing cover 2 IMO, especially considering their poor pass rush. All QBs have to do is find the soft spot in the zone, because it'll be there if they have enough time to find it. We'd play ten yards off the ball on 3rd and short. The Bills will be playing more man-to-man this year, which should make them look better. Add the existence of a pass-rush, that would shut this conversation right down.

Your analysis of our depth is WAY off-base. Guys like McGee, Florence, Reggie Corner (who you didn't mention), wouldn't make your 4th corner for the Dolphins? Well, these guys basically WERE are corners last year, and outperformed the Dolphins' guys by a lot. Youboty is underrated because he's hurt a lot, which undercuts his value anyway, I know. We have guys like Bryan Scott and George Wilson...if anybody got hurt at any position, we'd hardly miss a step.

31. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Those guys graded out pretty poorly dude. 75th 79th and 86th respectively.

Link: Here

32. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    What exactly IS this crap?

33. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It ain't exactly rocket science look at it and think some, maybe click on the handy descriptions.

TotoreMexico and LandShark13 like this.
  34. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Pro Football Focus. They grade out every position in the NFL. Most if not all the top NFL analysts have used them at one time or another. They analyze every player on every play and grade them out. They use different formulas for each position. I for one am not sure exactly what formulas are used and as with any stat site they need to be taken with a grain of salt. For the most part they are pretty damned good. Not infallible by any means though.

PS. That's the top stat site available to the public.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  35. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Oh bro you killed me with that one!!!

Or click on the home link on the top of the page and read the description :lol:

36. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Yeah, but it means nothing, or extremely little. You tell me what it means to you. A player is listed higher on PFF, so that means they are better than one slated lower. Pardon me for saying so, but that's just stupid. I really don't think that Nmamdi Asomugha is the 17th best Corner in the league.

You are right about one thing. It ain't rocket science. Or is it? How do they arrive at these numbers?

37. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    You are fired as a GM.

I would venture to guess that not one GM in the NFL including yours would draft Three Bills to start in a secondary if we pooled all the talent.

You see...when you give up over 860 yards a game rushing..teams tend to ignore passing on you. yeah..stats do lie.

Well..at least Byrd would start for us. 1 out of 4 ain't bad.

GMJohnson likes this.
  38. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Oh yeah, very sharp remark.

Our guys never do anything good; in fact, there are twice as many better players than our best guy, yet we are near the very top of every single important statistical category of what we are talking about. In other words, our ****ty guys create relatively elite results. Makes a lot of sense. Whoever created this mysterious system has WAY too much time on their hands.

39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Let me guess....part Two of your argument is that Jackson, Lynch and Spiller are better than Ricky, Ronnie, Cobbs.

40. feldspar

feldspar Member

Jun 28, 2009
    You are fired from this thread.

You see, the Bills were faced with more passes per game than the Dolphins were last year.

Sucking against the run means extended drives...and more passes.