1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice piece on Tanny from footballoutsiders.com, not sure if this was posted yet.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdallen1222, Nov 21, 2016.

1. iamtiv

iamtiv Active Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks, OP. Great article.
    Tannehill has guts and he can throw but his fatal flaw doesn't seem fixable, and that is pocket-awareness and an innate sense of when and how to avoid pressure. Tannehill so often gets sacked on plays where you can't understand why he didn't just run away from the defender, or just give a little hip-shake and make a defender miss. The best QBs can do this. Luck and Rogers do it numerous times every game.
    Ryan T did it once against San Diego and it was a total 'fist-pump' moment for Dolphin fans. That pumps up your team and deflates the opponent. We need more of that. There were 2 sacks against him vs the Rams where I was like "dude, how you you NOT avoid getting sacked there?!?"
    This has to improve somehow or, I'm sorry to say, he's not worth the 17 million dollar cap hit for a roster still in need of many upgrades.

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Good read! He is improving all the time now and it's good to see.
    Finally some coaching worth a damn for the guy.

3. mbsinmisc

mbsinmisc Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Great analysis. The fate of our beloved Dolphins rest on Tannehills shoulders. He should be approaching his peak over the length of this contract. I think he has "very good" in him. That is enough.

4. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    From the article:

Now take your eyes off the ball. Watch right tackle Ja'Wuan James. He gives up on the play. James makes his initial block by clamping down on the defensive end to sell the play fake, but then stops as soon as he has crossed the face of the defender. He just lets the defensive linemen run down Tannehill. When the above GIF freezes, you can see that the ball has just left Tannehill's hands and the defender is about to hit him. Tannehill gets planted into the ground and absorbs a heavy hit, but he never lets that impending hit impact his mechanics. He delivers the ball while understanding that he is going to be hit.

It's true -- James just stops blocking. I guess he thought the ball was coming out a lot sooner than it did? Anyway, that part of the play was not pretty at all.

I thought that Gase had some idea of what he thought about Tannehill before he took the job. But apparently not. He really studied Tannehill after he was appointed, and decided to go with him. So when the offense was doing badly early in the season, and he issued all those statements in support of the QB -- they weren't lip service or PR. He meant it.