1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nice post from Izzy Gould re: Tannehill and Egnew

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, May 5, 2012.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...ew-and-ryan-tannehill-in-the-triple-jump.html

dolfan7171, Boik14, Daben and 2 others like this.
  2. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Izzy Gould has been pretty good so far, is working hard. His pen portraits of some of the rookie free agents were particularly good. It's nice to see an old fashioned beat writer who spends his time digging up information rather than pretending to be a columnist.

Silverphin and MrClean like this.
  3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I really like this tactic of surrounding a QB with a comfort zone, and it's a 180 from the Parcellian method of never making a QB comfortable. The Colts are doing it with Andrew Luck/Coby Fleener and I suspect they'll have early success in part because of that.

I think describing Egnew as a comfort addition is a big stretch, though.

dolfan7171, Silverphin and FinNasty like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Why's that Des?

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Don't wanna speak for desides or anything, but I competed against tons of people in the same district in high school and I wouldn't do more than a "wave" if I saw them in the mall or something if that. To say they have comfortability or chemistry together is a huge reach like des said.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree but for all we know they could have forged a small bond. At the very least a competitive respect. It is a reach but it's not that far out there to say that having competed they respect eachothers ability and can use that as a foundation.

MrClean likes this.
  7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This.

They did something against each other X number of years ago. So what? If I tried to talk to someone who was in a class of mine in high school they'd treat me like a stranger, rightly so.

8. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Its a reach. But a familiar face, none the less

9. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    More than anything they both know that each of them is a competitor that they have common interests and they can trust that the other is going to do their part. This is a good foundation and once they start benefiting from each others strengths this will only get better.

I mean they were on opposing teams so I would expect that they have rival feelings. I don't think its personal and I think it will bond them.

10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah I understand that,and relative to the Luck/Fleener combination ,sure, it's not close, but I'am still diggin that their roomies and starting that chemistry early, Egnew is so athletic, that if he can pick Tannehills brain 24/7, it might give him a leg up on the offense, and we might see those flashes earlier than the norm.

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have so little respect for Parcells' style of QB development. I don't think Henne was ever going to be a franchise guy, but I still think they gave him almost no chance to succeed.

I do see Egnew as a safety blanket that will make Tannehill more comfortable due to his height and ability to high point the ball. I argued since we drafted Henne that the Dolphins should have made a seam TE a priority. A player that catches those easy passes in the closest area of the field makes a QB's life so much easier. But I agree that it is a stretch that Tannehill will be more comfortable due to the fact that he ran track against him.

dolfan7171 and Jed like this.
  12. Jed

Jed Ryan to Wallace!

Jan 3, 2008
    NY

I agree with everything you said, about Henne and the need for a seam busting tight end for success in the passing game. The Patriots' success last year with 2 of them will make everyone think that they need at least one.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I agree with you. It does not seem unreasonable for two premier athletes from two annually competitive high schools to forge a bond.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I think you're giving Parcells' process far too much credit when you describe it as "development". I don't even think Parcells intends to develop QBs, he intends to confine them.

Precisely. Thank you.

rafael likes this.
  15. DanTanna86

DanTanna86 New Member

May 6, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Tanny is lucky to have folowed Sherm and will transition much easier than most new QBs because he already knows all the terminology. I pray Miami can just provide a running game for him.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Were loaded at back and we have the making of a very nice young line.