1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nick Collins released

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nappy Roots, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    If healthy he would be a great addition. We need to at least bring him in asap for a visit. Huge playmaker.

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    He might not play again.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3194/nick-collins

Da 'Fins, CrunchTime and Nappy Roots like this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How could GB release him so late in FA? What a dick of a GM they have there. They'll never get an FAs to come there with that attitude. :shifty:

Trowa, evz, ChrisKo and 7 others like this.
  4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Exactly, because Yeremiah Bell also failed his physical and ironically, his agent is also advising him not to play anymore. Wait, sorry. It was actually the opposite of that. My bad.

bigbry likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't want other teams injured players, develope our own young ins.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Who has a better chance of turning around their condition: Collins with a neck injury or Bell with serious case of the "old as hells"?

7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Point is the Packers just now gave Collins a physical. Had he passed, he'd still be there. If Green Bay wanted to be *****, they'd wait until after the draft to release him. They're actually playing this the best way possible. I wasn't even really that upset Bell was let go (though it did leave a huge void) it was just par for the course for Ireland to treat a team captain like that.

8. Mudder

Mudder New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    The Pack won't have problems attracting FAs, they don't sign any anyway.

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If healthy, I'd definitely be interested in Nick Collins. Very unfortunate injury last year as he was one of the top free safeties in the league.

CrunchTime likes this.
  10. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The Packers are not big players in the FA market to begin with. They prefer to get their players through the draft. Collins obviously has an injury which leads the Packers to feel that he can no longer play. Therefore they let him go prior to the draft so they can try to fill his position with a player they may be able to select this weekend.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what the Packers did in releasing Collins. This is the way things are done in the NFL and if Collins is cleared to play next year by another team and he decides to continue his career, he is now free to sign with any team which might want to sign him.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  11. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    There is a GB connection on the staff so if he is a possibility we should have a good bead on him.Medical staffs have been wrong before ....see Dolphin medical staff examining Drew Brees and giving him a bad outlook and Mc Intosh ,OL traded from SD whose injury was overlooked by the staff.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  12. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Like he's been the only player released since Bell. There have been lots of players released since then. Stitches is just making fun of how stupid that argument was back when Bell was released.

13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Were those players specifically held onto until rival teams signed other players before being released? Were the players agents lied to by GM's? (not to mention a BS line about him being important the week before)

It wasn't a stupid argument. It was IRISH being IRISH.

14. dgb11112

dgb11112 Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2008
    Atlanta
    It is a CAREER INJURY GUYS! He is done, it is to bad bacause he was a heck of a good player while healthy.

15. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    That happens all the time. It's naive to think Ireland is the only one. It just gets hyped by the media like everything has since the whole Harbaugh fiasco.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I saw this coming from a mile away. He's way too injured to continue playing, IMO.

17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The media didn't assemble this team.

18. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

If this was even remotely true then I commend Ireland for having the balls to do it!!

^^^^ how Bell or his agent feel about it!

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, it's true. Not sure not giving a **** about how players and agents feel about things is the best way to go about being a GM, though. Although I guess it's worked for Ireland so far. Wait...sorry, I did it again. Reverse that.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Even without this situation, how many players have hinted around that Ireland had something to do with them not wanting to come to Miami?? I'm sure it takes a real prick for guys to go out of their way to call him out like that.

21. Ozzy

Why because no one will ever want to play for him again? lmao!!

It's a buisiness and if not for the patience of the Miami Dolphins, Bell's often injured butt would have never made a dime in the NFL.

You have no idea how it went about. Nor do I but I damn sure hope that's exactly what they would do!

22. Ozzy

I don't care if he is a prick. I care about how he does with the NFL Draft. If he continues at this pace, he'll be on the streets but I damn sure don't mind if he waited to release a player so he would not got to a rival team and I'm damn sure, if it is true, that Jeff Ireland was not the first one to ever do it.......

23. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Names, please??? Also, whether they are now gainfully employed in the NFL, and at what level. And, whether or not other teams were salivating to compete in bidding for those particular players. Just "how many" are 'how many'? Or is that a indeterminate number, like "Some" - as in somewhere between 3 and 48 Gazillion?

24. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Whoa, hold up...

Calm down gents, IDC about how he treated Bell...I do on the other hand recognize that he is a turnoff for FA and has been involved in some horrific drafts and some terrible decsion making.

Noone with a straight face can say Ireland has done a good job.

And yes, it matters a HUGE deal if FA dont like him...Free Agency is basically like recruiting!? If people dont like him they will take their talents elsewhere. Thats a problem.

25. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    C'mon dude. Bell would've played somewhere and made money. The guy went to a Pro Bowl, so I'm sure SOMEONE would've given him a look, if not Miami. Hell, he may have gotten to play sooner somewhere else, as I don't think he became a starter until 2007.

And, no. That's not how you do things. You don't lie to his agent. That's business, sure, BAD BUSINESS. And guess what? Bell is meeting with the Jets this week anyway, so Ireland's sneaky little plan may have been for naught. All it did was likely cost Bell some money since New York already paid quite a bit for LaRon Landry.

I'll repeat something I've said on this site several times, if you're a dick AND YOU PUT TOGETHER A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM, by all means, continue to be a dick. It's working for you, and I'll approve. Hell, I encourage dickishness (totally a word) in sports when it works in your favor. But to act like a dick for no other reason than to act like a dick AND you're a ****ty GM with a team record of 20-28 the last three years? GTFO.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  26. Ozzy

I'm calm as it gets and even stated that if Ireland keeps going he'll be on the streets.

As for FA's not wanting to come here, I highly doubt it! Money is key, not Ireland's personallity. BUT to be fair to the man, I've herd a lot of people say he was a very good guy. I think it lands somewhere in the middle though. I'm not going to take a former player like Channing Crowders word as gospel because he is a person with a very loud mouth.

27. Ozzy

Yes it is how many teams do things and have done so for years! I don't care if he makes another dime in the NFL once he is gone from here. If Ireland wanted to wait to release him because he did not want Bell giving a rival team any kind of information, I'm more than ok with it.

How many times have we seen the Dolphins do the right thing? Only to see it come back to haunt them?

Did you also stop to think that maybe Ireland was hoping that he might be able to resign Bell after a while? If he needs him....

28. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    exactly it's a good thing he didn't let him go to the jets man, if your so high on bell why would you want him going to a rival. I think everyone is just looking for another thing to ***** about when it comes to Ireland. You don't think GMs are going to plan their moves so maybe a player doesn't go to a rival? who cares. And you really think other players are going to think about Bells situation before they come here, it's all about money and I bet a majority of the players don't even know this went down, it's just us fans

29. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No, Bell wanted to stay. Ireland told Rosenhaus Bell was key to their plans. Then he releases him. There was never a contract offer to re-sign.

If you're so high on Bell, maybe don't cut him?

30. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Do you really think that Drew Rosenhaus doesn't lie to NFL teams?

And not cutting Bell right away cost the Jets money, which is the important thing here. They probably don't sign Landry if they knew Bell would be available.

Ozzy likes this.
  31. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    huh?

An how did a thread on Nick Collins turn into another Ireland thread?

32. Ozzy

Go ahead and believe what the players agent says. I don't mind but I did hear Drew say he and Ireland have talked since Bells release and he said that the two of them are fine and still in good standing...FACT

33. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ireland has been a joke.

Now back to Collins

34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Ask Stiches.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The thing is he never lied to Bells agent at all if you actually take time to reads the words used.

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2012/03/ireland_says_to_let_the_proces.html

He said he didn't plan to cut him. Then he did plan to cut him.

37. Ozzy

38. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Ozzy likes this.
  39. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're right, I hadn't considered that telling someone you're not going to do something and then doing it anyway wasn't lying.

"Hey, I'm not gonna fire you."

*Next Week*

"You're fired!"

"Hey, you said you weren't gonna fire me. You lied!

"Nope. I didn't lie."

40. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    *sniff sniff*

I smell a crap load of naivety.

Funny how folks weren't concerned when he did that with Gibril Wilson and then cut his ***. GM's do this ALL the time. To pick Ireland out for it..well there's 31 other GM's you better be complaining about to then. They all do it.