No Contract Extension for Tua Yet

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by resnor, Sep 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    OK. So do you expect 300+ yards and 3+ TDs?

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Every week? No. Nobody does that.

But it's seriously time to stop - his contract situation was entirely and completely down to health concerns. When healthy, he's an all-pro QB. He has nothing to prove from an ability or play standpoint, it's all down to health and specifically concussions.

3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Tell you what. I’ll say yes.

But if he doesn’t…the Dolphins win and you GLOAT that he didn’t…your colors will be fully exposed and I’ll invite you to the ignore button.

If Tua plays a crap game, I’ll call it like it is.

Csonka Marino likes this.
  4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah expecting 300+ yards and 3+ TDs against a Belichick defense is a strawman. VERY few QBs average that during a season, much less against a Belichick defense! Mahomes in 2018 performed at about that level, but that average would have been lower if he always played against Belichick-level defenses.

That kind of expectation would apply only to a few QB seasons like Peyton Manning in 2013 where he had 55 TDs and 5477 yards lol. It's a strawman question.

VManis, Springveldt and Csonka Marino like this.
  5. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    LOL. ALL I was trying to do was explain to you what I meant by “he won’t have this type of performance next week” YOU asked ME to explain that.

Like he had ridiculous performance. They didn't shutdown Tyreek. I would have tried to let someone else beat me personally, bump him more at the line. He didn't get sacked or hit. I can only remember one drop from Tyreek? Everything broke right. "Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again."

Folks need to stay more level, or don't and go insane. Whatever floats your boat.

resnor likes this.
  6. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Fourth-most week 1 yards in NFL history.

Broke a Chargers passing yards allowed record.

"Yeah but can he do it again?"

Stop feeding the troll, y'all.

Bumrush, Ronnie Bass and RGF like this.
  7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    It’s extremely difficult to shut down Hill. Not impossible, but difficult. The thing is though, 255 yards of Tua’s throws today were to receivers NOT named Hill.

So if Belichick were to come up with a way to shut Tyreek down, Belick would also have to contend with Waddle, Beerios, Wilson, Cracraft, Ezukanma and Smythe… not to mention Moestert, Achane, Ahmed and Wilson.

That’s the thing about having the level of talent that we have…there always a viable and potent plan b in our arsenal.

OwesOwn614 and texanphinatic like this.
  8. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    Well I don't mean shutdown entirely. Hill is generational WR, never going to do that but Hill was 215 yards out of 466. I would have put a bit more focus on him in the 2nd half. They didn't really adjust much. Maybe taking away their DC had a bigger impact than expected.

9. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    Haven't read much discussion about the OL today but they deserve their props. If we can eke out similar levels of play on a consistent basis, the sky is the limit. Nobody collected on a wager where they put money on Bosa, Mack & Co. combining for zero sacks. Not even Butch Barry.

Puka-head likes this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Someone who really deserves props but hasn't been mentioned much is McDaniel. Did you guys see how sloppy many teams were week 1? Not the Dolphins. The new Fangio defense takes awhile for players to get comfortable with — that's expected. But otherwise, this team was prepared, had the antidote to last year's shutdown of Tua (although it's a bit inexplicable why the Chargers tried to cover Hill and Waddle man-to-man so often), and never quit. Neither the offense nor the defense quit at the end. He's instilling a championship mentality.

OwesOwn614 and Csonka Marino like this.
  11. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

You will never buy in then because he will never meet your ever changing opinion on what is elite. Even if he plays all 17 games this season and leads the league in passer rating/ypa/whatever metric you choose it won't be good enough as you will point to his poor games (and he is going to have some this season, everyone does) and say he wasn't good enough in those games.

Bumrush likes this.
  12. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    It proved that the Chargers didn't "figure Tua out", correct?

13. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Weren't you one of the people claiming Tua was "figured out"?

14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Pretty sure all he's saying is that to be considered elite, he needs to do it consistently throughout the season. No one is saying he can't have a poor game.

If he plays consistently like he did yesterday, I don't think anyone will have any complaints about Tua.

StaleTacos likes this.
  15. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So in your world, there's been no changes to the offense or anything since last season? In your world, Tua couldn't have improved anything since last season? If he was figured out last season, then he would have to be figured out this season?

Such s ridiculous stance you've taken to try to portray others as stupid trolls.

StaleTacos likes this.
  16. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    The scheme was by multiple defenses, as I said in this thread McDaniel had all off-season to review tape and plan a counter. He's smart. They executed that counter extremely well in game 1, and/or the Chargers were just a complete mess defensively losing their DC to us. 0 sacks the whole game. The Dolphiins should send JC Jackson some flowers. That 3 point gift at the end of the half was the difference in the win, and then taking the ball out of the end zone after the pick. Either way Tua played lights out, and made some big off script throws which I loved seeing. Now he needs to keep doing it through the adversity of a season. No excuses.

resnor likes this.
  17. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Figured out is figured out. I didn't say it, you guys did. You could have said that the Chargers defense had a good game or the Dolphins offense had a bad game.... but no, that is not a big enough dis on Tua for you two. You guys claimed that TUA (not the offense, not the scheme, but TUA) was FIGURED OUT.

Now (as expected) you are F'n moonwalking backwards..... just a joke.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    Ronnie Bass likes this.
  18. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    God you hate to be wrong..... LOL.

19. Wilkimania

Wilkimania Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I don't think I disagree with either side of the argument really. Tua last year had some noticeable limitations, not least his inability to stay healthy. The thing I like most about Tua however is that he's always willing to learn. He's done that again this season, he's noticeably bigger than he was last year and he's continued working on his game.

The numbers were there last season for the majority of the season for Tua to be paid like a top 10 QB. The health of Tua last year made the team wary to do that. If Tua balls out the rest of this year like he did yesterday then he gets paid, if he gets injured for the season next week then he does not.

I think the team's worse case scenario is last year repeats and that we look amazing when Tua is healthy and that we struggle to do similar when he isn't. I think the difference is that Tua has done as much as he can to try and prevent that from happening.

resnor likes this.
  20. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    I wrote this a couple pages back in this thread:
    "Now it'll be on McDaniel to come up with a counter as the league has the playbook. He's had plenty of time for it. He's a good football mind, so I'm sure he's come up with something. I would imagine it will look different from last year's offense. Just read they had receivers practicing getting bumped at the line, so it's clearly something on their mind. Good sign."

....Don't blame us for your reading comprehension issues.

resnor likes this.
  21. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Had to change my avatar in honor of the back pedalers.....

22. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Well don't blame me for you claiming that TUA WAS FIGURED OUT. You don't get credit for the moon walk......

23. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    I saw some really good stuff from Tua. Like that step up in the pocket, and being accurate on the deep pass to Tyreek. That wasn't Tyreek being wide open, that was perfectly placed. Or the scramble out of danger and the pass to Berrios to the sideline. Tua struggles off-platform, if he can consistently make accurate passes off-platform, that's a different level. Now the question will be if he can do this consistently in the face of other defenses, because we also saw a few awkward passes from Tua off platform.

resnor likes this.
  24. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    That post was BEFORE yesterday's game. You OK?

resnor likes this.
  25. Wilkimania

Sep 11, 2016
    I don't disagree with any of that. Tua had a really good game yesterday, but I think he'd be the first to admit that it wasn't perfect and that he has things to work on and improve. The thing that gives me hope though, is that he seems up to working on those issues. I'm sure we could all name QBs who were more naturally gifted than Tua who ended up flaming out and amounting to little because they didn't want to keep working on and improving their game.

resnor and StaleTacos like this.
  26. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Tua is an elite QB and a top 5 talent.

Anyone that disagrees at this point is a big fat troll.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  27. Wilkimania

Sep 11, 2016
    Let's not start drifting into top 5 talk, those lists will cause arguments than the ones we already have.

28. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Funny you say that as Tua is now number two in the overall NFL MVP odds race...

I find it funny how a lot of people arguing against Tua defended Tanehill for 7 years. Comparing a quarterback that is evolving and getting better to one that was stagnant and never really improved is pretty hilarious in my opinion. Tua has put up historic numbers and is leading the most exciting offense in the NFL and some nitpicking trolls want to get their panties in the wad if he makes a bad throw.

I'd imagine those same trolls would get upset if underthrows a pass in the Super Bowl... Then again, it's much harder to admit being wrong for some.

29. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Right, like I've pointed out with you repeatedly, you ALWAYS are"all or nothing."

Yes, he could be figured out last season, and this season either he improved things, or McDaniel improved things. I don't understand why you refuse to simply acknowledge simple truths.

You are again manipulating statements to seemingly do nothing but troll.

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Pot meet kettle.

31. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    it is STILL backpedaling. What don't you get?????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  32. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    LOL. A regular pattern of making definitive statements, then wriggling like a worm on a hook later..... bit of advice... stop posting terrible takes and you won't have to defend them later.

Bumrush likes this.
  33. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Except for the FACT that he had good games AFTER THE CHARGERS GAME LAST SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!! and you still doubled down.

34. FinFaninBuffalo

Dec 13, 2007
    Eee hee hee.....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

35. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The reason these Tua discussions are endless is that everyone assumes everything continues in perpetuity and that athletes are only as good or as bad as their last performance.

There will be good games and bad games, and everything in between and nobody should overreact to either. We're in year 4 here, we can start judging the body of work and not games at the micro level.

That said, what a game and you have to be impressed that Tua still seems to be getting better every year. Nobody can argue with his upward trajectory when healthy. Here's hoping for a season full of more of what we saw yesterday!

36. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Tua is now the betting favorite for MVP after Week 1.

Bumrush likes this.
  37. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    How is it backpedaling if I'm stating you can scheme responses? It's a league of adjustments.

LOL, and also it's not like the Chargers took away the middle of the field well. The fact you are taking one game as validation of everything you believe in speaks to your intelligence.

resnor likes this.
  38. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I agree with this completely.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  39. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This all day! He's going to have "off" games. Even the all-time greats have had bad games. Dan Marino had bad games...Many of them. The main thing I'm looking at with the Quarterback position is, can we beat anyone on any given Sunday with this guy? If you have that type of Quarterback, then you're in good shape. I feel we have that with Tua. We can go anywhere and beat anyone on any day as long as he's upright and healthy. That doesn't mean he's not going to have an off-game on random weeks.

resnor and MonstBlitz like this.
  40. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Wait a second. There are tons of posts from last year showing that you guys were claiming those elite stats prior to Tua being "figured out" were NOT representative of what kind of QB Tua really was. The argument was that the much smaller sample size with the "figured out" games was more indicative of what we were going to see going forward than the elite stat games prior to Tua being figured out.

The "let's wait and see whether Tua and McDaniel can adapt" argument is the one I and others were asking you guys to make, but you refused to do so. You had already made up your mind that Tua was average to slightly average and that it was external circumstances that led to the elite stats.

Sorry, your posting history is counter to the narrative you're trying to create here.

Bumrush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.