No doubt Dolphins going after Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A preview of Gruden's QB Camp with Tannehill:

[video=youtube;kOWNjphb7M0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kOWNjphb7M0[/video]

Love how he can get out there and show receivers how to run the routes. It suddenly occurs to me that even though he sits the bench for a year, he may still play in the games in other ways.

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Smart kid. And yeah, probably never has an NFL QB been able to instruct WR's on how to run routes, sans maybe Kordell.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't think you can overstate the value of having seen a QB in a pro-style offense. The draft is all about projecting the player into the NFL. That is so much easier if you have already seen them doing so much of what they will be doing at the next level.

sports24/7 likes this.
  4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not sure that no one wants to hear that. If after their evaluations, the Dolphins brass feels Weeden is the better prospect, I'd be all for them doing that. I think if they're high on Tannehill though, it's not reaching by taking him at 8.

5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    If you think about it, the wildcat possibilities with a guy like that who's an experienced WR, are almost endless. You could line him up all over the field and ask him to do just about everything from throwing the ball, to blocking, to running, to catching it. That thought hadn't really crossed my mind either until you said that.

6. SlyFoxxx

SlyFoxxx Sorry for Party Rocking

Jul 29, 2011
    How often are you going to line your "Franchise QB" up at WR and have him block downfield or go over the middle on crossing routes?

That's one surefire way to make a risky pick riskier.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If he's actively playing quarterback, you're not doing it period.

If he's sitting the bench? You don't draft football players like fine bits of china, to put them in a cabinet for display and never let anyone touch them.

Mile High Fin and sports24/7 like this.
  8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    To add some fuel to the Tannehill fire, I just did the calculations and Ryan was the most efficient goal line player in 2010 and 2011 amongst all the draftable real quarterbacks in this Draft, excluding B.J. Coleman who played at Chattanooga where I can't get any stat splits, and Darron Thomas who is not in my opinion a real quarterback (but a hell of a Wildcat QB possibility).

Importance of that not to be understated. Finding ways to get Ryan Tannehill on the field as a rookie even though he's sitting for a year to learn the game is important to me. I want a good mix of both, the learning aspect of everything and not having too much pressure, as well as getting his feet wet and putting him in position to go out there and successfully execute plays that are in his wheelhouse.

It's also important in that raising your efficiency on the goal line can have really big consequences in games and in your season. The Dolphins only scored touchdowns on 14 of the 27 times they got a 1st & Goal. That's abysmal. With Tannehill's efficiency, that could have been more like 25 of 27 times. That could have been a difference of as many as 50 points over the course of a season.

Second most efficient QB in goal line was Kellen Moore (ultra-quick decision maker, great in tight spaces where he doesn't have to throw the football very far), and Russell Wilson (dual threat, also quick decision maker). There was actually a pretty good bit of distance between those three and Andrew Luck, with Brandon Weeden rounding out the group of players with good to elite ratios in this category. There's quite a bit of distance between Weeden and Griffin, who only has mediocre percentages in this category.

9. SlyFoxxx

SlyFoxxx Sorry for Party Rocking

Jul 29, 2011
    How efficient was he against top 25 teams or top 25 defenses? I know his overall stats suffered big time so it would be interesting to see with this other stat you have. Maybe if we get to play Idaho or Southern Methodist these things would matter.

I also think that our efficiency will go up as a result of Tony leaving. I think the offense will be dramatically improved just by subtracting him, similar to what happened in Carolina when they added Chud as OC and got rid of Fox as the conservative head coach.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think the tannehill stuff would also create some excitement, talking about our rookie comin out and contributing showing toughness and willingness would be exciting..and Iam all about evolving the damn formation and keeping in our repotoire, not sure how our west coast cats feel about it though..

11. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know that I'd have him going over the middle, but I don't see how asking him to block a DB or run a route is all that risky when the alternative is sit on the bench. How many shots did the Panthers "Franchise QB" (aka Cam Newton) take both in college and in the NFL. Newton is so effective because he does things that expose him a little bit, but he's a big boy so he can take it. Tannehill is also a big boy and over his career will probably asked to take far less shots than Newton even if he spends his first year as a specialty player.

djphinfan likes this.
  12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Tebow.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Ryan Tannehill @ 8 :yes:

14. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I don't know anymore. It seems we want a Qb and need a Qb and we are linked to Tannehill due to the Sherman factor and Miami needing a Qb.
    I think they like Floyd if avail at 8 and do some wheeling and dealing to try and get Weeden. I don't think Tannehill is 1st on the draft board.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the only thing anyone can say if Tannehill is available @ 8 & they pass on him
    is that they know this guys potential as a Franchise QB like no one else could possibly know in this draft
    having said that
    my money will be on Tannehill @ 8

2012 is the year of the Coaching Cadre:escape: Tannehill is the future