1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nolan Carrol to eagles 2 years @5 million

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jagfish, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    Well I hope that our young guys step up. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/eagles-stay-busy-sign-nolan-carroll/

2. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Damn.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    More than hes worth, i'm ok with it.

finyank13 likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Just when he began to pull his head out of his arse.

Best of luck and Godspeed, Mr. Carroll.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Wow that is ridiculously cheap and I'm sorry we couldn't get a deal done.

6. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Feel like we could have matched that offer, we are very thin at db and I was hoping Carroll would have been a must sign but I guess not... So going into the draft O line and CB are positions of need... Any word on Carlos Rodgers?

7. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    5 mill per year or total?

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Sounds like total.

9. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Not happy to hear that. I haven't had too big of a problem with anything they've done wrt free agency so far---I've liked most of it. But I wouldn't have let him get away. It just creates another hole to fill and we have too damn many of those already.

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Ridiculous we're paying Matt Moore more than that.....so dumb.

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Totally disagree. I am disappointed Miami didn't sign him for that amount.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Agreed!

13. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yup. Nice value deal here with Carroll. Same with Trumaine McBride. Corey Graham got a little overpaid by Buffalo, imo. Will be curious to see what Munnerlyn ultimately gets. The corner market is playing out interestingly this year.

Anyways...I do think we should've kept Carroll at that price tag.

14. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    The coaching staff obviously did not want Carroll retained, or they think Taylor or Davis are going to contribute heavily this year. FAs don't typically sign cheap, two year contracts with other teams unless they are simply not wanted by their former team.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    One of the problems for me is that I have very little faith in the staff.

gunn34 and DPlus47 like this.
  16. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    And here is the positive spin. If the coaching staff didn't want Carrol back at those numbers (which seem very reasonable) then they must have seen enough from Davis and Taylor in practice to feel confident in them contributing this year.

17. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    Coyle does seem to have a knack with CBs so I'll trust them on this.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The only coach I trust right now on the staff is Kacy Rodgers.

unifiedtheory and PhinishLine like this.
  19. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    I agree. I think Carroll should have been retained.

20. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    There's 'contributing'...and then there's 'starting at #2CB.'

I think you're rolling the dice going with either of them at that spot opposite Grimes. Neither of them did jack last year. Corner also has one of the sharpest learning curves of all the positions (behind only QB, imo) when making the jump to the NFL. Guys need to develop. And here we could've had a fall-back plan, one that we're familiar with, for cheap.

Starry31 likes this.
  21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Disappointing. That's a pretty cheap contract for a corner who seems to be improving.

I'm guessing the staff has confidence in Taylor and Davis. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Patterson brought back.

22. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I have big expectations from Taylor. People are discounting him because he was injured all year but if he's healthy i believe he is capable of starting because he was highly regarded coming out of Boise last year. If we re-sign Patterson I think we are not only fine at CB but we are pretty strong both now and for the next few years although admittedly the decline at that position happens really fast but Grimes is still only 30 and he was amazing last year.

23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

What would be more difficult to overcome, loss of Tanny for a game or two or loss of a CB for a game or two ??

Carroll played well at times, but it took him a long time to get where he is and he's still a #3/4 CB, nothing more...Good move for the Eagles, but not that much of a loss for us...

LI phinfan likes this.
  24. fins104

fins104 New Member

Oct 1, 2013
    I think we would be very smart to offer Matt Moore to a team like either the raiders, texans, maybe Browns, Vikings. A lot of teams could use a veteran QB to pair with a young guy.

25. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    You guys sure look at things in a vacuum.

We got 2nd and 3rd round picks back there. Thomas is still around and hopefully develops. Plus whose to say we don't add a FA corner that's more Coyle's style around the same price?

26. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, I've seen too many NFL seasons go down the drain because the starting QB suffered a significant injury. Moore may be overpaid but I rather have an overpaid good backup than no good backup at all.

77FinFan likes this.
  27. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Moore is not as good as a lot of Dolfans think he is.

28. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    27 year-old home-grown guy who has been a steady contributor just signed a very reasonable contract at nice value with another team to be a 3rd/alternate corner. We don't have a proven guy with starter experience to play #2 CB right now. We have two second-year guys who couldn't get on the field last year due to health and/or experience issues, both of which are still concerning going into this year.

And what kinda irks me even more is: that we drafted a guy, developed him, watched him play solid ball, watched it become clear that this guy is going to have a longer career than most 5th rounders, and then watched another team get a good deal on him shortly after he turned 27.

SICK and DPlus47 like this.
  29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Maybe not, but he's certainly not bad. He has value to us.

30. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    Fade Culver, Clemmons and Carroll the 3 C minuses have been a 3rd down curse and if that's the best we can do and you all support that, then you support SUB PAR PLAY. Yea PFF says this and that about Carroll, whatever. Looking for our number two pick Jamar Taylor to come up big. My concern is our Safety's & LBs holding up their end.

Carolina Panthers at 4:13
    [TABLE="class: mod-data mod-pbp, width: 100%"]
    [TR="class: odd, bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]4th and 10 at CAR 20[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"](Shotgun) C.Newton pass short left to S.Smith to CAR 39 for 19 yards (R.Jones). MIA-C.Clemons was injured during the play. His return is Probable.[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: even, bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD]1st and 10 at CAR 39[/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) C.Newton pass short right to G.Olsen ran ob at CAR 48 for 9 yards (N.Carroll).[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]2nd and 1 at CAR 48[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"](Shotgun) C.Newton pass incomplete short right to S.Smith (R.Starks).[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]3rd and 1 at CAR 48[/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) C.Newton right end to MIA 44 for 8 yards. PENALTY on MIA-R.Jones, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced at MIA 44.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]1st and 10 at MIA 29[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"](Shotgun) C.Newton right end to MIA 29 for no gain (C.Wake).[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Timeout #1 by MIA at 01:45.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]2nd and 10 at MIA 29[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"](Shotgun) C.Newton pass short left to T.Ginn to MIA 21 for 8 yards (N.Carroll).[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Timeout #2 by MIA at 01:31.[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]3rd and 2 at MIA 21[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]M.Tolbert left end to MIA 6 for 15 yards (C.Clemons; D.Ellerbe).[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]1st and 6 at MIA 6[/TD]
    [TD](Shotgun) M.Tolbert right tackle to MIA 1 for 5 yards (J.Odrick).[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Timeout #3 by MIA at 00:46.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD]2nd and 1 at MIA 1[/TD]
    [TD="class: bi"]C.Newton pass short right to G.Olsen for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

31. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Although a snippet, that summarizes my feel on Carroll. I like seeing him go, as I never bought into the hype around him...I saw him blow far too many plays to let the few he did make sway me to his side.

This, however, makes it more of a priority, IMO, to bring back Patterson, who I REALLY like, even with injury issues. That and maybe snag another solid guy in FA for depth. Not too worried about the CBs if this happens, particularly since I expect Taylor to make strides this year.

Puka-head likes this.
  32. Larryfinfan

With the new CBA, it's more worth it for teams to draft a QB...that gives you as much as 5 yrs (if the guy is a 'hit', yeah, a big IF) before you have to kick in with the big salaries. Moore is a journeyman QB who, when he's had chances to be 'the guy' has not quite gotten there. He's a great guy to have as a backup to your #1 guy. That's why, imo, its more beneficial to keep him around. We (us fins fans) have been here when the #1 guy isn't as good as Moore. If you look at the guys floating around in FA, other than perhaps Vick, the rest are guys that are just like Moore...

33. Larryfinfan

But Limbo, he's just a guy....he's ok as a #4 or #3, but that's his ceiling... He's played solidly...at times... At times, not...I don't see a real big loss here... Yes, we have some filling in to do in the secondary, but FA has just started and the draft is around the corner and it's obvious that the staff seems to have a higher opinion of the two guys we drafted last year than we do...they do see them every day...I just don't see the big deal with losing Carroll...

34. VManis

Nov 10, 2010
    and yet the FO choose to proceed without Carrol as a safety net. As I said if you want to spin this positively, it says they feel comfortable that Taylor and/or Davis will take that next step this year.

35. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    If Tannehill goes down Id rather go 5-12 and get a high pick rather than 7-9 or 8-8 and a pick like we have now.

36. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sweatin Nolan Carroll, he had one pretty good year, the rest he was bad, and I promise y'all, he shied away from contact on several occasions that would piss you off as much as it did me, don't have time for that mentality.

LI phinfan, Fin-Omenal and NyPhinfan like this.
  37. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    You may be right. I hope so. I might be getting stuck on losing a guy we drafted and coached up ourselves. Keeping those players in one uniform doesn't happen enough these days, especially a late round find. Maybe I'm just feeling too much sentimental allegiance/responsibility or something.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  38. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    We've had enough losses over the decade. Do you have to start making them up now? :shifty:

39. Larryfinfan

Well, I'd agree normally, but just don't have the same opinion of Carroll that you do....any rate, we'll see what happens...it's relatively early in FA...

40. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Wtf...we couldn't give him that? Bad decision...this pill will be easier to swallow if we sign Walter Thurmond