1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nolan Wants Ballhawks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Georgia Fin, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
  2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I always loved how when I watched other defenses, the players picked up ANYTHING. The refs would have to whistle at least 6 times for them to stop. With Miami, it was make the tackle or break up the pass and get back into position. I love this idea. I'm seriously loving this. For some reason, we never looked like an NFL Defense to me, hopefully we will now.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Miami Achilles heel ? coach 'em up & fast

4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This is good. The defense is going to be dangerous.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A hidden nugget about Charlie Anderson and Phil Merling:

Anderson 2009:

[​IMG]

Anderson 2008:

[​IMG]

Phil Merling 2008:

[​IMG]

09:

[​IMG]

Charlie Anderson and Phil Merling both graded out better in 09 than in 08, they both may be ascending heading into the 2010 season.

FinNasty likes this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Don't know what Anderson and Merling have to with this thread, but back on topic...I love what Nolan is trying to do with the D.

7. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Don't you ever get tired of incessantly overusing that phrase?

8. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    I seriously have no idea how I'm supposed to read these graphs or what the numbers represent. I've seen you post them a few times now with no info as to what exactly I'm looking at.

Puka-head and gunn34 like this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/home.php?tab=home

Those are the game by graphs of each player's game grade as compiled by ProFootballFocus, if one wants deeper analysis then simply look at the game by game performance:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?tab=by_player&season=2009&page=4&surn=M&playerid=4346

merely scroll down to the game by game section and one can then match whether or not the player had a good game against say New England, or a bad game.

You can then click on the game and a stat sheet will appear for the contest:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/gst...ason=2009&wk=02&teamid=17&gameid=1426&stats=d

In the upper right hand corner there is player participation stats

10. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I don't understand the graphs but somehow feel safer.

11. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not an expert either... I just go by:

Green = Good
    Red = Bad

lol

12. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I'm really excited about this defense this year. I feel our defense could have done better last year if we had a better coordinator. Plus booting Wilson out the door is addition by subtraction. Also I'm liking what I am hearing about Clemons and feel he can really help the defense with the pass defense it was missing last year. Another year under Davis and Smith's belts can only be good and build with what they started last year. Now we also have Dansby to help us out in the middle, I can see this defense having a huge turn around year.

13. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I want ball hawks to.

14. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I may sound like a broken record, but our best pickup IMO this off season wasn't Dansby on defense, it was Nolan.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Can't wait to see the first INT of the year being taken back for 6 via convoy. My favorite play in football.

Puka-head likes this.
  16. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

The trade off may be that we are penalized more often. Aggressive defenses often get penalized for pass interferences, holding, personal fouls, etc.

It will come with the territory of this mentality.

17. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    ^^^

A trade off I'll take

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Just wanted to let you know that at least one person got that.

Den54 likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    By the way I hate the promise that comes with these over-generalized illustrations of various coaches' philosophies.

As if Paul Pasqualoni instituted a defense of "for god's sake, don't ever catch the ball".

The most overused lines of BS that any defensive coordinator can use to make his defense look better without playing a down:

1. "We're going to be a lot more aggressive."
    2. "We're going to attack offenses and dictate to them instead of letting them dictate to us."
    3. "We're going to create turnovers, the ball is anyone's once it is in the air."

You hear these things every year, over and over and over again, until they're meaningless. Utterly, stupendously meaningless. And if you say that, then you get accused of not liking the new defensive coach.

Trowa likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They are magic, like rabbits.

As for the over generalization, well, sort of, Omark did say 'this looks like the same scheme Pasqualoni ran except the ILB blitzes more often", to me this regime is so paranoid smiley that if Nolan was going to use exotic blitzes they wouldn't just bust them out for all the media to see.

21. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I'd like believe Nolan is some kind of football wizard.....but he's not.He's just a guy that likes to rush the passer and that leads to big plays going both ways.

And in San Fan they got sick of seeing them go the other way.He got the job their with them thinking he'd help that D..........but it fell apart and he lost his job because of it.

Then in Denver he started off as a wizard but then teams figured him out, and that's why he's here.

I'd like to believe he's more then what he is but the real reason he is here is because his NFL career is on life support.

padre31 likes this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Well, I don't buy into the "Savior Coordinator" as every scheme will work if there is enough talent, however Nolan's track record is solid, especially in his first season with a club.

As for SF, imho that has more to do with a talented Coordinator who was over his head as a Head Coach, Cam Cameron was that to a "T".

But since you brought up SF:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoJbh08n3c"]YouTube- Mike Nolan Rap Song[/ame]

funkdat likes this.
  23. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    LOL Killer song.

Cam Cameron was god awful as a head coach but he was just playing with Paul Pasqualoni when they faced each other and just made him look like a tool.

24. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
  25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    His time in San Fran was destroyed by the fact that his offense could never score any points. Alex Smith looked terrible there, and at best he looked Ok. Vernon Davis was either hurt or a no show during his tenure, and Gore was all they had. Ironically, the niners looked pretty good this year because those three guys all showed up and gave them chances to win games. if they had done that for nolan, he'd still be there. But nolan has no business running an offense, and unfortunately that's what hurt him.

As for Denver, I'm positive that had a lot more to do with McDaniels than anybody else. Dudes a tool, and unless Tebow really shines, Im not sure he lasts too much longer in Denver.

I don't think he's a savior, but the man can coach a defense. No doubt.