1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob Console Question - Controller Use

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Bumrush, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ok. As I mentioned before, I'm an old school PC gamer that loves first person shooters.. However, I don't have the time or patience to get back in to PC rig building and purchased a PS3, which I LOVE. This system is wicked. I also bought some old games, like Resistance and downloaded some Demos.

I still can not aim properly or really figure out the controller. I can only get through levels on Easy mode.. Is there a specific way to hold the controller? It is very frustrating as I love the console and the graphics, but the aiming part is killin me.... Any tricks? Or do I need to keep playing until I crack the damn controller against the wall?

2. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I think it is just a feel thing and getting use to the controller. I also think some games are just plain difficult to aim. Some I have have zippy problem aiming and all and others I just can't get the hang of it.

3. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    this may be worth a shot if you haven't tried it, switch the settings to inverted or vice versa and see if that helps. I can't play any shooter unless the controller settings are inverted (like up is down, down is up)

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I love first person shooters and hardly ever have fun w/ them on console. Just a different feel. I'm not necessarily terrible at them, I just cant get into them in the nearly the same way. Maybe try using a mouse/keyboard? I havent tried that, but maybe it'll change things.

I will say I am enjoying Resistance, and for some reason find the control less of an issue then in other shooters.

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    First person shooters are a pain in the *** to get used to on the consoles. I'm pretty mediocre with them (Except left 4 dead for some reason, I'm gold with that game).

6. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    Thanks to CoD4, I actually like FPS better on console now, primarily because I like the aiming effect when you push L1. You push down it aims, you let go you stop aiming. Unlike PC, which you right click you aim and in order to stop aiming you need to right click again. The way I hold my controller is I keep both of my pointer fingers on L1/R1 most of the time. If I want to throw grenades, i just move then to L2/R2, etc. My only problem with console FPS is the lack of keyboard chat.

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Keyboard and mouse is def the way to go.