1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Norv Turner WTF

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by TheAnswer385, Oct 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    He is a horrid head coach as he has the chargers playing like crap. Its seems like every time he takes over a team he turns them into trash. How does he keep getting chances to be a head coach, I mean come on he is an ok O coordinator but this is ridiculous. I would fire him now if I was the owner.

I didnt look any past records up this is just off the top of my head so if he had an amazing year I dont want to hear about it. :tongue2:

texanphinatic likes this.
  2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I don't like norv, and I'm glad that he is once again failing. I would say too bad for the chargers, but after the disrespect their fans showed us before and after our game that kind of changed that with me. They used to be my second favorite team.. no longer.

late again likes this.
  3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The fans are fired up about this team being 3-5 out here. It will only get uglier today. I have been worried about this when they hired Norv. Norv and Mike Singletary are the exact opposites. This team has too much talent to be 3-5.

4. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Not to call you out or anything but what the heck did "the fans" expect? Norv Turner led the Chargers to their first PO win since 1994 last year and to the championship game to boot. Then he loses his best defensive player in Shawne Merriman which instantly exposes a questionable secondary put together by AJ Smith. His offense still produces. He turned Rivers into an All Pro QB. It's not exactly his fault that Merriman got hurt or Smith got fancy in the secondary.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  5. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Good post bro! But as a coach he needs to rally his players and know that they can still be good and win games that they should of won. AJ at times has hurt this team. Vencie Glenn was on the radio saying a lot of the players that had fire and knew how the play hard are no longer here. This secondary is giving up way to much this year. There linebackers where they have depth is not doing well this year. With LT getting another year older, and not have a stud in Turner as his backup as well has also. Sproles has done a nice job but is no Turner. I know the DC Ted Cotrell doesn't play the game, be is coming under some heavy fire. He may want to go down to one of the Marine Corps surplus stores and pick up a flak jacket.

Vendigo likes this.
  6. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Well, the Chargers are one horrible call away from being 4-4 and I think that - considering a lot of injuries and a pretty lousy schedule full of opponents that match up very well against them - their record isn't too bad actually. They aren't getting dominated (4 of the 5 losses came by a TD or less) and they aren't exactly playing bad at the positions Turner can actually control. I think that, actually, Turner has his players rallied rather well. They play hard, they keep the "bad games" close, they nearly pulled out an impressive comeback victory yesterday. To me, the Chargers don't look like a team in need of a new HC. They look like a team in need of a new secondary.

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    They have a good secondary but they have been burnt. I hear you about the close games. Norv and his staff might have there backs against the wall. The reason why is the off season, pre-season and during the season there has been awful lot of talk by the media, and players about the superbowl. Can they turn it around yes, is it a hard road to the superbowl yes. We shall see bro. They really need to re-group during this bye week. There defense is giving up way too many points right now.

Vendigo likes this.
  8. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I really don't know. I think that Cromartie's interceptions disguised that the guy simply can't cover. Take away Merriman - and a lot of pass rush - and you're left with a CB who'll make the occassional bigplay while getting burned time and time again. Jammer's okay but I don't consider him a quality starter and that Cason pick suggests that Smith doesn't either. Same with Weddle and Hart; okay but nothing to write home about. Plus, their ILBs are downright horrible ... especially Wilhelm. Hence why they tend to give up huge yardage against TEs.

I like their DL and I'd kill for their outside linebackers (if healthy) but the rest is seriously overrated in my opinion. When people are saying, okay, so Merriman got hurt, but they still shouldn't play that bad, they are ignoring, in my opinion, that Merriman is to the Chargers defense what Dan Marino was to the Dolphins offense. Take him away and you're left with a good DL and nothing else.

9. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Nice post bro. Merriman was the fire on the defense that got them all fired up. His play kept the defense jacked up, and probably help hide the problems in the secondary. Last year the secondary played better. They lost Cooper at LB for the first four games with a suspension, there offensive line has been hurt for the first part of the year as well. It should be interesting as to where they will finish. I appreciate the conversation brother!:hi5:

Vendigo likes this.
  10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Same here, mate :up:

Essentially, I kinda feel for poor Norv. He's been stuck with the "horrible HC" tag (beats me if I know why) and a lot of fans are quick to blame everything on him as soon as the you know what hits the fence even though there's a lot of other factors at play. Guy got fired in Washington with a winning record, inherited a horrible team in Oakland with no chance to improve it (Al Davis, anyone?), then goes on to the AFC Championship game ... and is still a crappy HC. I just don't get it.

11. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    he may have went on to the afc championship game (with marty's group) last year but that team IMO wasnt as good as the year before. Ive seen a steady decrease since hes been there.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I like Turner. I think he's a good coach who just had some really bad luck this season.

13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    imo, turner does less with more than just about anyone.

texanphinatic likes this.
  14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Turner is a terrible coach, and his record proves it. Last year was an anomoly, and due more to the amazing talent of that team than his coaching ability.

This year imo is much more the "real" Norv that has always shown when he is coaching. Teams woefully unprepared, losing key games, unable to get any momentum going etc etc.

I was, frankly, shocked that the Bolts got the champ. game last year, I thought they would disintegrate. Looks like it just took an extra year.

TheAnswer385 likes this.