1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not worth the risk for Hill or Waddle on punts/kicks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said last year that he was considering using wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle to return punts or kickoffs, but he didn’t follow through on it, even as Miami struggled in the return game. This week, McDaniel said he decided it just wasn’t worth the risk.

Hill returned just two punts last season and no kickoffs, and Waddle never returned any kicks at all. Both players were willing to do it, and McDaniel talked about it with special teams coach Danny Crossman, but McDaniel felt that the contributions Hill and Waddle make on offense were too important.

“This is a decision that I make with regard to the players and with Danny and risk-reward for everything,” McDaniel said, via Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post. “In this particular season, I probably would have expected them to return more. But then as the games were happening, there was honestly, the stuff that they were able to do offensively and how much of a important feature they were, that’s the way it played out.”

McDaniel suggested that new arrival Braxton Berrios will be the primary punt and kickoff returner this season, though he won’t totally rule out Hill and Waddle occasionally getting an opportunity.

“You always want the threat to be there,” McDaniel said of Hill and Waddle. “And it always will be there because those guys are competitors and can affect the game. But, you know, having a starting point in Braxton, I think is nice as well, where he’s had so much success and then you know, whatever else we can come up with, Shoot, maybe we’ll have three returners out there.”

Hill was a Pro Bowl punt returner as a rookie, and Waddle did some return work as a rookie as well, but that part of their game appears to be in their past.

2. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    agree

3. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Hard agree.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    I think it was dumb they didn't get anyone last year. Cedric Wilson returns were insane. Glad they finally corrected this.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I would be delighted to take a touchback on 100% of the kickoffs every year. Just don't risk bad field position, a turnover or an injury and get the ball on the 25.

With punts, I mostly want a guy back there who can secure the ball first and foremost. Don't do anything risky most of the time, and a fair catch is rarely a bad choice. But if the punter really booms it or makes a bad punt, then having someone who can get some smart yards and get out of bounds is valuable. I look at punt returns in sort of the same way that I do a QB running when there's a lot of open field in front of him and then just being safe at the end.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Cheerios will pay dividends

7. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I'm with you on that. The one TD they might get is not worth the 20 times they don't get the the 25 to me.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Or worse, take a big risk and get stuck inside the ten. Or worst of all, fumble the damn ball away.

First and foremost, never lose the game because of Special Teams. If its a complete draw in that regard every week, I'm happy.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    dolphin25 likes this.