1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notes from practice 8/20

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Tannehill working with 1's.

Wake and Burnett back practicing.

Dansby, McDaniel and Hartline still out

Richard Marshall still starting over Vontae

Austin Spitler starting for Dansby

John Jerry working with starting O-Line.

2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Where was Jerry working

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Trusnik looked in over his head when put at MLB. I think Austin Spitler is the right call to replace Dansby at that position. If it were an outside spot then I'd put Trusnik in but on the inside, Spitler is closer to being good enough there than Trusnik.

I wonder if Hicks is fighting injuries. He's been held out of some practices.

xphinfanx, Stringer Bell and Bpk like this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    They didn't specify. I'm assuming RG because Hicks isn't there today.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Some good news there.

Would like the team to tell us how long Hartlune is expected to be out. If this calf thing is lingering I don't wanna see him walking up and down the damned sidelines potentially slowing recovery.

6. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    ****ing Hartline. When I read the injury report on him a month ago I must have missed the part that said "amputation".

7. Bpk

Totally agree Spitler is more natural fit
    At MLB than Trusnik after watching both.

If Tannehill works with the 1s tomorrow he is starting this week imo.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This Brian Hartline injury is the strangest thing I've ever seen. How long has he been out now? It's been months and still no positive signs.

9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think they know. It seems like he could be back any day at this point.

10. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

IzzyGould profile

IzzyGould Tannehill with another nice pass to Rishard Mathews. 10 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    IzzyGould profile

IzzyGould Matt Moore working with 2s against first team defense. about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    apoupartFins profile

apoupartFins If today's practice is a good indicator, Ryan Tannehill will be the starting quarterback Friday night. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    IzzyGould profile

IzzyGould Tannehill hits Roberto Wallace in 11-11. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    AdamHBeasley profile

AdamHBeasley Wallace and Naanee working with first-team offense. 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    AdamHBeasley profile

AdamHBeasley Tannehill gets first snap with 11-on-11s.

ArmandoSalguero He's the better player. So practically no choice. MT @Dolphan23: .. do you think this is all premature for Tannehill to get the #1 QB ? 2 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
    IzzyGould profile

IzzyGould Tannehill 3-3 on this drill including two to Mathews

11. Bpk

I'm starting to think Calf Injury is a bull**** code word for something else.

Larry Little likes this.
  12. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Could be. I'd think the beat writers would notice if he were rehabbing something other than the calf. My guess is that he may have tried to come back to early and reaggrevated at some point.

13. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He has done virtually nothing against live opponents , he isn't going to be ready for start of the season imo.

14. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Sounds like Tannehill will be your starter Friday night, since the coaches' effort this week is to mimic a regular season preparation week. I don't think they're going to fart with using a backup quarterback with the first team when they're trying to practice gameplanning.

The Rev, Bpk and Mcduffie81 like this.
  15. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Tannehill got most of the first team reps per Ben Volin.

The future is now.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Looks like Rishard Matthews' "foot in the door" play against the Panthers also got him an increase in opportunities.

That was no ordinary touchdown he scored. The door was closing on his chances of making the 53 man roster, fast...and he jammed his foot squarely in there to say not so fast. If he can capitalize and follow up, he makes this team.

Lee2000, Gunner, jsizzle and 5 others like this.
  17. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    As I said in another thread, coaches gonna coach. I wish it were otherwise, but with Garrard out there's no way around it.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Calf very well could be code for Achilles. Not a tear though, obviously.

19. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I like Matthews. The way he forced himself in the endzone was telling of how bad he wants it.

I cant help but think Gadsden when I see him in that visor and number. Its unfortunate he also looks as slow as the old eighty six....

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That touchdown was a Hakeem Nicks play.

21. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    If that's the case and this being his contract season before becoming a ufa
    I believe his days will be numbered
    What happened to him play wise because he started his career decent but
    has 1 td in the past 26 games

22. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Hartline = PUP List?

Since the team is game planning this week, thoughts about leaving Fasano back and help out on the right side of the line?

23. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He can't go on the PUP, you have to start camp on the PUP in order to go on the regular season PUp.

The Rev likes this.
  24. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sounds like they are taking last looks at guys to make decisions on soon.

As for T-Hill, iirc he was doing the same things when Moore started the first gm.

Does appear he will be the guy, 5 win season here we come!

:woot:

BTW the new trade deadline (from wk #6 to wk #8) and injury exemption rules have not been approved by the players so the old rules are in effect meaning Hartline does not have many options.

Bpk likes this.
  25. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Isn't there is a new I/R classification this year where a guy can be brought back after week 8?

26. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    So frustrating to hear that Hartline is still out.

Starting to look like Tannehill could be the man come week 1

27. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Simultaneously, let's not build him up into something he isn't. He isn't going to save the season by finally practicing.

Bpk likes this.
  28. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    you nearly turned me into a ROFLufagus with that...Yup, looks like another top ten pick coming our way. This could get ugly.

29. infiltrateib

infiltrateib Oh Hi Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Could be a groin injury. I had one of those that took months to heal, and I had to be basically inactive because I kept re-injuring it anytime I played anything requiring lateral movement (basketball, football, climbing).

PS: Man, my signature and avatar are so outdated and terrible.

MAFishFan likes this.
  30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not yet, no.

31. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Sadly, I fear you are correct with this. He'll definitely be a much needed boost, but no cure all. In fact, the first week or two back might even be a bit shaky until hes fully back to speed and synced up with whoever the QB happens to be.

Bpk likes this.
  32. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I know first hand how frustrating calf injuries can be, I use to be an avid basketball player until about 6 years ago when I pulled my calf muscle, stopped playing for several months till I thought it heeled, went back on the court and before I knew it popped again, this went on for several years, no matter the taping job, stretching or strength exercises I did I keep injuring it to the point I just had to stop playing because I was afraid it was a sign of a worse injury such an torn achillies to come.

I have had chronic and reoccurring injuries before but never anything like this.

33. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Actually this is the sort of thing that could help the Dolphins retain him on the cheap, IMO. I read a media report saying they approached Brian about a new contract very, very early in the off season, but it got shelved. Wonder if they revisit and he and his agent kind of have their tail tucked between their legs ready to sign.

I re-emphasize that he's actually a pretty good player at the position.

dolfan32323 and Stringer Bell like this.
  34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Brian Hartline will not be a savior. But he can do the exact things that Ryan Tannehill wants Roberto Wallace to do, but can't get him to do right now.

Hartline gets separation on comebacks. He can get separation on the out. He can catch the ball and get his feet in bounds. He can catch the back shoulder.

That low ball for a would-be touchdown against the Bucs? Brian Hartline makes that catch. It wasn't a special route, nor was a special route needed. Tannehill threw the ball low where only the receiver could get it, based on the leverage with which the corner was playing. It was a special throw and required a special catch. Roberto couldn't haul it in but I bet Brian could as he's demonstrated he can make good catches on slightly off target low balls.

35. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC

Hiruma78 and Mcduffie81 like this.
  36. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Hartline injury reminds me of Matt Roth.

37. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

To save having to retype that 50 million times during every preseason. We should just keep it on a notepad to copy and paste. Or the PUP rules would make a helpful sig block.

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Your signature yes. Your avatar is the gift that keeps on giving. I've seen that pic on many places on the internet and the larger version is even nicer.

39. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    IMO, he has lost all leverage right now. This is the kind of deal that Ireland does not lose.

40. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Someone please explain to me why Naanee is running with the starters. I realize he has performed well in practice, or so I am told by Omar. But what has he done in the games? I have to believe Matthews get in on the roster. He can return kicks and he showed serious skill on routes last Friday. He will likely make us forget that Cunningham is not going to make it yet was picked a round earlier. Kind of like Turner and Hartline, only they were earlier selections.