1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now that the dust has settled...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The G Man, Oct 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    and no players were acquired before the trade deadline yesterday, is anyone disappointed we didn't make a move?

I know many here were excited about the prospect of getting Bowe. But, the question you have to ask is at what price? Was he worth two picks to get (presumably a 2nd and another later round pick)? And, is he (or a player of his abilities) better than someone we can get in the upcoming draft? Equally important (and this really opens up a can of worms) is getting a big physical WR really a pressing need? Many here will argue that we need every pick we have in the upcoming draft. And, we need to invest most of those picks heavily into defensive players. Specifically LB, NT, S.

Thoughts?

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I was prepared to flip the lightswitch in my brain if I found out that Ginn was traded. That's all I'm going to say.

3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'm not upset at all we really have not had enough time with our current starting QB to fully appreciate the assets that he allows our existing WR's to display. Henne has started two games and in each game his passing stats have gotten better and as demonstrated against the Jets he showed us something in Ginn we've never seen before.

If we could have picked up someone cheap for a later round pick I would have been all for it but as it is I'm fine with the way things worked out.

4. Zach13

Zach13 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Miami
    I'm happy to keep our picks.

The best road to long term success is success in the draft.

5. Tpaddle

Tpaddle Active Member

Sep 21, 2009
    im not too disappointed...our last game really got me excited about the players we currently have and i think our offense especially is moving in the right direction with henne...im looking for big things from ginn from now on

dolfan7171 and Jeffrey like this.
  6. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I too just wanted to keep our picks. We will see what we have in Ginn soon enough. It would have been nice to see a FS, but we may have one sitting on the bench right now.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I already know what we have with Ginn. Knew since day one and NEVER said anything bad about the man. I heard countless people bad mouthing him at games and I refused to partake.

Ginn is my boy. Can someone make me one of those "Proud father of Ted Ginn" photos? I'll buy you some brew at the game this weekend.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    *shrugs*

I would have been happy if they did land a player, but I'm not disappointed that they didn't, ya know?

9. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i couldn't have said it better myself. i would have been ok with trading for another position but not for WR. i would much rather see what Ginn has to offer now that he has a real chance. after this season i will be able to say if Ginn is the player i've been hoping he is "with a QB with an arm" or if he sucks!

I'm glad we didn't give away any draft picks. We're in our 2nd year of rebuilding. We need all the draft picks we can get. i wish we had players that we could deal to give us more draft picks. i don't want to give away any players that we need. i'm talking about people like will allen since we drafted 2 outstanding cb's that will only get better. people like matt roth b/c we've been fine without him. and people like channing crowder b/c he sucks.

I would have been really happy if we could have added 3 draft picks from players like that. but after its all said and done i'm glad we didn't lose any draft picks now that the trade deadline is over. i look forward to seeing Henne throw bombs to Ginn!

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Ginn is going to keep burning fools. I guarantee it!!!

dolfan7171 and TiP54 like this.
  11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we will probably never find out how "close" it really was to makin a deal, but i have to admit the only player i would have been ok with to get, would have been bowe and i mean i would have been ok with a 2nd and a late rounder maybe a 5th, but that would have been the only guy, in the end i´m happy we kept our core picks and can use them in one of the best upcoming drafts in years

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry brother, I am very graphically challenged or I would be all over it :up:

I actually find solice in the fact our FO sat on what they have.
    I believe these guys are amongst the most shrewd in the league. The fact they did nothing means there were no bargain basement deals to be had.

Also, let's put things into perspective.
    We are basically one game out in our division, and while we are getting better and healthier each week, none of the other teams in our division can say that.

All I ask our guys is win the division, and I think its wide open at this point.
    Come playoff time, anything can happen. :up:

DOLPHAN1, 54Fins, CashInFist and 5 others like this.
  13. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    can you elaborate on this? i've never even seen a full college game! i know its crazy but i've always been into the NFL and i don't care for the way they rate teams in college. i might watch college if they ever get a playoff system. until then, i'm completely ignorant to anything about college football.

Which positions have the most talent in this upcoming draft?

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I was more then happy to keep ginn and our picks. I initially killed the ginn pick but he won me over during the second jet game last year coming up with big catch after big catch. I think trading picks now with one of the deepest draft classes in a few years about to come in to the league would have been a huge mistake. I'm kind of hoping we find a way to accumulate a few more picks actually.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Is Ginn going to be handling punt/kick returns by himself now? Does anyone know?

16. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I think we brought in kory sheets to help him with that. But I hope ginn spends some time back there because he is a much bigger threat.

17. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I think it says a lot to our players that the FO has faith in them. We didn't announce trying to pursue any deals, although I'm sure we voiced our interest to a few different teams.

So our players walk away from this thinking that, as Tony Sparano said in his presser, He is proud of his team. The coaches believe in them, they should believe in themselves.

A stud WR, an upgrade to safety or Middle Linebacker would have been nice. But the fact of the matter is, as some have already said, performing these sort of mid season changes says "We're a super bowl calibur team in every aspect, EXCEPT for this one." I'm not ruling out a super bowl possibility, but I think realistically we need one more full year of draft, and FA to be an elite team. My point being that even a huge upgrade at one of those three positions doesn't instantly make us Elite. Clearly it makes us better, but we could pay less in the offseason, and just as easily become Elite.

Anyways, I think my point is that for me I was going to be happy either way so long as it wasn't a boneheaded trade deal we made. We've got a strong team, and even if we don't make it we're still progressing along very well. I think the draft picks, and players we didn't trade will help give us a huge boost next year.

azfinfanmang and dolfan7171 like this.
  18. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Supposedly he'll be on Kick Returns, but Bess will still have the Punt Return duties.

19. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I think Bess does have more of an initial burst, so I can see why the coaches would like him back there for punts. But when Ginn gets up to full speed, there aren't many people who are going to catch him if he hits open field. Actually I don't think there is anyone who could catch him.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    they just followed their blue-print

found a RB & T under a rock
    & turned over the bottom moving Murphy
    & baiting the the market w/GinnJr

expect to see GinnJr play
    up to expectation
    after this wake-up call

we will use the draft
    & up-coming free-agency
    to fill in the few remaining holes:
    @ NT, ILB & WR
    perhaps a couple of ST's players

all looks good to me

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    then WTH did we sign Kory Sheets?

22. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    To take Cobbs' role in the offense, I believe.

23. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I believe the coaches picked him up to initially contribute on special teams (not returns), but just a core guy. I highly doubt we'll see him on offense anytime soon.

24. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    IF healthy, i think we sign Merriman this offseason, and close the book on OLB with Roth and Wake ... maybe keep JT or JP around ...

needs will be ILB, S, NT, WR

Gardner, Murphy and Hartline have some potential along the OL
    Jones and Baker have some potential along the DL
    Marion, IF, he can recover has great potential as a WR

clean up the LB core, most notibly ILB - improve S, even with Clemons - sort out NT and WR and this team will be in a great position come next year. Young and dominating !

25. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I wish we would have dumped Ginn and picked up a #1 WR.

Bowe, Evans, Smith and Edwards were out there. I know that Edwards is off the market now, but we was up for grabs 10 days ago.

The fact that the Dolphins were trying to trade Ginn is the writing on the wall.

Ginn may be a nice guy and has blazing speed, but he's a bad WR.

Sorry to those that don't like my opinion, but I really don't care.:up:

26. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    How do you know the Dolphins were trying to trade him? Because someone started a rumor that means it's true? Don't believe everything you read on the internet. That's how WWII got started.

27. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I would've liked to get Bowe. I firmly believe that just a 1st would be a bargain for Bowe. And a 2nd and 4th or 5th would've been a Clearance sale bargain for Bowe.

But I'm also not too disappointed we saved our picks.

And I'm also happy that it means Ginn is still here. Although I'm not his biggest fan, I'd still like to see what he does the rest of the year with Henne.

jetssuck likes this.
  28. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    Not from something someone read from the internet. :lol:

29. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Please that's ridiculous.
    We all know WWII got started when Kanye West texted Hitler's I-phone asking him if he liked "fish sticks", and then proceeding to call him a "gay fish."

dolfan7171 likes this.
  30. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Best country of all time!! OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimToss likes this.
  31. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I'm by no means a Ginn fan either, but I'm willing to let him answer the bell with Henne for a few weeks to see if the knock I have on him is accurate or if the Ginn lovers had any validity in the QB being the issue.

steveincolorado likes this.
  32. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Sorry to digress, but im the exact same. I was never into college ball, it just seems so much slower. For the NFL, they are all pros and have a higher standard and when i try to watch college games, its just the most obvious blocks that these players miss, obvious holes that arent being hit, etc. that make me not interested. But anyway, I cant wait to see what Ginn is about now. I think Henne coming in not only starts Henne's "reign", but also lets us know if we should hold onto Ginn or move on.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  33. finz810

finz810 Season Ticket Holder

Im not disappointed but I wish we did make a move on a big target WR

34. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    How many times did Pennington hit Ginn for a 50+ yard touchdown pass? Let me know when you find the answer.

35. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Are you Ginn's daddy or are you having his baby? You act like Ginn is the answer for our Super Bowl run next year.

36. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007

Look, even if you hate Ginn he doesn't stop us from adding any other players. Ginn doesn’t stop us from going to a Super Bowl, if anything he helps. And for the record, I'm having his babies. That's right, Twins! Congrats me!:party:

Stitches and Jeffrey like this.
  37. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    A Ginn hater not getting along with someone who actually likes Ginn?

SUUURPRISE. :shifty:

38. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    Actually......I am a proud father of Ted Ginn.

39. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    If Bowe was actually available and we balked because we didn't want to give up a 2nd and a 5th or hell even our first, I'd have a HUGE problem with that.

It's not like this FO hasn't taken bigger gambles....White at #44, 8 mil guaranteed to Wilson? Trading for Bowe would have made far more sense than those moves...

I wasn't in favor of trading Ginn, I just wanted to add a serious red zone threat to the mix, someone that grabs a pass, shakes a tackle and heads for the end zone. Getting one in the draft is going to be a crap shoot....

Eop05 and GridIronKing34 like this.
  40. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I agree, a 2nd and 5th for Bowe? Sign me up right now. I'd throw in Camarillo too just to make the deal happen.