1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now that we have a complete look inside the franchise.....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Aug 29, 2012.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    How have your views changed about our Miami Dolphins. Namely...

Jeff Ireland: Do you like him more or less now? Do you think he is doing a better or worse job than what you believed before Hard Knocks aired?

Joe Philbin: Has he met your expectations on what you thought he was coming in? Do you like what you see from him so far? Don't like?

Ryan Tannehill: Impressed? Opinions changed better or worse?

What other key players have you changed your stance on, better or worse, thanks to Hard Knocks?

The direction of the franchise: Better, worse, or are we just stagnant?

Has being on Hard Knocks hurt this team or helped them? What about the coaches?

Ticket sales haven't seen a real bump with the naming of Philbin as HC, Tannehill as QB and by being on Hard Knocks? Other than winning, what will it take for the fans to come back. Will winning cure all?

I will tell you who has become a superstar from this...Dan Campbell. Dude has head coach written all over him.

ToddPhin and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't have as good a feeling about Philbin after seeing him on Hard Knocks as I did before. I don't think he has the intensity a head coach needs.

Bpk likes this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    From a personality standpoint I like Ireland less. He seems very fake to me on camera. I still need to the end of the season to see how he did GM-wise.

My man crush on Philbin is stronger. He was the right man for the job. He will get us to glory.

Tannehill on HK has not changed my opinion one way or the other because the show isn't about how they play.

The show has made me respect Sherm.

I think HK was awesome on a selfish level but ultimately a mistake for the fans. We all think we know more than we actually learned from the show.

4. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    Philbin I like more, like how meticulous he is, and he has an even keeled approach which I think is important in a coach

I dont think being on Hard Knocks will really help the Dolphins with anything to be honest, but as a fan I love it, and wish they would continue through the season... but as for more ticket sales, dont see it... only thing I got out of Hard Knocks is more confidence in Philbin... and with that a brighter outlook on the future...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    this is true, Hard Knocks has caused many emotional reactions for fans
    "HOGAN SHOULD BE STARTING, OUR FO IS RETAAAARDED!!!!!11!!"
    "OMG I would so convert Les Brown to a WR, hes the next Ed McCaffery"
    "Vontae out of shape??? CUT HIS ***!!!"

6. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I think he has the intensity, but I am a little more concerned about with what he is most concerned about. ie, picking up trash on the field. ie, micro managing every detail of the players speech, looks, and mannerisms. I realize we are having to change a culture right now and are rebuilding. But like his conversation with Ireland after the Rookie Talent Show, "did they keep it clean?". Who cares...they are having fun at the facility and staying out of trouble. Don't bog yourself down with those details.

Also, I am am troubled by how uncomfortable he is at times talking to players.

Bpk likes this.
  7. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I do not agree with the premise that seeing the team on Hard Knocks gives us "a complete look inside the franchise."

Finfangirl, toto, gandalfin and 3 others like this.
  8. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    My opinion on Sherman has changed as well. What I thought he was from Green Bay is totally not what I see here in Miami. I like what I see, and yes...he does have the look and sound of a head coach.

Bpk likes this.
  9. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    You have a look that you have never had before. Sure we aren't seeing ALL the footage they have shot, but you get a pretty damn good feel for how it is being run, how players are reacting, and what direction the franchise is headed.

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border

Jeff Ireland: I actually like him more than before. Still think he is a sub-par GM. But he not the duoche I thought he was.

Joe Philbin: Very rigid, my-way-or-the-highway kind of feel to him. I have no doubt about his ability with X's and O's, I still wonder about the people side of being a HC. Too early to tell.

Ryan Tannehill: Impressed. I made no secret about my feelings about him both leading up to the draft and after we selected him. And I'm still not convinced he's the answer. But he's done much better than I thought...the not knowing teams and divisions aside.

As far as who I've changed opinion on: Reggie Bush. He is a much harder worker and leader than I ever gave him credit for.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    What about Ireland seems fake? Or is it that his personality doesn't match what you thought it would be and you therefore don't think he really is who he appears to be?

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    False premise. Hard Knocks is in no way a complete or comprehensive look into a football franchise.

13. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    This. I think you have to realize that many conclusions you're drawing from the show are bound to be on the same feet of clay as the one's you're replacing them with. You're watching something that's being filtered through a very specific lense, and that lense is looking for headlines way more than it's looking for "the truth".

shouright, Stitches and gunn34 like this.
  14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ireland - about the same. Nuff said.

Philbin - about the same I guess. My concern with him is the first concern I had watching his introductory press conference. He has a hard time focusing in the direction he's talking. Doesn't look in the cameras, doesn't look players in the eyes, etc. It's a bit awkward. Will it affect his ability to be a head coach? I'm not so sure about that... But I don't think it helps.

Tannehill - I like his confidence on HK. I like him more.

I mentioned it in a thread that was pretty much ignored, but I think Hard Knocks is going to polarize this fan base. Some fans are thinking that everything that has been shown about the Dolphins is just awesome. The reality of the situation is, there are similar situations playing out for every single NFL team. Just because ours is on TV doesn't make it any better. And just because it's on TV doesn't make it good. It's been phenomenal getting an inside look. Just hard to tell how these Dolphins will compare to anyone else.

Dan Campbell looks like a head coach and seems like a cool, likeable guy but I'm not so sure I'd say he's got head coach written all over him.

Bpk likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jeff Ireland: I think the same of him now as I did before. He has his good and he has his bad. I've always heard out of football he's a super nice guy, family man, charitable, compassionate, everything. But in football he has this switch that flips. I think we saw that switch flip on when Reggie Bush very reasonably approached Joe Philbin about having a meeting about Chad Johnson and the leadership council idea. Jeff Ireland sneered in disgust, and I don't think I'm the only one who noticed that. As for any insight into how good at his job he is, I don't think we got much. A lot of people think better of him because of how well he negotiated the trade, but honestly I always knew he was good at negotiating favorable trade terms. The man got a 5th for Ted Ginn for crying out loud. His price on the trade up for Daniel Thomas was great in terms of value off the chart. He also pulled a 2nd rounder for Jason Taylor, although there were rumors Parcells negotiated that. So that wasn't revelatory to me.

Joe Philbin: Being honest, I think a little less of him now than before. It's just a classic case of hope meets reality. He stammers, fidgets, hems and haws when he's trying to have tough conversations with players. He looks a little out of touch at times. At other times he looks a little too obsessed with unimportant details, which reminds me a bit of Tony Sparano's rainman like stranglehold on snap counts. I don't come away watching him and thinking, man that dude can coach. How realistic is it for me to end up feeling that way? Well, I think most people come away pleasantly surprised with the likes of Jim Turner, Mike Sherman and Dan Campbell, no? So would it be too much to hope for that the guy in charge of it all would give you a similar impression? No I don't think it's too much to ask. Nor do I think it's all that important that he didn't give me what I was hoping for, either.

Ryan Tannehill: Definitely an arrow-up here, from a personality standpoint. He's awful with the press, in my opinon. I mean that relatively, he's actually just very milquetoast. You end up wondering how a smart guy comes off looking like he's got no original thoughts running around in his head. But the Hard Knocks cameras were good at catching the kind of confidence he exudes everywhere that I genuinely think has affected the players around him. That's one reason it's a nice surprise that even though you've got players privately griping about what the team is doing with guys like Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis, they're not griping about Tannnehill being the QB. Heck when Big Ben was set to take over in Pittsburgh, you had the infamous "babysitting" line from Alen Faneca who clearly was NOT happy at the prospect of a rookie QB. I've just yet to hear similar sentiment. Our own poor impression of Alen Faneca (Richie Incognito) seemed happy to hear Tannehill was going to start.

Bpk likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    For me it seems like he's playing to the camera. I can't say its true and defend it, but it just appears to me he is trying to rehab his image.

jw3102 likes this.
  17. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I like him more... at least as a person. I still think he's been bad with his 2rd round picks, and my initial reaction to a few of his moves has been unfavorable. However, Hard Knocks has helped explain the moves (Vontae, Marshall, Johnson) more clearly. I'm not saying I agree with all of his moves, but I understand his part in what he and Philbin are trying to accomplish a lot better.

Philbin is a good head coach, and a solid guy. He's not perfect, but I have little doubt that he's capable of building and leading a winning team. Now, we'll see if he actually does it.

I'm very impressed. I'm convinced the Phins finally have their guy at QB. Very smart and accurate. The bad reaction to him not knowing the NFL teams/divisions was just plain stupid, IMHO. It means nothing.

I don't like Karlos Dansby now. There's a big difference between being a leader and just being a pushy loudmouth, and he doesn't understand that difference. That's especially not good for a player who plays beneath his contract.

Better. Tough to swallow now, but, I understand what they're trying to build.

I think it has both helped and hurt. I think it has made the management, the coaches, and the players much more transparent. That will help some, hurt some. Interesting, though, that Steven Ross has been absent from the program. It would be interesting to me to get a little insight into what makes him tick. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I'd at least give him a chance.

Yes. It always does.

Head coach? I'm not so convinced. I think he's a great position coach, though.

18. flounder97

flounder97 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    This type of comment baffles me. What do you want the guy to do? They have clips of him screaming (and cursing) at guys during practice. I just think he wants to remain composed as a general rule (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). There are times where you see emotion from him.

GreysonWinfield and Fin D like this.
  19. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't feel any different about Ireland as an individual, because I don't know him personally, therefore I have no way of knowing what he is like in real life. When it comes to his abilities as a GM. I think he is in over his head and that he is in the bottom tier of GM's in the NFL at this time.

My feelings concerning Philbin from the very beginning was that he was not the owners first choice for the job. He has never been a HC at any level before. I am certainly willing to give him a chance to show what type of HC he will be. Right now I have absolutely no idea if he will be a successful HC, or the Dolphins next, Cam Cameron. Because of the severe lack of talent overall on the roster, it may take a few years and a new GM to determine if Philbin will be a good HC or not.

Tannehill is starting because Garrard was injured and Moore has looked really bad during the preseason. I wasn't a fan of drafting Tannehill with the 8th overall pick in the draft, but I will admit that he has looked better at this stage of his NFL career then I thought he would. Hopefully he doesn't get injured playing behind the OL this season. I would also like to add that I would have preferred the Dolphins drafted Russell Wilson in the second round and selected another position with the 8th overall pick. I just hope Tannehill turns out to be a better NFL QB than Wilson.

I really haven't learned much from Hard Knocks. It is what it is, and that is merely a TV show that has a goal of drawing ratings.

One thing and one thing only will get fans to return to the stadium. The Dolphins have to show that they are headed in the right direction and that means they have to start winning more games than they lose. Until fans start seeing the product on the field improve, many former fans, who used to attend games will continue to stay away from the stadium on game days.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You forgot to mention Matt Barkley.

21. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Ireland
    - Liked how he negotiated. He had a price in mind for Vonte and didn't budge til he got his value
    - Still looks uncomfortable in front of the camera. That whole meeting to tell VD he was traded was painful to watch

Philbin
    - Is taking some undeserved heat in the forums for the VD trade. From my perspective he didn't push Jeff to get rid of him and wasn't informed of it until the GM told him about the offer (purely my opinion)
    - He has been called not intense enough ... but I thought he was plenty intense at practices when he was chewing a few players out

Tannehill
    - Very impressed. If receivers hadn't dropped so many passes, experts that don't really follow the team much but feel starting him is a big mistake would have changed their tune
    - Doesn't look like a rookie at all to me other than the occasional poor throw/decision

Other players
    - Feel much better about Jerry, Hogan, Trusnik, Samuda, Shelby, Spitler, Sean Smith & Thigpen
    - Disappointed in Egnew, Martin, every receiver outside of Bess, Fasano, Clay, and all the Safeties

Franchise
    - I didn't have high expectations for this season ... so I guess no change
    - For the future, I feel unsure. Have to see if Ireland/Philbins plan going forward looks like its going to work

Hard Knocks
    - I don't like it for the team even though I enjoy watching it. You can tell everyone is walking around on egg shells because they know it could show up on tape. Can't be a pleasant experience

The cure for tickets sales: Winning cures all

22. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Jeff Ireland: Same. Douche. Even douches have a good side, but it doesn't make him less of one. Hated his reaction to Reggie wanting a vet meeting. Hate his braided leather-belted khaki shorts.

Joe Philbin: Split. he waffles too much when he delivers messages. 'You know... You know... I mean, I'm not saying... Like, I mean I don;t want you to think.. You know" shrug-shrug-shrug. But I aM glad he has a clear IDEA of what he wants and he does NOT waffle on his decisions... he makes them quickly and commits to them. love that. He just waffles on communicating them strongly because I fear he cares too much about either the players liking him... or more likely, the cameras and how it appears. The dude cares about good impressions too much.

Ryan Tannehill: Relieved he has the stuff. The confidence SHOULD come, but he could go either way there depending on his early success or failure level. LOVE that guys seem lo like him! Willing to be led BY him. And that he has rhythm (can dance) and do soul-handshakes. lol. Not a boring, stiff white toast guy.

What other key players have you changed your stance on, better or worse, thanks to Hard Knocks?
    Lost some respect for Vontae, Dansby, Wake (expected to see him in the veteran leaders meeting since he is our biggest defensive star player), Steinbach (****ing cigarette comment. no wonder your body is breaking down.), Egnew (seems really emotionally frail), Kevin Coyle (looked afraid during Carolina meltdown... like a guy who was scared he had no clue whether he'd be able to solve the problems... self-doubt in my eyes), lost respect for Chad seeing the angry mean craxzy psycho he was emotionally disturbed enough to marry, Daniel Thomas... I mean really do you not give a crap because there are MILLIONS of guys who would gladly take your spot and show up fifteen minutes early for everything if you don't respect and appreciate it, Legadu Naanee (just because of games not Hard Knocks)

Love Incognito even more now. Love Turner. Love Sherman. My friends, with whom I watch, keep yelling "There is your head coach!!!" whenever Sherm talks (man, what if Sherm takes over in two years? let's not think about it for now).

LOVE Reggie Bush. The only guy who 'GETS IT'. Performs at a high level. Sets high standards for himself on and off the field. Lifting. Practising. HELPING THe ROOKIE QB and other young players! LEADING. Taking the initiative to heal a rift between the locker room and management when Dansby spoke out in the media. Busting his ***.. work ethic.. STILL working when everyone has finished and gone inside. Reggie Bush is a MAN and the most valuable player on this team.

The direction of the franchise: Worse.

Has being on Hard Knocks hurt this team or helped them? First two weeks, helped. Last two weeks, slightly hurt but not much. Overall net positive, I think.

What about the coaches? We'll see. Mixed.

Will winning cure all?
    Yes, but only if the Heat aren't winning. People don;t trust the Dolphins to keep winning and not disappoint them. If the Phins made the playoffs THREE straight years, our fansbase would fully return, as would our rep.

I will tell you who has become a superstar from this...Dan Campbell. Dude has head coach written all over him.
    Disagree. His unit is performing poorly and that's how I assess a coach.

23. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ask me again after the 16 games are played I can't make a decision from Hard Knocks and preseason.

Hope I can endure 16 games atm.

MrClean likes this.
  24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree on Ireland, I think I see a good man, who looks people in the eye, who goes out of his way to not make things awkward, and shows compassion, I see a good dad, i see someone who is comfortable in their own skin and job surprisingly enough. Looks like he's making decision long term as well.

ToddPhin, Larry Little and Jcouch1021 like this.
  25. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Totally agree and wish I didn't. Got real reservations about his personality suiting the Iron Throne.

26. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    Ireland: Slightly less. This roster is awful and he looks fairly unconcerned. To be fair, there was not much to go on there besides the Vontae conservation.
    Philbin: Eh. My opinion of him as the powerpoint-guy coach is unchanged thusfar. I just don't see it, but we haven't seen the real X's and O's stuff yet. I despise micro-managers however (tie you shoes, watch your language, etc.), and that seems more appropriate for a college coach. But he doesn't seem comfortable around the players. If I didn't know any better, I'd even say he doesn't like NFL football players.
    Tannehill: Slightly positive. Good poise, kind of dumb. But just an awful set of skill players to work with. I expect a rough season.

The positives have been Reggie Bush and Richie Incognito.

And the offensive line coach. EASILY my favorite guy.

27. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Considering that Hard Knocks has barely shown any actual coaching, I don't see how you arrived at this conclusion.

28. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I'll get back to Barkley after the season is over and the Dolphins have a top three draft pick. I would love to see Barkley battle Tannehill for the starting job in 2013 and the loser could be traded for more draft picks.

29. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

The loser could be moved to WR. :shifty:

30. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    I suspect the vast majority of people's views aren't significantly different from what they were before, and that the degree of change in people's views is inversely related to how strongly their convictions were about these issues going in.

31. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's understandable, but personally, I think there are enough coaches on the team for Philbin to not have to worry about being an intense dude. Plenty of intensity among the coaching staff all the way down to the positional coaches to worry about needing Philbin to also be that. Just my opinion.

32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Perhaps that's b/c he IS on camera. After all, it's not a hidden camera. I think the fakeness you're referring to is nothing more than not feeling completely comfortable about being on camera knowing a million people are watching him at that very moment, especially considering Autism is frequently hereditary, often from the father, so it's possible there's a little bit of Autistic spectrum influence in his personality (which isn't to be confused with Autism itself).

33. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I was pleasantly surprised about Ireland. I didn't have much of an opinion on him before but he isn't the douche many believe he is. Good at negotiating too.

Agreed with FinD on Philbin 100%. I love the guy. Yes, he can be awkward and a little anal, but the man knows what's important to building a winning culture and he's implementing it. He understands the importance of professionalism, hard work, and being good teammates. He's calm and laid back, but he can bring the fire when need be, and it's clear he's in control and has the respect of the team.

I already had a man crush on Ryan Tannehill, and it just keeps growing. It's hilarious how pissed fans were when we drafted him thinking he was going to need a few years to get on the field. Now he's the starting QB his rookie year and just keeps getting better and better. He's actually telling veterans where they need to be. Smart kid. Great arm. Athletic. Boner inducing.

As much as I've enjoyed seeing my team on Hard Knocks, the human side of it is hard to take in. I was a big fan of Vontae Davis and seeing the painful reaction in his face was heartbreaking. Same with seeing Matt Moore being told he was not starting. Les Brown and others getting cut, etc. Interesting for sure, but when you actually follow these players and root for them it hurts to watch.

34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I can now see why Parcells was high on wanting to groom Ireland into a GM. Whether or not Ireland's vision and on field product turn out to be a success is a different story, but at least I personally feel comfortable enough watching him to not question him as being some inadequate moron.

If I had to draw up a GM from scratch he's the kind of guy I'd want b/c I agree with his philosophy, his principles, how he carries himself, what qualities he looks for in players, his intelligence, professionalism, football bloodline, being groomed since a kid, been around a great championship team, intelligent, seems to put the team above himself and seems to emotionally care enough about the team to treat it as if it's his baby, doesn't seem fearfully swayed by the fans, isn't afraid to go after players he likes (will trade up for them), seems methodical & analytical, deals with his players well IMO, like how he interacts with and involves his coaches, seems confident & assertive w/o being overbearing. Seems quite humble.

I agree 100% with what Ireland's trying to accomplish with the team, the moves he's making, and the direction that he and Phibin are trying to take it, despite it involving some addition by subtraction, but whether or not he's drafting, signing, and hiring the right people to see these moves blossom into something special remains to be seen. If Ireland's bringing in the right people I could easily see his vision & philosophy winning us a SB ala the 90's Cowboys with Jimmy Johnson and their outstanding drafts..... but unfortunately a GM's philosophy & vision aren't good enough on their own merit, so if Ireland doesn't make the right coaching & draft/FA decisions, he'll be looking for another job. He could be the worst or best young GM in football, but I sincerely don't think we'll know for at least a year..... and if he does have any of his daughters' Autistic spectrum qualities to him, he could very well be the type of person capable of thinking so many more chess moves in advance ala Bobby Fisher style than many of us can comprehend, and if we can't see the same full picture/vision that he's possibly capable of, it'd be easy to criticize every move. Not saying that's what's happening, but it is possible.