1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NT Paul Soliai knows it’s now-or-never time to make his mark with the Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 6, 2010.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    NT Paul Soliai knows it’s now-or-never time to make his mark with the Dolphins

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ever-time-to-make-his-mark-with-the-dolphins/

SeanP and dolfan7171 like this.
  2. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I have, and still think Soliai has potential to be a great NT

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Didn't he say this LAST offseason?

Bpk likes this.
  5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

maybe, but didn't his game improve last season?

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yes, IMO.

Bpk likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think this is Soliai's year to step up really big

8. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    He had one excellent game against the Jets. That's when we thought that maybe this guy turned the corner.

He ended up getting injured against the Pats the next week because of poor technique and was pretty much just a body in the mix the rest of the season.

No, I did not think he improved last season. He is still very much a work in progress. This is the same talk as last year.

My problem with Soliai is his inability to take on double-teams consistently. He plays too high and gets caught.

I have lost faith in Soliai being a big name DT. I have conceded that, if anything, he is just a solid rotational guy. I do not expect anything more.....

Bpk and felly smarts like this.
  9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think what is forgotten about NT is that it takes 5-7 yrs for that skill to develop. The one exception might be Haloti Ngata, but look at Sam Adams, Keith Traylor, Fergy, Ted Washington, Tony Siragusa...all guys who were/are prototypical 3-4 NT, but none really developed until around 7 yrs into their careers or later as "elite" Ntackles. Soliai needs more time to develop. He was a 4th round pick and has stuck this long, so they must think he has something. I also felt he was ready to turn it on last season and he played much more consistently last year than in previous years.

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I don't remember how he got hurt. How did his technique lead to his injury?

11. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    He was one-on-one with the G or C early in the game and played high and soft on one particular play. He ended up basically getting his feet stuck while being too high and was roughed up, getting driven backwards into the ground, leading to his ankle injury.

We really needed the guy because of Ferg's injury, and his poor technique (if I am not mistaken) led to his missing a couple of games.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Eh, I did not see it. But I mean, he might have. It just not did not look like he did much more than being a rotational/situational player.

I am not going to pretend to know how long it takes to become a good DT in the league. All I know is, I do not see Soliai being one. Hell, he might. I just do not see it.

He obviously has something because he's still here. I just do not know what that something is.....

Bpk likes this.
  13. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It was his great technique at the dinner table that got him suspended, or if you prefer, simply not being a good pro yet. He actually played better than he had been after Fergy went down. At first, they moved Starks in there for a game or so, but when he was gone for the season, Soliai had the first rotation at NT and actually held his own. He was not a Fergy, for sure, but he was better last season than he's been, or at least more consistent. His flaws are two-fold. First is maturity as NT, that only time can heal, second is maturity as a pro. That only he can control. The article basis is right, it's time for him to show up as a pro. That's what's missing moreso than the level of play, at this point. If you watched his film, he fills the two gaps pretty well, doesn't get pushed around although he doesn't quite get the push upfield as you'd want from the NT consistently. That is technique and what takes a little time to develop at the position. He may never be mentioned in the same breaths as guys like Sam Adams, Siragusa, Washington or even Fergy and Traylor, but it just may be that he needs more time as those guys did...they all developed 7-8 yrs into their careers as true 3-4 NTs....

14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Parcells, Ireland and Sparano must see something in Solaii because NT hasn't been addressed even though it is an obvious need and a high priority position. Maybe they feel Solaii is a work in progress and is slowly developing? It will be interesting to see how Solaii and Starks are used until Ferguson comes back.