1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Numbers game: what stats matter?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by anlgp, Mar 20, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80358f1f&template=without-video&confirm=true

UCF FINatic and rafael like this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I thought it was interesting that they said that sacks didn't have a very high correlation to winning.

3. anlgp

I think that's what they mean by "big or explosive plays". I know they go on to mention the offensive side of the ball but surely that carries over onto defense as well.

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Statistically speaking you can only look at a game from one point of view. You cannot give credit for offence and also give credit to the defense... It seems like this acticle was written from the offence's point of view which credits the offence for everything, and neglecting the defense.

I am sure if you looked at the game from the defenses point of view sacks would appear to have a bigger effect on the game.

Also, lets face in Football is a numbers game. When the defence gets a sack, it greatly increases the chance of the other team having to punt on 4th down. Does that necessarily lead to points? No, it depends on what the offense does.

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Nope. It was blurb on the right side of the page.

» Sacks:
    This one is a bit of a surprise. San Francisco's Mike Nolan, a defensive coach by trade, thinks the statistic of sacks is "very overrated." Nolan cites the 2000 Ravens, whose 35 sacks ranked them only 22nd in the league.

"If you're just beating the hell out of quarterbacks, it's a great stat to have," Nolan said. "But I know they have not transferred into wins for as much attention as they get."

And winning, after all, is the most important statistic of all.

anlgp likes this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    When Dungy was talking about YPA he mentioned the following:

Indianapolis gave up more than 185 yards rushing in four of its first seven games in 2006. But the Colts won all four. One reason? Their average gain per pass was more than a yard better than the opponents in those four games, nearly two yards better than their opponents over the course of the season.

So at least in reference to that stat it's not one sided.

7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    You are still comparing Offense to Offensse. That is what I mean by one sided... It only accounts for one side of the ball.

Basically in statistics you have to attribute something to something else. In the article they are attributing all the statistics to the Offense.

For Example, lets say an offensive team runs the ball for 4 yards. You can say the Offense gained 4 yards (attributing the play to the offense) or you can say the Defense allowed 4 yards (attributing the play to the defense). What you can not do is attribute the stat to both sides of the ball. You have to give either the Offense or the Defense all the credit for the one play, unless you spilt it which creates very, very complicated statistics. So all I am am saying is that the article attriubuted all the stats to the Offense while totally neglecting the defense.

A similar arguement is discussed in the book Moneyball about if a hit is pure chance, luck or the hitter or fielders fault. If the field lines up where the ball is hit you can credit him, or say the hitter made a bad hit because he hit it directly to him. Or you can say the hit and where the fielder is completely predicated on chance. I hope I explained this well enough; its pretty confusing until you totally grasp the concept. If you need more clarification I can try my best to help you see what I mean.

8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Also for people that like statistics, I read something a while ago that address the common misconception that "if you run the ball your going to win." Or "whoever runs the ball more wins." Etc.

What scientists found was that Running might not be the cause of winning, but winning might be the cause of running. For instance, when you have the lead on a team you are far more likely to run the ball to kill the clock. Also when you are getting destroyed by another team you are more likely to pass the ball in an attempt to comeback.

In hindsight this could seem common knowledge, but I just thought I would share it with all of you.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I understand your point of view but I look at YPA as how much we gain (offense) and how much we allow (defense). So if I want to increase my YPA differential I will consider whether improving my passing attack or my pass defense will yield greater dividends. I don't really consider the opponents offense much since I have little influence on their personnel.

10. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Good point. So you think we are going CB in round 1 too?:up:

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    No, I don't. I think the rules make it so that CBs don't have as much of an affect in stopping the other team's passing attack as pressure players do. CBs have just been devalued as an impact position. I also really like Nicks who I think can be a special player who will greatly affect the offensive side of of the YPA equation.

12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Its funny about the YPA because I read some sports betting book a while ago and it was about some guy that would beat the Vegas odds consistantly. Apparently, the Super Computers Vegas and other sharp-betters use GREATLY weight the Yards After Catch or Yards Per Reception stats. So if its that important to some of the best computers in predicting final score outcomes it should be just as important to our Front Office as well.

I love Nicks too, but have a feeling we are going to chance it and hope he is there at #44 or later. If I had to bet money now I say we are going either CB or LB in round one. I saw that because of the number of players we have brought in at those positions to work out privately and we even brought some players back twice.

13. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Wins and loses!!! Followed by points scored per game and points allowed. The rest are really individual statistics and you know the old saying....There's no I in team.

14. anlgp

There is a 'm' and an 'e' though.

2socks likes this.
  15. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    True

Hey where is Briere. I am a huge Sabres fan, just curious!! Looks like we are going to on the out looking in this year

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I've heard we've had interviews, some multiple with Nicks, Harvin, Bey and Britt as well. So I don't see why it would be reasonable to assume that we're not considering a WR in the 1st.

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If you read the article then it's clear that most coaches aren't that simplistic. They realize that doing certain things well is more likely to lead to wins and losses than doing other things.

2socks likes this.
  18. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    there are absolutely certain things that a team must do that is more likely to lead to a win and one that immediately comes to mind is running the football/taking large amounts of clock away. Theory being other team doesn't have the ball or the time to score.....well....you get my point. Causing disruption in the timing of pass plays, understanding almost every play has some sort of timing sequence to it.....nice to be able to line up a guy like Joey porter and say "Go get em". Of course it's easy for me to sit here and type these things to you.....accomplishing them............well sometimes is a little more difficult!!!!

19. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I didn't know he was hurt. You got a good one there. We have not been the same since loosing him and Drury!!!!!

20. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Go read the 8th post in this thread. Running the ball to control the clock and win the game is a common misconception among stat junkies.

2socks likes this.
  21. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    We are considering a WR don't get me wrong; I am just saying I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that we won't go WR in round 1. I say that because I think we are going to do what we did with Henne last year; everyone knows we want a WR, but we will wait for pick #44 to see if Britt or Nicks will be there. I would also say that barring any crazy events Britt or Nicks will be there at #44; you have Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Heyward-Bey (Who I am not high on) all before Britt and Nicks. So for us not to be able to get at least on of those WR's 6 of 43 picks would have to be WR's (about 14%).

Here is something interesting as well. Here is a list of players that have visited us. It was done about 5 days ago so somethings could have changed... Thanks Boomer!!!
    Based on the talent and number of people we brought in we are definately looking LB or CB in round 1, in my book.

22. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I am first of all not a stat junkie. Second I stated, that there were certain things that a team does that contributes to winning and one of them is running the ball. Accurately stated, is your statement that running the football is a result of winning. Teams do run the football because they want to eat up clock. Teams also run the ball to set up passing plays. Until you are winning, those runs are necessary to contributing to a win....so it goes both ways and is a matter of opinion ...which i respect yours. Hopefully you can respect mine and see the other side of that coin

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Did you actually read the article? Dungy specifically talked about how his team was getting out rushed the first four weeks by huge amounts but was winning b/c his YPA was almost two yards better than their opponents.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    How does that list make any definite? It showed visits with 2 1st rd WR (and we also apparently spoke with Bey so that's 3), 4 visits with 1st rd OLBs, and 2 visits with 1st rd CBs. Concluding that it will be a LB or CB is based on your own perception, not that list.