1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oblivion Character Rolling...

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by anlgp, Mar 24, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'm going to be able to play this soon and I'm thinking about character creation right now and would like some assistance. I'm not usually a magic character so those are kind of out. I'm reading this exhaustive wiki on oblivion and have narrowed down the Race, etc. I'm leaning towards a rogue/theif/assassin/archer-like character; but this is going to be my first time really playing the game (I have played morrowind before so I know the deal) so any pointers to roll the best of those chars would be great. thanks.

Race

Khajiit
    Argonian
    Bosmer
    Orc/Redguard (if I go combat)

Class

Now I know you can roll your own so if you guys can help me become a better overall character of the ones I listed in bold above that'd be great but so far I've got either:

Archer
    Assassin
    Pilgrim
    Rogue
    Scout
    Theif

Birthsign

based upon this wiki http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Birthsigns I like this:

Because Luck affects all skills, the 10 point boost in luck is handy. It equates to a 4 point boost in all of your skills as far as effects (but not perks) are concerned. If you customize a class to have Luck as a class ability and combine that with this birthsign, you start the game with every skill having an effective boost of +6. See the Efficient Leveling +5/+5/+5 vs +5/+5/+1 information in the character building tips for more on this.

Thoughts?

2. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i created my own class. Called it Mor. My guys name was Mor. So Mor played a Mor Mor. Woot!

sking29 likes this.
  3. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Please no Mor!!!:lol:

4. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    don't do stuff with bow and arrow (marksman, archer, etc.) it's really annoying in-game and i find it quite hard to effectively kill enemies via arrows.

also, you want to pick your main attributes (the ones that will allow you to level up) to be ones that you'll use often and are easy to use, this way you can level up quickly if you want. (these could be things like blade/blunt, block, light/heavy armor). The things that are really hard to level up quickly just keep as your minor attributes, and upon leveling up just pay for lessons. (I did this for Restoration, because its a pain in the arse to keep healing yourself).

As far as classes, pick one with a base resistance most likely, because you can level up everything else in the game but not your own resistances (unless you have enchanted stuff).

regardless of your race/skills, its pretty easy to steal things, you just can't be stupid about it. and you don't use sneak nearly as often as you'd think, because unless you have it at like 90+, people are going to see you. You can just make sure you can use some sort of invisibility or chameleon spell and sneak becomes unnecessary altogether.

k thats all my off the top of my head advice

Get Up And Go and anlgp like this.
  5. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    and yes I think Thief birthsign is a good one. as it says, Luck is really hard to level up (each level you only get to increase it by 1). I'm at a high level and still haven't increased luck by 10, so that would be very helpful. I took the Mage birthsign not knowing that the fortify 50 magicka would be all but useless :(

anlgp likes this.
  6. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I couldn't disagree more. I love my Agent archer, and there's nothing like the thrill of a one-shot stealth kill. You can even go sniper-style once you hit Journeyman by using the block control to zoom in on your target.

As for class, I found it most rewarding to just play the tutorial by instinct and accept the class the guard "thinks" you are. But it's up to you.

anlgp likes this.