1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Play Call by New England in the 4th Quarter...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, Dec 10, 2009.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Us fans and the media have been questioning Belichick's decision to go for it on 4th down during the first half, but I noticed another questionable New England play call that I haven't seen discussed yet (unless I missed it).

I remember it surprised me while watching the game live, and I noticed it again watching the replay last night. At about the 8:20 mark in the 4th quarter New England had it 3rd and 6. New England ran the ball straight ahead for little or no gain. I know the defense had tightened up considerably during the 4th quarter but Brady was still having success moving the ball against us through the air.

My question is:

• Did Brady see something in our defense that made him think they could pick up the first down by running?
    • Did Belechick call the play to try and catch us off guard?
    • Was it a lack of respect for our offense and just an effort to chew some clock? This one I doubt the most simply because of how much they threw it on other drives.

Either way I was shocked / pleasantly surprised that New England chose to run the ball on that down, as I figured their odds throwing would have been much better. But I couldn't shake the feeling that we were getting off easy due to a poor play call. In my opinion, the decision to run on 3rd and 6 was even more head scratching than going for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone, but maybe not talked about as much as it wasn't directly sacraficing points on the board.

Any other thoughts?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

yeah i think on obvious passing downs like 3rd and 6 sometimes you call a run play and it catches the D off guard for a big gain. i think that's what they were hoping for, but i have heard if you are having success with a particular facet of your game to stick to it (ie. if passing is working keep passing)

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Probably trying to catch us off guard, and -had the play worked- kept the Miami defense on their heels through that series.

Normally, when you run on a 3rd and 5-6 situation it is because you're probably going to play 4 down football. Though IIRC, they didn't go for it on 4th down. it was weird.

Btw, did you watch the game on the NFL Network Rewind or somewhere else? Because if it's online somewhere I'd really like to get a hold of it.

4. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Wouldn't doubt that it was to catch us off guard. Morris was hitting us pretty good on some of those run plays. Wasn't really a bad play call IMO considering what we were giving up.

5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They ran the same play on the first drive of the game for about 9 yards and picked up the first on 3rd an 8 IIRC. As stated, they were trying to catch us off guard. I have never seen New England try to run out the clock with that much time in the 4th, so they were just trying to get cute.

Also remember that while New England had great success throwing the ball in the 1st half, they were horrid in the 4th quarter.

dolfan7171 and unluckyluciano like this.
  6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    thats what i was thinking.

7. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I watched the replay on NFL network last night. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a version you could get online.

In regards to the play call, I agree with most of you who are saying they were trying to catch us off guard, but IMO, given our tough run D and being 3rd and 6 as opposed to 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 3, it was a risky, and ill-advised play call that I'm glad they made. I'm also glad our defense wasn't caught off guard.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree, that was clearly part of their game plan coming in. And it didn't just work in the first half. It has worked against us in many games this year. It may not have been the best call but it wasn't a bad one either.

9. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I guess statistically speaking a 6 yard run or longer has a better chance on third down as defenses typically aren't expecting it. Still, because of New England's lack of a power running game and their potent passing game, I was surprised by the call.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I remember thinking during the game that I was glad they ran it b/c I liked our chances against a run better in that situation. But I think their reasoning was solid enough even if it wasn't what I would have done.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    maybe billycheck didn't want to win and gave us the game
    kidding but it did look that way at times

12. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    Gotta remember too that they probably felt that they would shut us down should they not get a 1st down and get the ball back soon enough. And with good field position.

13. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I also found it strange that Brady kept taking shots down the field on 3rd and short. I understand wanting to go for the throat but converting on those downs would have accomplished the same thing, just more slowly.

14. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I believe they also scored a TD on a 3rd down run. I think they were trying to take advantage of our nickle defense being on the field by running the ball. If you notice, on those running plays the Fins had either Starks of McDaniel playing interior DL.