1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off-Season Rant

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinsPhan23, Dec 8, 2010.

1. PhinsPhan23

PhinsPhan23 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on my preference going into 2011. I know we are still playing games and not mathmatically eliminated, but for those of you who still enjoy discussing next year considering our chances are slim for this year, please share you input. For those that aren't ready to look into the off-season and 2011, stop reading now.

I honestly think we take one of two roads in the off-season and either one leads us down a path with the potential for a new QB.

Road 1:
    Sign McNabb when he is cut. Have him be a 2 year stop gap and if a QB falls to us with our 1st round pick that we like, take him. If not, wait until the 2012 draft and go get one then. Do whatever you can to get a 4th or 5th rounder for Henne.

Road 2:
    Keep Henne and do whatever you have to do to get the QB you want in the 1st round. If it means going to get Mallett and giving up a 1st the next year, so be it. If it means waiting on Locker or Newton b/c you believe in both of those guys, wait it out.

So, you go into 2011 with either McNabb and a rookie (or McNabb and another veteran back-up) OR Henne and a rookie 1st round pick.

Other changes:
    Crowder - Hope to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him or just cut him)
    Ronnie - Do not re-sign (love him but he is just not worth the money he will want)
    Vernon Carey - May you get a 4th or 5th rounder or just cut him
    Ricky - Hope he will re-sign another 1 yr deal

Sign Logan Mankins and another serviceable RT in FA. This is a huge upgrade on the interior of the line and you can then have Jerry compete with your FA RT for that spot (if Jerry is capable of playing RT).

Draft -
    If you get a QB in the 1st, look to add a speedy RB (who can catch the ball out of the backfield and maybe can be productive in the return game) and another TE in the 3rd and 4th. Hope like you hell you can add some picks for the guys I suggested letting go and add some youth to the OLine and maybe another LATE round QB. Get a coordinator in here to run more of a spread offense and get Marshall, Hartline, Bess, and one of Wallace or Moore on the field as much as possible (to go with Fasano and maybe your 3rd or 4th round TE)

If you don't get a QB in the 1st, maybe add a Tackle with the 1st rounder or if one of those two RB's fall to you, go get them. 3rd and 4th go RB (if you don't get one in the 1st), TE, and Tackle (if you get a RB). You would need to either keep Henne or get another veteran QB if you don't get a QB in the 1st.

You notice I'm not really touching the defense. Think about it for a second. Even with letting Crowder go, this would be the lineup for next year. Anyone real concerned with upgrading a defense that looks like this (especially when our offense has been so bad this year).

DE - Starks, Langford, Odrick, McDaniel (would need to re-sign), Merling (if you have to let McDaniel go, that's fine, but he has actually played very well this year).
    DT - Soliai (& Starks/Odrick when in the Nickel) would be smart to spend a late rounder on a big body here.

OLB - Wake, Misi, scrubs we have as well Moses, Alama Francis - I know this is one need spot in FA or draft so maybe this could be another piece addressed in FA.
    ILB - Dansby, Dobbins, Edds, Spitler - I believe we are fine here. Have Dobbins in on run downs, Edds in on passing situations

CB - Davis, Smith, Sapp, Carroll, re-sign Harris for 1 year for depth
    FS - Clemons, Culver or late round draft pick
    SS - Bell, Jones

This is not a Pittsburgh or Baltimore defense, but it's good enough to keep us in games and if we can add explosion to our offense via a new coordinator and potentially a new QB, that could put this team balanced enough to fight for the playoffs next year. We are only a few steps guys, let's hope we can get it done in the off-season.

MonstBlitz and GARDENHEAD like this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    McNabb, really?

I'm not suggesting Henne is great, but he's playing just as good as McNabb and at least has some upside and knowledge/chemistry with the team.

Moves and GMJohnson like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Freind PhinsPhan23:
    you're thinking in the right direction
    a radical change is @ hand
    what it will be is the only question to be answered

4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Didnt McNabb just sign an extension...why would they cut him?

So lets look at your point for a few minutes ok.....

Trading up to get a QB in the first round. The only one worth shelling out the dough to do that...is Luck. And if we can all agree that a franchise QB is as important as it is....why would any team in position to draft Luck....trade? Doesnt make any sense...

We have no idea what the status on Ronnie Brown is or will be. If we dont re sign him.....a running back we will need. We need Offensive Line help....we have two great tackles....our interior needs help. We need outside speed....this draft is laden in WR talent.....

Certainly we should look at a QB later in the draft.....also give some time to the young Brandstater....he's got talent...but needs developmental time.

What to many people want...is the kid who shows he has it all...in two seasons. Your holding out for a rare hope. Mark Sanchez....he look like a franchise QB? Joe Flacco? What did Matt Ryan look like last season.....

GMJohnson likes this.
  5. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Now that Haynesworth is gone, the attention of the DC media is squarely focused on McNub as they're calling him. They went through a list of the QBs he's mired with at the bottom of the league and the palpable disgust when they mentioned Henne and Sanchez as being ahead of him made me laugh.

6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I really like the idea of drafting a QB with the #1 pick and keeping Henne. Let Henne play one more year while the new kid sits on the bench. San Diego did this when they drafted Philip Rivers. They thought Brees was a bust so they drafted Rivers, but they let Brees play during Rivers's rookie year.

Now, I'm not saying Henne is going to end up as good as Brees, but it is an interesting model to follow. Henne never "earned" his starting job. Heck, he started as a Freshman at Michigan. Might light a fire under his ***.

7. PhinsPhan23

PhinsPhan23 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    The redskins have 0 talent on offense minus cooley. Not to mention their line is a mess. mcnabb can be a fine stopgap.

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    McNabb is washed up.
    Absolutely no thanks.

djphinfan and Stitches like this.
  9. PhinsPhan23

PhinsPhan23 New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    there is no way we are getting luck, I understand that. Carey is not the same this yr, time to move him while he still has value. Ronnie is not worth the money it will take to sign him. A team will pay him, count on it. I'm sick of drafting midling qbs in the 2nd and 3rd. It's time to take a shot on a mallet, newton, or locker and if you have to move up to get the one u want, tu do it. Not sure what games you are watching but flacco and Ryan appear to be franchise qbs and I never believed sanchez would turn into a franchise qb.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Some people might think Cam Newton is worth trading up for as well, though I do like Luck more.

11. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Interesting ideas, but this aint Madden 11. You can't just go trading all willy nilly. McNabb just signed for 5 yrs 80+ million. The Redskins would have to eat his signing bonus as a cap hit next year if they trade/cut him, and they already have to eat Haynesworth's signing bonus b/c I'm pretty sure he's being traded/released. I don't think they'll be keen on eating 40+ million in dead space on their cap and I don't think anyone wants to pay McNabb that insane amount of money when he's clearly a shell of what he was. Philly got rid of him, if Washington does the same then I think its fair to assume he's no longer a good player. I'd rather take a chance on Henne improving (salary less than 1million) than paying all that dough for a washed up has-been. Same deal with Carey. He's got a fat contract that no sane NFL team is willing to have dumped on them. Ditto for Crowder, though CC is in the last year of his deal.

I wish we could forever put to bed this notion that you ca just select a QB and he's going to magically become a Pro-Bowler. For every Matt Ryan there's a David Carr, Tim Couch, Kyle Boller. For every Flacco there's an Alex Smith, JP Losman, Trent Edwards. For every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Brady Quinn. It's a crap shoot. No one knows who's going to be the next franchise QB and guessing wrong sets your franchise back several years. I don't understand why we're in such a rush to throw the baby out with the bath water, maybe it's just wanting the excitement of being able to have sex again.

djphinfan likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Some decent thoughts here except for McNabb, IMHO. I'm more on board with whoever suggested trying to get Orton as a stopgap in a different thread.

And I think you forgot the most needed off season change, unless I missed it -

FIRE HENNING.

13. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I highly doubt the Broncos would trade Orton. Certainly not for a 3rd.

14. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    McNabb also has Anthony Armstrong who is good and upcoming and Santana Moss. He lacks a run game just like Miami. That being said I live outside of Philly and get every Eagles game and I do not want Mcnabb in Miami. He is washed up and Henne is MUCH better.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think everything starts at the QB position...Conviction is the key word in play.. why?, because there was none of that when it came to drafting Chad Henne..If there is some about Mallet, Locker or Newton, and a love for the skillset evolves, then secure the player in the first.

schmolioot likes this.
  16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think the lack of conviction has been in the development phase. Henning is certainly not interested in bringing along a young QB. We haven't made fielding an elite offense a priority. Besides Jake Long, our highest draft pick on offense is Pat White. Our priority to this point has been OL and defense. The defense is now set, the OL is decent. Time to invest offense now. A strong OC, some play makers outside, a homerun hitter in the backfield. Mallett, Locker and Newton are sexy names, but I want to see the the turn and the river we fold our current hand.

17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    McNabb has EXACTLY AS MANY INTs and TDs as Henne...... only with a lower QB rating.

The resources needs to be spent on actually balancing out our offense and addressing the deficiencies that our skill players offer as a whole. PERIOD.

18. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Please,no more old broken down QBs.Remember TRent Green?Daunte Culpepper?Even Pennington.I'll take our chances with someone else.

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    McNabb just signed a big extension in Washington a few years ago, he wont be cut.