1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offensive line in 2011

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, May 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    what will our offensive line look like in 2011? who will likely win the start? these may be the two most important questions to be answered in the up-coming season.

offensive linesmen:

Mike Pouncey 6-5 310
    Matt Kopa 6-6 303
    Joe Berger 6-5 315
    Richie Incognito 6-3 324
    Ray Feinga 6-4 337
    John Jerry 6-5 328
    Eric Ghiaciuc 6-3 303
    Lyndon Murtha 6-7 315
    Jake Long 6-7 323
    Pat McQuistan 6-6 319
    Nate Garner 6-7 325
    Vernon Carey 6-5 340

the start?

Long- Garner- Pouncey- Incognito- Carey

(Lyndon Murtha @ Right Tackle, if Long goes down Carey goes left, John Jerry @ Right Guard with Incognito moving across the interior line according to need)

the good: they are huge (size & strength) & three of them are first round picks. Sparano played & coached offensive line.

the bad: an abbreviated training camp may impact their develop negatively. they need time & practice to become a functioning unit.

what will our offensive line look like in 2011? who will likely start & at what position?

what do you think?

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think the offensive line has the makings of a potentially NFL elite unit & could provide the base to launch our offense into a successful 2011 season. it all begins in the trenches.

3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Rio, as per usual, I agree with your sentiments about our offensive line. I agree that Pouncey will play Center. However, my money's on Jerry beating out Garner.

I also wouldn't be shocked if we signed a "name" FA guard, whenever free agency begins. These guys are constant tinkerers with the o-line.

4. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    I'm hopinh for...
    Long
    Garner
    Pouncey
    Jerry
    Carey

or

Long
    Pouncey
    Incognito
    Jerry
    Carey

5. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    We need to have a center who can do shotgun snaps. At this point Pouncey can't, from what I have read.

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think we'll go into camp w/ Long-LG-Pouncey-Incognito-Carey. I'm hoping Jerry can handle LG, we tried him there last season in TC but he wasn't ready. JJ moves better than Incognito, who's best suited at RG. If not Jerry then Garner, if he's healthy. Signing a FA would be overkill, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went that route.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Miss the old days of "the Orca-5 will eat opponents alive" 23.

Eh, I like Rey Feinga, to me he and Richie I and Big Jake would bring an awful lot of toughness to the unit.

8. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    Not sure Jerry is fleet of foot enough to be LG for us ... but we could just bag that and go with the Orca version.

i too believe Garner (assumed healthy) will win the 'other' G position.

if Long goes down and Carey has to slide over ... yeow == VERY BAD ..... he will get speed rushed to death.

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think they're going to probably get a mid-level guard with better mobility than the guys they have now. Between the amount of outside zone plays and specifically in terms of the left guard pulling plays, there isn't really anyone on the roster with that kind of mobility. John Jerry has good mobility for a guy his size, but I don't know if it is enough to consistently hit on longer pulls.

I think it's realistically be a long the lines of them signing someone like Kyle Kosier or Mike Brisiel, and then the best of Jerry/Berger/Incognito/Garner getting the RG spot, and the rest moving to backups.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Carey has played LT for an entire season and gave up 4 sacks, so I'm not entirely sure what your fear is here.

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    a couple of things:
    1) Pouncey can pull @ Center. he did it throughout his career @ Florida. its a football rarity but if you need an offensive lineman to pull & the Left Guard isn't quick enough & the Center is capable of making the pull, then the Guard slides to the right & lets the Center pull from the middle.
    2) left guard appears to be the contested start. I like Garner but J.J. may be the faster & more athletic of the two. let them compete. might see an entirely different John Jerry with a year's experience behind him & a competent offensive line @ his side.
    3) really do miss the Orcas, maybe they've found their way home. time for another Pod to emerge.
    4) it all begins in the trenches. the offensive line has to get the push & these guys appear to be potentially serious pushers. dominate the trench & the run opens. with a viable run game, the passing game takes off, etc.

I hope Pouncey finally got his playbook :yes: lots to learn in what might be an abbreviated season.

GMJohnson and padre31 like this.