1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive Line: One Trick Pony?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Decided to post this after reading tweet from Mike Berardino that even Austin friggin' Spitler had a sack today. The kid loses 15 lbs. from being sick and still our O-line can't stop him. He's just the hair that broke the camel's back after that 10 sack performance in 30 play scrimmage the other day. I know we're supposed to "feed the wolf". It just seems our O-line is getting fed to them right now.

BTW-they suck!

the 23rd likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Would rather all this happen in the pre-season then in the regular season/playoffs/super bowl

3. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, I guess I'm just frustrated by trying to decipher the tweets. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see how they respond against Tampa.

4. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

The Defensive line has total advantage in training camps.

5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I do get the feeling of alot of mixed messages/meanings right now. You hear about a sub par player, beating a starter on a drill. Automatically you think, wow! this guy is having a great TC! Then there's the flipside... oh... but that means our starter must be struggling if that guy beat him. :lol:

I can't wait for Saturday when we get to see these guys in action, against another team. We're going to learn alot about alot of these players then.

HULKFish and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Too early to think the sky is falling IMO. Coach is moving guys in and out, evaluating different groups. I don't look for anything to really change in the first preseason game as they will be getting a feel for being in a game. Still taking looks at different personnel. I think they will be fine. Sparano is not worried about achievement as a group really yet. If the line is not solidified and is playing poorly by the third preseason game then we should have concerns.

7. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    The interior of the offensive line was going to be in flux. Smiley was traded, Grove injured, and Thomas didn't really live up to fan hype. It seems like the coaching staff is almost determined to forge two complete starting units of offensive linemen.

With all the changes, there's bound to be miscommunication that leads to sacks and negative plays. It takes time for an offensive line to gel. Give them a chance to iron out the kinks before we start hitting the panic button.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    A lot of pass blocking is communication. The unfortunate part about the line is that it is in its third year and 3/5ths of the line might be replaced.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Defense is just that good pandarilla, at least it is right now.

When a D blitzes from all angles, with anyone liable to blitz, the Oline is sort of outmanned to begin with, Sparano is really pushing those guys.

10. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    I suspect it's probably that Nolan's scheme is superior in nature to the OL scheme, right from inception.

The OL will catch up. Hopefully.

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

If there's a definition for overreaction, this thread has refined it.

12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Nolans pissing our offensive line off so that when they get into a real game they crush the guys that try to get near Henne.

13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Individual camp reports are just that, individual reports. They're notable in the context of chronicling what happens that particular day in camp, and absolutely terrible for trying to piece together an overall picture of where the team is at. Especially considering how early in August it is.

Worry if we go 0-2 again in the regular season.

PSG likes this.
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Tis' true. It the season were a movie, we'd be at the part where they tell everyone to silence their cell phones. Relax people.

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah thats the key by the second preseason game we should be shpowing some improvement and by the 3rd preseason game we better be 75% of the way to where we have to be. Too early to panic yet. Its all about experimenting right now with different pairings

16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    The first two preseason games will be frustrating to just hang in there.

17. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey, Marcus Stroud and John Henderson are no longer on the Jags. NOTHING was more frustrating then watching our offense line try to block those two in the opening series. When they knew they only had to play 8 plays or so, those guys played their hearts out. By far the most frustrating football memory I will ever have.

18. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    All I'm sayin' is that the golf cart needs to be parked by the O-line for a while.

HULKFish likes this.
  19. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They'll settle down once Sparano stops playing mad scientist with the lineup.

Constantly rotating guards and centers and moving guys from position to position does little for line cohesion and consistency.

20. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    it's the "straw" that broke the camels back not hair. That being said...you are wrong

Pandarilla likes this.
  21. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Think of it this way Panda, Nolan's blitzing scheme will only help our offensive line prepare for teams like Jets this year. No problem putting up with struggles now if it tranlates to increased odds of beating those SOBs.

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! OMG WTF are we gonna do? Does staples sell a version of the "Easy Button" that says "Panic Button"? Way to soon to be pressing it.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    not to worry:
    got the talent & coaching
    the Orca will step up game time
    would not be surprised to see
    a modified platoon system in the making

24. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Exactly... If we here the same BS the first week of September, then I'll be worried! Actually if they don't have a good showing in that game 3 of the preseason, then I'll worry. Let us put this in perspective though, we're barely over a week into this thing!

25. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    :pity:

26. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    We have always heard about how important it is for the OL to gell.

That takes time .Right now we are trying to find out who should start and who should backup at what position.

By the third preseason game we should know.

27. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to play both sides for now

28. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Pffft! Can't believe i didn't catch that...Thanks

29. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You weren't the only one, Panda...had to go back and read your post again....I just read 'back' and not hair...

At any rate, I agree with most, that at this point in TC it's way to early to be panicking about any position. In fact, thinking that Wake is suddenly the LB we need him to be is just as silly as thinking that the OL is in shambles because of the number of sacks allowed so far. On the flip side, if the D is this far ahead of itself this soon, there has to be excitement about how good they can be going forward. We've all seen things not turn out the way they seem 12 days into TC, though...

30. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, I know, I just had a really frustrating day at home and when I read about Spitler getting a sack I just snapped. What's worse is that I won't be able to watch the game Saturday due to work. So I'll still be in the dark, but I trust everyone here will shoot me straight (probably not the best choice of words)...

BTW-I think using the word hair was a Freudian slip as in I'm losing mine...Hahaha

31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the Pod is progressing @ a phenomenal rate
    can't wait to game time & blood in the water

32. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I think this is exactly what is happening. Guys are getting shuffled in and out constantly. Kind of har to get in a groove.
    Hopefully all this tomfoolery will result in the best 5 linemen playing when things start for real Sept. 12.

33. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    & that may be the best thing that could be happening in training camp today
    competition is the elixir of success

34. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    On the plus side, you know Cobrajet is feeling much better about our D-line after his brief episode. I hope my little tirade turns out the same way...

35. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

This is the thing. They do not always practice in full pads during training camp and sometimes they wear only light shoulder pads. The defense has total the total advantage to TEE off on them so I would not read too much into these reporters saying the Oline is sucking ...

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    :omg:

chill dude