1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Offensive-minded' defense to be focus of younger, more athletic Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 17, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    "I was sitting with the linebackers durng OTAs," Wake said, "and I looked around and thought to myself, 'Everybody in here is 250 (pounds) and can run!'

That, after all, was the initial blueprint set forth by Dolphins czar Bill Parcells, who'll embark on his third season as franchise architect.

Wake said the difference is what new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan introduced as an "offensive-minded" defense.

"You can't imagine how much we loved hearing that," Wake said. "It's one thing to have a defense with a goal of making stops, but it's another thing to have a defense with a goal of making big plays that change a game."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...o-be-focus-of-808798.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The whole were gonna be a offensive minded defense is played out, I believe it when I see it.

I get Wake's excitement, last year he had to watch four guys at his position, get more playing time as him, and all four were, and are, lacking in the athleticism dept.

Wake getting the playing time he got was as ridiculous as it gets when it comes to playing time decisions.

Lets hope this coach isn't all talk...

3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Let Nolan's past results speak for itself.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Wake saying what he said is what I took away from that article, the Athleticism has increased measurably, now whether or not they can play NFL Starting Caliber football remains to be seen.

I'd love to hear from ST Coach Bonamego on the rebuilt unit, RGM, Sheets, etc as I'm not worried about Nolan's D, I am worried about the ST and Henne and Health.

5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm pretty amped to see Wake play full time.

Man, if our D steps up this year, this will be the most complete team we've had in decades (pause)...That was kinda trippy (and depressing) for me to contemplate but true. It's always been like Chris Tucker in Friday "Damnnnn! ya'll ain't never have two things that match. You got kool aid no sugar, peanut butter no jelly, ham no burger!"

6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Real, overall linebacker play, we have that now athletically, with Misi, Wake, Edds, and Dobbins, last year the starting 4 were all one dimensional players. I think were gonna see a big difference in the defensive execution dept, just for the simple fact that iam confident these guys will be able to cover their responsibilities, and play in space, so much better...

are you worried that Henne's inability to feel backside pressure is gonna affect his career?. His mind has been trained, His work ethic has gotten his body right, and the talent is evident..I see him improving. and I don't have him on my worry list. Special teams? returner, yes.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    All true, but do they go around the world to make the play, or do they not waste steps to make the play? That is the benefit of Experience Deej.

Not really, as I've said he reminds me of Jim Kelly an awful lot, maybe a better release than JK, but just a tough guy Qb who will take the hit to make the play downfield who maybe hangs onto the ball a bit too long and who maybe isn't the most athletic Qb and maybe he tries to do too much like throwing the ball up for grabs rather than take the sack..inow He'll be fine, especially with the Wr upgrades.

ST coverage units were gutted Deej, when Nate Jones and Reggie Torbor gone, and with Wake maybe being the starter and Lexxy on the roster bubble, those are most of the Top 5 Tacklers on kick coverages who are no longer here.

That is no small thing.

As for the Returner, Bro my goal is 2000k total yds for RGM or Kory Sheets, that is Ted Ginn's production for a full season, whomever replaces him should post similar numbers or Irish messed up imho.

Opening Day game is against the Bills who for years have had outstanding Special Team units, I'd like to think Bonamego won't be caught with his pants down and allows the Bills to steal a win via impact ST plays.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    CJ Spiller..SH$#!!!, lol, you got me all worried now, buffalo's special teams always kicks our ***......That's a team that we just gotta pound into submission...had that chance last year until Henning pooped on himself.

2000 yards is very achievable for a returner..

Been breakin down a little bit of chris clemon's...I like how he keeps things in front of him, I think if anything, he will be consistent in that dept..once the game slows down and he can use his explosiveness, and his body continues to get stronger, he will start arriving sooner.. there's a chance he could be good.

9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

offensive minded defense.

i love it

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    CJ Spiller, healthy, and in his first game in front of the home folks.

That is the beauty of the NFL, we both are 0-0 coming into the season and it takes a couple of games for things to settle out, the Spiller could go crazy.

That is not as easy as one would think Deej, in fact only a handful of Returners in the NFL broke the 2k yd barrier and most of those players were Rb's as well.

I like his speed, but imho he is not ready to start at FS yet, I hope i'm wrong on that, but FS is as much mental as it is physical, but a speedy, savvy FS would be a great addition..well at least Ty Culver is savvy..:D

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    how many did ginn have?

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In 07 he had 2006 in 09 he had 1,750 (or so) but did not become the Returner until week #6, 5 games, 250 yds, 12 returns or so, he would have easily reached 2k in 09.:yes:

Which is "why" the bar is 2k yds otherwise ST play will have moved backwards in terms of performance, though a couple TD's or returns to FG range would make up for a lack of Total Yards.

My candidates for 2k:

-RGM
    -Sheets

Darkhorses:

AJ Wallace
    Nolan Carrol

A Db who can play Defense and return kicks would be a real cool hand Bro, and save a roster slot.

PCobbs couldn't do that with a J-Tow assembly strapped on his ***..:sad:

13. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    IMHO the key to the Dolphin's great defenses was not talented individuals but their ability to play as a team. They swarmed the ball and players didn't take plays off. They enjoyed what they were doing and they were fun to watch. I am hoping this defense can rekindle that spirit and dedication.

Hobiesailor likes this.
  14. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    [​IMG]

Pandarilla likes this.
  15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ive been a fan for a long time, not once have I thought we had a really great defense, you must be referring to a time way back in the day.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    are you sure ginn's rep's and yards are'nt completely average, and relative to the amount of reps, just like his average per return.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yeah, I am, the thing with Ginn was he was somewhat an average Returner, however his Big Play potential was there every season he was a Returner.

In 07 and 09 teams really did kick away from Teddy, they would use squib kicks to avoid giving up the big play/return to the 50 yd line.

TG was recognized as a weapon on Returns by other teams.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    if he was an overall average returner, then how are you putting him in a category that only a handful of players achieved..the numbers don't seem to equate to any kind of elite category, at least not something that could'nt be achieved if the rep's are there....I dont think the 2 td's could of accounted that much to his overall average?

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because TG would average..23 ypa...then break one for 100 yds, or for 50, 2 TD's may not sound like a lot, however Return TD's are incredibly rare in the NFL.

To give an example Stefan Logan of Pitt racked up nearly 1,800 yds just as a returner, with a 27 ypa..he set a record for the Steelers in terms of return yardage..but he had -0- TD's.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Pardon me Pod, eventually I will get out what it is iam trying to say, your stats about him being elite confused me, so, even with the td's, was ted ginn top 5 in average per return?

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Two different metrics Bro, YPA on returns, in that case say he was top 15, however in a All Purpoise Yds sense, he was Top 10.

TG had 24.9 per attempt Josh Cribbs led the NFL with 27.9 and 3 return TD's.

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I sure hope Nolan pulls it off, if he does, we are in for a VERY fun season! :up: