1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offical 24: Day 8 thread

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Jt0323, Jan 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Haha point well taken, especially since she was I believe 16ish during Season 1. It's all a pipe dream anyway, I doubt they'd do a prequel type movie. From what I've heard the movie is based in Europe with Jack being called in to help out.

2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    a prequel would be dreamy lol. give me jack and palmer on a phone conversation!

a non-prequel could be interesting too. a decent budget can allow the hiring of a competent bad guy

in my mind, im not sure if im sold on telling a story in 2 hours.

obviously it wouldnt be "24." do they kill the clock? they would have to, wouldnt they?

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    End of an Era, as in my opinion, 24 revolutionized television. I feel like 24 was the first real series that each episode was important, and if you missed one you are lost.

Pagan likes this.
  4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I think you'd almost have to kill the clock or you would have to start the movie in mid action and let the characters tell the viewer what's been going on. I mean you can point and say they pretty much made a movie with 24 Redemption so it is possible.

Eh I'm not sure if I agree with you there. 24 was definitely unique and did something that no one else had done before but it's not like it did something that changed the industry and everyone is running on board following or copying. And you could definitely miss an episode and still follow the story since it's made like a soap opera where the characters will keep explaining what's going on. It might be hard to follow for a few minutes but once the characters start retelling what happened last episode (which they do simply so people don't give up on the show if they happen to miss an episode or 2).

5. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Still watch the show but this decision could,should have been made 3 years ago

I can't see a 24 movie doing as well as it would have done 3-4 years ago

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ah Season 6 was terrible but Season 5 and 7 were both pretty good overall and I'm glad we got to see them.

Regarding the movie, I agree the best time to have done it would have been 3-4 years ago when the main core of the supporting cast was still around (Palmer, Tony, Michelle). The biggest problems in the past 3 seasons (6,7,8) have been the supporting cast which wasn't as strong, especially the last 2 years when if Jack, Tony, or Renee weren't on the screen it was just boring TV time. Plus I feel that 24 wasted what could have been 2 classic bad guys in Jon Vought's character and Alan Wilson (the bad guy for a few episodes at the end of Season 7) where they weren't in a lot episodes. This year's bad guys are just way too plain and boring.

gunn34 likes this.
  7. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    But 24 was one of the first series that did not have filler episodes. What i mean by this is, look at Law and Order, each episode there is a new case, There is character development and what not, but the most important thing is each story. 24, there was one big story going on, with little ones mixed in. I can pick up in episode 14 or Law and Order and watch the rest of the season with out missing a beat, 24, i can't. 24 created more shows to be like this.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    24 was definitely not the first TV show where you had to watch each episode, old TV shows like Hill Street Blues in the 80s and Twin Peaks in the 90s were serial series that you had to watch almost every episode and in production order to be able to follow the story. And 24 does have filler episodes but they're just masked because of the running clock, usually around episode 7, 13, and 18 are the filler episodes where there isn't any action, just a lot of standing around when the main storyline ends and the next big storyline is starting up. Especially in the earlier seasons its very noticeable since the didn't use to film the seasons continuously and had a lot of breaks during production.

9. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    but 24 made it cool to have more shows like this. There are more shows like 24 and Lost now then there has ever been

10. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  11. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Honestly if NBC were to pick up the series I think they should probably start over with an entirely new cast to bring back the suspense and drama of it. Keep everything fresh and new. Or in the very least keep Jack Bauer but have him running CTU instead of having him keeping doing field work. They just need to build up new characters and keep building them season by season.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I liked the twist tonight that the boyfriend wasn't really killed. I had just finished complaining that a similar storyline was used just 2 episodes ago with the President's brother getting cold feet and running from the terrorists so that twist was much needed. Although the EMP(?) bomb was used in season 4 and I could have done without yet another attack on CTU, I will just let it slide.

Seriously this Dana storyline is beyond painful to watch. I don't even want to comment on it except that it absolutely sucks and hopefully it will be finished next week.

13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i thought that if they were determined on an attack on CTU, the way they did it was the most acceptable

it looks like they may be trying to get back to their roots a bit. maybe all the technology has hurt the series. having jack communicate by phone with occasional aid by technology adds more options and creativity for the writers

otherwise, they are left with little options besides the classic "bad guys escape by going in the underpass" lol.

then again, the previews are shouting that jack is going to die next week lol. he just runs out in the open against a guy behind cover, lol?

maybe they are trying to turn him back into Superman

but i think there is something to be said about the technology in the 24. we are used to suspending disbelief, but at times its too much to bear

i mean.....if you get pulled over for speeding in the middle of the night, there are 1 or 2 other cops arriving out of thin air within a couple of minutes

now with drones and real-time video and communication, metro police now being almost para-military, we cant lock down a hotel within 10-15 minutes in NYC? its getting beyond bogus now and after the hospital near-escape

14. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I just finished the last 3 episodes... 24 is picking up! especially the last episode. I think the Dana storyline is over since CTU is destroyed there is no proof of what she did. I loved seeing Ernie Anastos on Fox 5 news! made it feel real. I really liked the twist! did not seeing that coming at all, and I was about to complain about them using the same old storyline but they changed it up! can't wait for next week!

15. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Wasn't that the "where's my stapler?" - guy from that Office movie?

Anyway, 24 is always a riot but I wasn't overly amused with the CTU group bringing the President's daughter back to their base. She's driving a car that she's never driven before, that was just taken from a secret terrorist hideout... hmmm yeah, it could be packed with explosives.... MAYBE! The show needs hotter chicks, bring back Elisha!

16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes and yes.

Paul 13 likes this.
  17. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I thought the Dana storyline had mercifully come to an end, at least for a few episodes. Then Milton shows up and ruins everything. The fact that he can just wonder around CTU and nobody asks him who he is makes me laugh a little. No wonder CTU is compromised every season. He has to be the most dedicated parole officer in history.

gunn34 and FinsPensFan like this.
  18. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Something tells me he's not a parole officer.

19. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Agreed.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Same old same old with 24 and CTU moles, although I admit this one came out of nowhere and kind of makes sense that Dana faked her ID to get into CTU etc. Tonight's episode was pretty good, hopefully things start to pick up now.

21. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I loved the dana mole because no one saw it coming. I was like great another mole, and personally, i feel like as some one said, technology hurts this show because it makes it easy for the good guys, i feel like moles hurt it too because it makes it easy for the bad guys. But i do like the twist no one saw coming, but it all makes sense

22. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I don't mind the twist but......If she was the mole running with all these bad guys....Why did they just not take care of her ex-boyfriend by killing him before she had to do all those favours for him

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well there are some plot holes like that since I'm sure when the writers started writing the first few episodes they probably didn't think beforehand if she would be a mole or not. I'm a little more upset that this is now the 3rd mole used this season (President's brother and Head Security were the first 2), I wish 24 could be more original but I'm kind of just going with it now, especially since this season started to get a little better with more action and the story is picking up.

24. Noodle Arm

Noodle Arm and you are?

Mar 6, 2010
    Orlando,FL
    I wish CTU were real, I'd so apply for the HR department. I mean, it seems they'd hire just about anybody and I bet the pay is good. Background checks?....what's that? I'd rather just throw darts at all the applications and whoever it lands on...they're hired!

25. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    it was the classic 'put the dead guy in the office cabinet' routine lol. guess it doesnt matter anyway

she was a good choice for the mole. i cant imagine anybody liked her anyways. may as well hate her even more.

its kinda funny that jack gets shot and i dont even flinch lol

what confidence does anyone have that the nuclear detectors would have done anything? i mean, there is a 20 minute response time for anything on any part of the city lol

previews look like they gave the first 50 minutes away with the fake handover plan. it would be pretty cool if they actually get hassan

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good episode of 24 tonight. It doesn't seem like Dana is working for the terrorists, just with them so hopefully the main baddie of this season will be someone pretty cool and not just a stereotypical middle eastern. Anyway only 10 episodes left, kind of sad but hopefully the series ends on a high note.

maynard likes this.
  27. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I must disagree. This episode, more than any other, had the been-there, done-that feel. The President's risking American lives by not bowing to terrorists? We'll stage a coup, or seditious act, or ... :yawn:

28. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i still thought it was pretty creative. we had jack vs. american soldiers. im not sure we have seen that before

next week looks like its going to be amazing

29. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i also like that she doesnt have some cheesy motivation like doing it for money to keep paying her mortgage or something

she always was a low life so this makes perfect sense

also, gotta love the reappearance of charles logan. i wonder if he is connected to what you are saying. hes a great weasel

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well yeah it definitely had the been there done that feel, especially the heart med part much like in Season 3 when Sherri Palmer refused to give Alan Milagen the heart medicine because he was threatening David Palmer's campaign.

Still I enjoyed the episode and decided to try my best to just enjoy the end of the series.

Jack fought American soldiers in Season 2 and Season 4.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure since Logan is still probably under heavy security. I guess we'll see in a few hours, I believe he reappears around episode 17 or so.

31. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Except for the part when Hussan takes out Jack with the hit from behind I actually LIKED this episode

We get to see what the Russians bring to the table now

32. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Um ... wow.

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah no kidding huh? I figured Jack and Renee would go to the apartment and the terrorists and Hassen were going to be in a different location. I never thought you'd see him killed. Kudos to the writers for that twist. I thought the first hour was ok but the 2nd hour picked up big time.

34. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    just a great episode. as much as i hate dana and her stupid face, she is kind of a badass. so is she working for the russians?

cant wait for logan. hes my favorite weasel

not to bash it, but the whole car exchange with hassan was just absurd. not only was there no time to do it, but the fact that those two were just lurking there in the garage just beyond where the random car comes out of nowhere...lol

i really didnt think hassan would die like that

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Haha, agreed completely with the car exchange.

36. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Loved the episode, but based on next weeks preview, i feel like 24 has hit its high point this season.

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm sure the last episode or 2 will be intense and pretty good. But I'd probably guess that the next few weeks will be used to build up to the final showdown episode so we won't get a lot of action. I'm extremely interested in Logan's return as he was one of my favorite characters on the show and the actor does a great job with him.

Also I had heard rumors than Michael Madsen (from Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill) was going to be the main bad guy at the end of the season. If true that's a pretty good hire because he would make a hell of a bad guy.

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just an awesome ending tonight. Stuff like that was definitely missing since Season 5. Hopefully this turns Jack back into Bad *** Jack for the rest of the season. Just a really powerful ending, in an otherwise slow episode.

I also loved the stuff with Logan, the guy plays him perfectly.

39. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    I completely disagree that this was a slow episode. And Chloe being named CTU chief was a great payoff to longtime fans of the show. You can tell they were writing for this to be the last season.

40. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    It's funny because in the beginning, it looked like it could be one of the worst seasons, and its turning out to be one of the best! Great episode!