*Official 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread*

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Feb 15, 2009.

1. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bobby Cox has been after Javier Vasquez ever since the guy was 25 years old and with the Expos. He has always like Javier's ability to change speeds and locate his pitches.

2. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The Braves trimmed their roster some today, sending a few down to the minor league camp and assigning three to Gwinnett (I keep wanting to say Richmond).

Jo Jo Reyes, as I anticipated, was assigned to AAA Gwinnett. He will likely be their #1 starter and probably will get the first call to Atlanta in case Glavine cannot go in April or if an injury hits the rotation.

Clint Sammons also got assigned to AAA Gwinnett. I was really hoping they would give him a chance to beat out David Ross and be Brian's back up at catcher. Clint had a very good spring. He's an above average defensive catcher who will offer more offensively than David Ross, IMO. I guess there is some hope that Ross will hit like he did a couple of years ago, but it wasn't seen in spring training.

Diory Hernandez was also assigned to AAA Gwinnett, where he will be the starting short stop. He's had two good seasons in a row in the minors and looks to be a guy who could eventually be a utility guy in the infield with the versatility to play short, second, and perhaps third.

Others that were sent to the minor league camp were expected. Tommy Hanson was sent to minor league camp after striking out 14 and allowing no hits in a recent minor league start. It will be interesting to see if they start him at AAA Gwinnett or AA Mississippi. It's clear that this guy will be in Atlanta before long, perhaps before this season is over. He's got top of the rotation starter written all over him.

Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman were also assigned to minor league camp. The will start at High A Myrtle Beach. These two guys will be the meat of that line up, along with the power hitting but iron gloved Cody Johnson. I'm really hoping Adam Coe breaks out at third base for Myrtle Beach this year. He's already an above average defender at third, but he's got a lot of unrealized power potential at this point. He needs to step up, because Atlanta needs a long term guy behind Chipper Jones.

Brandon Hicks impressed Bobby Cox with his defense and his hitting this spring, but he was sent to minor league camp. He will likely be the starting short stop at AA Mississippi. I get to see the Mississippi Braves play quite often, so I'm ready to go see Hicks in Pearl as well as the enigma Eric Campbell, who is a power hitting third baseman that has had make up and reliability issues to this point. Ernesto Mejia may also be a guy to watch at Mississippi. Mississippi will also have John Mark Owings, who is a player I've been high on for a while. I'm just waiting for him to have a full season where he is healthy. The guy has 30 home run potential, IMO. The Mississippi Braves should also have power hitting second baseman Travis Jones. I anticipate that Cole Rohrbough will be in Mississippi at some point this season, and in fact, I think he will break out this year much like Tommy Hanson did last year.

3. charlestonphan

charlestonphan Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Braves beat writer Mark Bowman said on his blog that moving Hanson down is basicly to push back the start of his arbitration clock and get him more starts.

if he started in Atlanta as number 5, he would only get 2 starts in April and about 3 in May, whereas in the minors, at the top of the rotation he will get several more.

Bowman seems to believe Hanson will be in Atlanta to stay by summer, and at the top of the rotation by next season.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Alot of people on the Braves boards are pissed about Hanson, but Bowman is right - he needs to stay fresh in the minors. When we need him for the stretch run, he'll be primed.

Plus the odds of all our starters staying healthy (sad to say, but probably true) is slim. I have a feeling he'll see the big club sooner than later.

5. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It is looking like Jordan Schafer has inched ahead of Josh Anderson and Gregor Blanco for the centerfield job. Part of me would like to see him get a little more seasoning at Gwinnett and improve his hitting against left handed pitching. Most of me, however, would rather go ahead and give the job to Jordan, because he is the future of this position in Atlanta and already offers more slugging ability than either Josh or Gregor.

6. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    isn't Anderson is out of options though? so he kind of has to be on the MLB roster or he has to pass waivers (which won't happen) in order to get back to AAA.

7. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    the Braves traded Josh Anderson for Detroit Tigers minor league pitcher Rudy Darrow. Darrow had decent numbers in A ball last season.

well, i guess they solved the problem of what to do about Josh Anderson who was indeed out of options to the minor leagues, but played pretty well.

looks like Jordan Schafer will be the CF in Atlanta this season.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...t_id=4090142&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

muscle979 likes this.
  8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    FYI for you braves fans:

A source told MLB.com that the Braves and Chipper Jones are closing in on a three-year extension with an option for 2013.
    That's a long time to be locking up an injury-prone player entering his age-37 season, but Chipper is as productive as ever and probably will settle for fewer dollars in return for the chance to finish his career in Atlanta. He would be eligible for free agency after this season.
    Source: Braves.mlb.com

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    sweet chipper retires a brave...................

10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    he deserves to. he is to braves baseball as Ted Williams to Boston, Mantle to the Yanks, or Musial to the Cards. One of the best players of his era; I hope Wright maintains his productivity just as long (minus the injuries) :up:

11. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    It would have hurt to have seen Chipper leave the Braves. When Dale Murphy left the Braves, that really hurt. Dale Murphy is my all time favorite baseball player.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It sure looks like Schafer is getting the job in CF. Schafer, Escobar, Chipper, McCann, Francoeur, Johnson, Kotchman, and G. Anderson. Could be a very good line-up if things go as planned.

13. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    I don't know about anybody else, but it would have hurt me worse then seeing smoltz go....

muscle979 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  14. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I agree.

15. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes, I agree with that.

16. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Anyone else a little concerned about Rafael Soriano being given a major role in the bullpen, at least early on?

The guy has obvious talent. He has one of, if not the best fastball on this team. However, the guy has been completely unreliable to date whether it is an injury or something else. He is saying he is ready to pitch now, but from what I'm seeing in spring training, he's getting hit hard because everything he is throwing is up in the strike zone. I'm concerned.

IMO, this is a make or break season for Rafael. He's got to show consistency this season. If he doesn't, Atlanta has some young guys in the minors that are moving fast and could be in a position to replace him next spring. One of those guys is Kris Medlen, who I think will be a starter at Gwinnett, but when he gets in Atlanta, he will come out of the pen. Craig Kimbrell is a guy that is moving fast as well and could figure into the equation within the next two years.

Also, I would like to see consistency out of Mike Gonzalez this year. There are times where he looks unhittable, then there are other times where he looks like he shouldn't be a closer at all.

17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Soriano's non-chalance has always bothered me slightly. I don't have a problem with guys having a calm demeanor, but I dont think I've ever seen any emotion out of the guy.

Either way, I think we got the better of that Horacio Ramirez deal. As for Gonzalez, he was nearly unhittable last year. I think he'll be fine once the season rolls around.

18. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    The roster is set.

Pitchers:
    Derek Lowe RHP
    Jair Jurjjens RHP
    Javier Vasquez RHP
    Kenshin Kawakami RHP

Mike Gonzalez LHP
    Peter Moylan RHP
    Blaine Boyer RHP
    Rafael Soriano RHP
    Jeff Bennett RHP
    Buddy Carlyle RHP
    Jorge Campillo RHP
    Eric O'Flaherty LHP

Looks like Tom Glavine will start the year on the DL till he's ready to go. He's close to ready, IMO. Campillo will likely get any spot starts and will probably go down when Tom is ready. The only minor surprise is that they kept O'Flaherty over Boone Logan. It's a slight suprise that Manny Acosta didn't make it.

Catchers:
    Brian McCann
    Clint Sammons

Color me happy, even though Sammons is only being kept because David Ross is injured. I think Clint is the long term reserve for Brian.

Infield:
    Casey Kotchman 1B
    Kelly Johnson 2B
    Yunel Escobar SS
    Chipper Jones 3B
    Martin Prado 2B/3B
    Omar Infante SS/3B/OF
    Greg Norton 1B/OF

Overall, no surprises here. Infant and Norton are excellent utility guys. Martin Prado will eventually be a starting 2B somewhere. He's going to carry a lot of value, because he will get some at bats in the games that Chipper sits down.

Outfield:
    Jeff Francoeur RF
    Jordan Schafer CF
    Garrett Anderson LF
    Matt Diaz LF

No real suprises here, unless you consider the fact that they not only are giving Jordan Schafer the CF job, they didn't keep another CF on the roster. Gregor Blanco will be the CF at Gwinnett. Personally, I'm disappointed that Brandon Jones couldn't make it despite his great spring. He did slow down some at the end, but overall, he could likely give the Braves what Garrett Anderson will.

19. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    About 3 more hours until the Braves take the field for the opener in Philadelphia!

Real baseball is back again! I'm expecting big things from the Braves this year and it will be a wild ride, and it all begins tonight.

GO BRAVES!

20. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    McCann goes deep. Francoeur goes deep. Schafer hits a home run in his first major league at bat. Escobar just hit a double off the wall. I hope this continues. Derek Lowe is no hitting the Phillies so far.

21. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Still the best swing in baseball. Chipper Jones.

22. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    By the way, Derek Lowe was masterful tonight.

8IP 2H 0R

23. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    oy this is close now.................

24. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    That a boy gonzo!!

25. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I hope we get that from Lowe all year. That was beautiful.

26. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Nice win Braves' fans.....we should not have even been in the game or had the tying run at the plate late in the game, with four hits. Myers made three bad pitches, but it's just game one.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Gonzo had me sweating at the end, he finished strong though. McCann, Francoeur, and Schafer all hit home runs but after that the offense didn't do anything. Lowe showed us tonight why we went after him, he was brilliant.

Great start to the season!

28. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Lowe is going to be good, Phils are on the way to a 3rd place finish

29. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    That is why I can't have complete confidence in Mike Gonzalez. I just don't have the feeling that the game is over when he's out there. When he isn't spotting his fastball, he gets himself into trouble. Since it wasn't a save situation, I would have brought in Peter Moylan due to the fact that Philly had two right handed hitters coming up to bat. In fact, I trust Moylan's control on a night to night basis more than I trust Gonzalez's.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    You mean after the Braves 1st and 2nd choices signed with the Yankees and Red Sox right? :wink2:

Lowe was great tonight, hopefully he keeps it up all season, good win by the Braves.

31. charlestonphan

Mar 22, 2008
    Peavy was our first, but we didnt mortgage the future for him. :up:

32. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Hmm, I didn't know Jake Peavy signed with the Red Sox.

:shifty:

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I forgot about the Braves going after Peavy but I was talking about Smoltz obviously.

But hey sometimes the best moves are the ones that aren't made.

34. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No doubt. You could always bring Gonzo in to face the Lefty's if Moylan gets into trouble. Ive always hated when Managers bring the closer into a non-save situation. I dont even have a problem with brining your closer in the 8th if need be, but I feel they're not as amped if they know they cant earn the save.

35. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    gonzo does look like he doesnt have control to me, even when he was striking guys out :lol:

36. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Sometimes "effectively wild" is a good thing. But he takes it to a whole new level. Ive also found it amazing that a guy who sets up on the inside corner to righty's has had so much success.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  37. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Another great win. Dominant pitching by Jurrjens and a few home runs by Kelly and Chipper. If we can keep having this kind of success at the top of the rotation we will be tough to beat.

Only one run surrendered to the Phillies offense through 18 innings. Pretty damn good.

38. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    who closed?

39. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Can someone please tell me why the Braves were wearing the Met's uniforms tonight?

40. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Gonzalez did and had a perfect 9th.