1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2011-12 MLB HOTSTOVE OFF-SEASON THREAD***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Do you think San Francisco laughs at the Yankees before hanging up or simply just hangs up without wasting any energy to laugh? Seriously Montero and Nunez for Lincecum and Huff? Really? Why would SF do that when they would have nowhere to play Montero and come on Nunez is a back up player for one of the top pitchers in the game? I mean that's just lazy writing at least put Brett Gardner, Phil Hughes/Nova and one of the B boys to make people stop and think for a minute.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    the calm before the hot stove storm....people are bored...

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when a writer throws out a completely done trade proposal without even thinking about why or why not either team would do it.

finyank13 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    See it the NBA a lot as well, just massively impractical trades or FA signings proposed, or the current fad of hype "inside information about the lockout!"

You are more of a stat head then I, would you be surprised if a sort of Jimmy Johnson style "value chart" emerged that makes it clearer "when" a young star heading toward FA a team cannot afford should trade them? And for what level of prospects at what positions?

I could actually see that being useful, avg dollar amount of expected contract, or arbitration, and the success or failure rate of prospects in such deals and what positions they played.

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It would probably be tough to determine a specific model that says exactly when a team should trade Player X. It would depend on multiple factors that would probably change each year such as how good the MLB team is, how good the farm system is, payroll, how much money the player will cost in arbitration, which players/prospects you can get, how good do you think the player will be in the future etc. And really each player/situation is really a case by case basis.

Obviously the length of control a team would have on a player would help to determine how good the prospects/players the team gets back. Perfect example is the two Mark Teixeira trades. The Braves gave Texas a ton of prospects because Teixeira had a year and a half of control left. When the Braves traded him to the Angels they got basically nothing for him because he only had a half a year left.

Most teams already have models in place that determines future arbitration earnings and have done research on past trades, what worked and why or why not though.

Obviously using stats is important and even though I am a stat head it's also important to actually watch the games. Stats only tell you so much and they could be misleading (as can your eyes). I'd never base trading/keeping a player strictly on stats.

I think the biggest mistake teams make is that they overvalue their own prospects. Although I think in 5 years free agency is going to be extremely different as teams will be more focused on building up their farm systems and developing their own players and signed them to long term extensions to cancel out their arbitration years and keep them with the team during their peak years. Free Agency will never be dead but I do think a lot of teams are going to be more and more causious with it moving forward.

padre31 likes this.
  6. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    fielder and reyes to seattle! cheaaaaaaa

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Man, the Giants would be so stupid to trade away Tim Lincecum.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    All I am saying in this is whatever package NY would have to give up for Linecum, the same package would get Kershaw.....

I would even throw in more....and you have a better pitcher, 4 years younger, with less innings on him....

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The other thing is RF, the MLB draft is probably more important then it was 15 yrs ago, the quality of player coming out of NCAA programs has improved that much, the picks for losing guys in FA should be in that mix as well.

MLB will never have a draft that has a NFL type of impact, however it has risen in importance in my view.

Another issue, that somewhat surprises me, is the death of the platoon system at positions, any idea why that happened?

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    In theory you'd think that but I bet Kershaw would command a higher package. He's young, a lefty and has more years under team control. I'd rather have Kershaw, I think he's better.

No question the draft is much more important. Hell I'd say it's more important now than it ever was. The MLB draft will never have the importance as the NFL or NBA draft only because it takes so long for the guys drafted to reach the majors and only a certain % of the guys even drafted on live TV will even make it to the MLB.

I wouldn't say the platoon system is dead but I don't understand why more teams don't use it. Especially with the older more established players it seems like managers are afraid to hurt their feelings yet they have no problem sitting a young LHH against a LHP.

finyank13 likes this.
  11. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Agreed, but its always fun to see who would or wouldnt do the deal as written and claim how much a mistake it would be to accept an arm like Lincecum for only Montero and Nunez no less.....! Pure comic gold!

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    small potatoes...Yanks have most productive offense in MLB, and everyone is coming back with enhancement at DH. No worries...the arms will improve, the offense isnt the issue.

Playoffs are a crap shoot...thats why TEX and STL can represent each league when neither was the best team in their respective league. The Playoffs arent rigged - you have to get on the roll - Yanks have done that for 27 titles, its not gonna faze them, still takes some good fortune.

Still have to get there, and unlike your Red Sox missing out completely the past two years, its does just take a hot streak and Yanks can win it all cause they are in the playoffs. Sox will just have those early KFC picnics.

I am sure you will be back on the bandwagon and claim the Yanks as the greatest team ever once that 28th title is secured. Ya know, that bandwagon you drive is a classic one, never leaves the garage until the Trophy is being lifted. :hi5:

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I suspect a part of the reason why it takes so long is it is the "way we have always done it" syndrome, there are no flags that go up on a player saying "he's ready" or 'he's not ready" the only real way to find out is to play them and clubs just hesitate to do so.

Even Rizzo, whom I'm not a fan of, should have been tossed into the fire to see what he had, the key is to continue to toss him out there, BUT with FA I suspect teams just don't want to risk losing the service time while training the player.

When that system was really in place, platoon Catchers and platoon OF were commonplace, heck Baltimore won WS with a couple of positions manned by platoon players.

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Jim Thome to going back to his old stomping grounds. The Phillies have agreed to a one-year contract with the slugger, reports MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com says the deal is worth $1.25MM (on Twitter). The contract is still pending a physical, which will take place on Saturday.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If the player is ready and especially if the team isn't good yes by all means bring him up and just play him. Let him take his lumps along with his successes, it will make the player a better player in the end. Regarding Rizzo, it was obvious he wasn't ready. The problem was he was just killing Triple A pitching he forced SD's hand. But that happens with younger players, not everyone is going to come up and hit like Braun or Pujols. Heck Pedroia was terrible in his first 50 plus games in the MLB and then turned into a monster. It happens. Same with Roy Halladay, he was awful in his first MLB stint. Baseball is the hardest game to play, sometimes it takes guys more time to figure it out. On the flip side sometimes you get non talents like a Shane Spencer or Chris Shelton that come out of nowhere and dominate for a month or so then flame out.

16. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Didn't expect to see him in the NL.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Agreed, Phils must be very concerned about Howard's recovery, etc.

Other news:

I think he would be a dominant #3 for sure for the right price.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie

laff laff

He has played 4 games in the field since 2005.

Now it'll be fun to see them give a ****load of money to Rollins.

finyank13 likes this.
  19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    we as Yankee fans measure success soley on championships my friend, 1st round KO's bore me, and are the same as not even making the playoffs to me...at least if they didnt make the playoffs, maybe they would wake up and see that the reason why they didnt win is because they couldnt string 2 hits together......and it has been that way for a few years now once the playoffs come....

As the ages go up, I suspect the results will stay the same, maybe even curtail a little...just trust me BDH I will let you know when they can win the WS....
    :up: Lets see after all the chips fall in place and ST begins...

21. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I thought you measured yankees success on games against the red sox now..

22. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    We can only hope.

23. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I believe he came out and said there will be no hometown discount. I might be wrong, though.

24. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    FinSox13 is only happy if Yanks play Saux in ALCS....otherwise he gets cranky!:pointlol:

finyank13 likes this.
  25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This...pay attention Nappy.....everything else is trival...

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The Duke is back.....

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think it speaks volumes to what a disaster that franchise is and how badly the owner truly is. They had multiple candidates turn down the job and even interviews and had to get someone that hasn't been involved in the game at the MLB level in 10 years. Granted I didn't think Duquette was a bad GM, as he had strengths at being someone very good at making trades and signing FAs but he was terrible when it came to drafting players and also dealing with players. He had a part in that 2004 championship as he brought in a lot of the core group that was there.

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    finyank13 likes this.
  29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This alot of those guys were Duquettes......he will be okay if they get a strong scouting group with him...

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I miss the Melk-Man....

31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The problem with Duquette is that he completely ignored the draft after 1994 when he got Nomar. From 1994 to 2002 when he was let go the Sox just had terrible drafts. His goal was trade the 'prospects' for MLB level players. He didn't really believe in the farm system process. He needs to change that mindset if he wants to survive this time around. Also he needs to work on his player communication skills too. He was awful at that as well.

finyank13 likes this.
  32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So 26 as in 37?

SICK likes this.
  33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  34. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    lmao

seems madson & phils are talking about deal for about $11M a year. (@jim_duquette said 4 yrs). so that'd be 4 for about 44M

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Fools......with a 5 year possibly....

36. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Unreal.

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Because history of any RPer signing a deal longer than 3 years with the last name not Rivera has worked out so well in the past....

Nappy Roots and finyank13 like this.
  38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not done?

39. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

40. Mach

Mach Cap Dude

Apr 20, 2009
    whenever I see Bloomquist, this is all I can think of: