1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2011 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Nov 6, 2010.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, out with the old, in with the new......#28 in 2011!
    Wrapping up some last minute business to get everyone on the same page:

* Joe Girardi back as Manager with 3yr contract - same for Kevin Long as Hitting Coach
    * Leo Mazzone in the running for Pitching Coach to replace exited Dave Eiland

As Bryon Hock reported: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news...30&content_id=15911600&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

Contract issues
    Free agents: Lance Berkman, 1B/DH; Derek Jeter, SS; Nick Johnson, 1B/DH; Austin Kearns, OF; Andy Pettitte, LHP; Mariano Rivera, RHP; Marcus Thames, OF; Javier Vazquez, RHP.

Eligible for arbitration: Joba Chamberlain, RHP; Chad Gaudin, RHP; Phil Hughes, RHP; Boone Logan, LHP; Sergio Mitre, RHP; Dustin Moseley, RHP.

Club options: Berkman, $15 million (declined); Johnson, $5.5 million (declined); Kerry Wood, RHP, $11 million (declined).

Non-tender possibilities: Gaudin, Mitre, Moseley.

Areas of need
    Ace starter: Nolan Ryan had the right idea when he was asked how much it might take to keep Lee. "You'll have to go next door and ask them. I think he's got their attention," the Rangers president and Hall of Famer said. Indeed he does. Cashman has said pitching is the key to the kingdom, and a Lee-Sabathia pairing atop the rotation makes the Yankees salivate.

Legacy Yankees: What is Derek Jeter worth to the Yankees? Based upon performance alone, he's not a $21 million shortstop, but his value is astronomically higher in pinstripes than it would be in any other uniform. And so begin the great debates about what to pay Jeter and for how long. Rivera's 1.80 ERA at age 40 just makes you marvel. It'll also make the Yankees write some big checks while praying the fountain of youth keeps flowing.

Left-handed reliever: Nothing against Logan, who did a fine job stepping in, but it was never the plan for him to be the lone southpaw in the bullpen for most of the year. Logan was supposed to be a second choice behind Marte, who is likely a loss for most of '11 and didn't really help a whole lot in '10. The Yanks will try to replenish their left-handed relief depth.

Starting catcher: Is Jorge Posada still capable of catching three out of four days at age 39? If the answer is no, the Yankees have some questions to answer. Francisco Cervelli's offensive potential is limited, but the Yankees have two attractive catching prospects in Jesus Montero and Austin Romine who might see big league time in '11.

Setup man: The Yankees' bridge to Rivera was built by Kerry Wood late in '10, but an $11 million option is prohibitive for a setup man, and Wood may look to get a closer's job elsewhere. As of right now, the in-house candidates would be Joba Chamberlain and Dave Robertson to try again in the eighth inning.

2011 payroll
    There are no payroll reductions on the horizon for the Yankees, which is part of the reason Cashman acknowledges people scoff at the idea that they do actually operate within a budget. The actual figure, flexible as it may be, will be set by the Steinbrenners in Tampa. New York's Opening Day payroll in 2010 was $213 million, up from $201 million in 2009 and $209 million in 2008. Re-signing the trio of Jeter, Rivera and Pettitte wouldn't clear much space, and there is a large chunk of the payroll already earmarked for a certain free-agent lefty.

finyank13 likes this.
  2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I figured I'd post it here but Cashman has apparently called Posada up and told him that he's going to see time at DH mostly next season. Posada is also having minor knee surgery in Dec. The Yankees are going to have an open tryout at the catching position with 2 spots open for Cervelli, Jesus Montero and Austin Romane.

Every scouting report I've read on both Montero and Romane is that they're not MLB catchers. Montero is too big for the position and too slow for the position, he has trouble blocking balls in the dirt and is slow to throw the ball to the bases (so much that the Yankees have tried working with Montero to try and throw from his knee to save time). And Romane, while he has a strong arm, has trouble blocking and catching the ball. He has stone hands. So it will be interesting to see if the Yankees are truly serious and willing to let Montero or Romane open the season as the everyday catcher and also how they do.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Gaudin is already gone...

BDH....so soon with this hahahahah

4. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    As much as i love jeter and what he means to this organization, i dont want to see the yankees tied up in a contract with him for more than 3 yrs.

Mariano i hope is on a yr to yr basis also. I would like to see Kerry wood back in pinstripes, but he really wants to close.

Pettitte i dont think will return. If he doesnt, who do the yankees open the 5th spot to? Ivan Nova? a free agent? Paul Malholm maybe, a chance on Justin Duchsherer. Maybe take a waiver on Oli perez(he is this past yrs carl pavano) or edwin jackson.

Role players/bench positions: I hope to see marcus thames back in pinstripes, i wouldnt mind the seeing berkman back, although i dont see that happening. Xavier Nady if healthy is at the top of my list as well as is Rick Ankiel, Andruw Jones, Chris Duncan or maybe Andy Marte.

Catchers: Posada as the DH, because his defense is awful. Problem is the other catchers we have in camp are also defensively awful. Cervelli threw runners out at even less of a percentage than Jorge and his offense as stated above is limited. Maybe John BucK; if Romine or Montero dont work out. I personally think montero is more fit to play first, but the yanks already have that covered.

So much to think about. Im not even sure i want Lee here. He was on the disabled list in two of the last 3 seasons. He is 3yrs removed from serving a stint in the minors because he sucked so bad. I dont mind the yanks going after him, but the money that its gonna take to sign him is going to be outrageous. On top of it all, he's 33 and he aint getting any younger.

I know this is a dream world sceneraio here, but i would like to see the yanks swindle the mariners for King Felix

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Well, setting the foundation for discussion on 2011 is smarter than burying it in the old 2010 thread or just regular HOT STOVE talk. Hopefully we keep this clean with Yanks official stuff and less general rumor and MLB wish list for now.

Agree on Jeter with 3yr max....club option 4th is fine....but thats max 3yrs...max! Andy is question mark and feel his decision for 1 more year could set stage for Lee aggressiveness. Would be nice to have CC, #2, Lee, #4, Andy as #5. Hughes could be #2, or AJ for one more go if he gets back on the horse...but point being that Andy as #5 allows for days off and rest, etc. No Andy is still doable, but need an arm to step up from farm.

Have ZERO issues with Jorge as DH primary....willing to hold on speculation of Romane or Montero etc until Spring work outs. The OF (while lots of clubhouse respect for Gardner) is best served with Crawford in Left, Grandy in CF (clearly saved his NYY rep by 2nd half performance), and Swish in RF. Gardner is perfect 4th OF (injuries always happen) and pinch runner, etc.

Infield not much CAN change right now. We are still a season away from deciding on Jeter's next position or DH time, etc.

The main focus I would wager will be Bullpen with 2 or 3 new arms. Next is 1 or 2 SP depending on Andy and Farm, and last will be tossing our hat into the Crawford sweepstakes. Other than that....we do have plenty of time but again, glad we have a place to keep a real idea on 2011 and less worry about 2010.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Giving Jeter a contract of over 2 years is a huge mistake...after next year, when Jorge is gone, A-Rod will be most likely the DH...whats happens to Jeter?? Where does he go?? 3rd base?? Outfield?? He has no range, he cant play the outfield...NY is one year away from having a very pedestrian left side of the infield...every ball hit on the ground away from those 2 is getting through..

Honestly I dont think they should do more than 2 years for Jeter, I'm dead serious, if it came down to a 3 year contract or letting him go....they should let him go....I know I will be in the vast minority with this, but this team needs to focus more on youth, and finding athletes to play the most athletic positions on the field...

2 years gets Jeter his 3000 hits as a Yankee, hell he will even do it this year....give him a piece of the ownership pie, make him the face of the franchise for the future, and give him a majority percentage of the revenues from the 3000 hits...but signing him to a 4 year contract in excess of 15+ million dollars per is pure lunacy and poor ownership....remember it isnt about Jeter, it is about the organization...

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    So the lastest and greatest on the Jeter saga is that the Yankees will offer him an overcompensated dollar value contract BUT they only wanna do 3 years.....However Jeter wants more years, putting it as Joel Sherman is saying "4 or more possibly"...

So Mr. Yankee, the face of the franchise for what will be years to come, with uber millions in the bank, is strong arming the team for a year or 2 extra?? I hope the Yankees dont budge on this stance...if it were The Boss, then this deal would have been done at 6 years no doubt, thats the only thing I hated about him, but hopefully the kids, and Cashman can view that it isnt a good deal for NY......

I go get Uribe for 3 years instead for less money....

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I hope the Yankees do that. Yeah Jeter wasn't very good this season but (sadly) he was still one of the better hitting SS in the AL. I really don't understand why Yankee fans are so anti-don't sign Jeter to a long contract or at big money. None of that stuff is going to stop the franchise from going out and spending money on players. He had a career low in BA and OBP yet still managed to score over 100 runs. The guy is on the decline obviously, but the other options aren't much better. Derek Jeter's worst year is easily Juan Uribe's best year.

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I dont want him for more than 3 years, it is bad....look at Posada, they went 4 years on him, and many Yankee fans wish that contract was over..but no we have him here this year, playing 100 games and clogging everything up....Jeter in year 3 is going to be cooked at 39, he is starting to get cooked now, and people dont understand why the Yankees shouldnt sign him....they look old, it was eveident in the playoffs, old and tired, the old guard needs to change...Jeter I dont have a problem with this or next year, but I am scared of 3 years plus.....the guy wants 5-6 years contract is he nuts?!?!

If this is the case, the guy is a pig, look at this numbers....
    However, Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork hears that the Yankees would be happy to agree to a three-year $63MM deal.

I love this....it cant ever be about any one player, and I hope the mentality of the FO is changing...
    At least one person in the Yankees front office wants the team to draw a hard line with Jeter, Matthews reports. Sherman finds it "very possible" that the Yankees will make an offer and tell Jeter to beat it on the open market if he doesn't like it. The Yankees insist that they'll be offering a baseball contract. Yankees president Randy Levine told reporters that Jeter's contract "isn't a licensing deal or commercial rights deal."

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Jeter would be fine with a 4 year deal. Yeah I agree even that is probably too long but it's not like signing him for those years is going to hurt the team if/when they need to sign or trade for a player. They're playing with an unlimited payroll, it's not like if Jeter falls off a cliff and is the worst player in baseball for the next 3 to 4 years that they won't have the money available to make a change.

I agree with everything you're saying but money really isn't an object and you know Jeter is going to be resigned so there's really no use worrying about it. Whatever he gets, he's going to be overpaid in both years and dollar figures. Just be happy it's the Yankees and not Pittsburgh where they can fix a mistake.

11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i would hold the line on three years. i think their strategy is dead on. overpay him for those three years in honor of his lifetime contributions but create a reasonable deadline for him to retire. he's no longer an elite shortstop. he's now a good shortstop who had a great career

12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thats just bad business though, and you dont run a business that way...name one buniness that intentionally make bad choices and prospers...A-Rod's contract is an eyesore, there is no sense is doubling that mistake with another one...3 years is perfect...

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The US Government? Ok just kidding. I'm agreeing with you all I'm saying is is that the Yankees are going to overpay Jeter both in terms of years and dollar figures compared to what his market actually is, thankfully they're one of the few 'businesses' in baseball that can afford to do it and will still be successful.

finyank13 likes this.
  14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    not bad...young arm.....

Yankees Acquire Scott Allen For Juan Miranda

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 18 at 12:02pm CST]
    It's no blockbuster, but Kevin Towers and Brian Cashman made a deal today. The Yankees acquired right-hander Scott Allen from the Diamondbacks for first baseman Juan Miranda, according to a team press release.
    The Diamondbacks chose Allen, 19, in the 11th round of the 2009 draft. In 95 2/3 innings over two seasons, he has a 3.95 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9. He won't figure into the Yankees' big league plans for a while, but Miranda could compete for Arizona's first base job in 2011.
    Miranda, now 27, has played parts of three seasons with the Yankees and has a .253/.330/.458 line in 94 big league plate appearances. With Mark Teixeira at first base and Jorge Posada DHing, the Yankees don't have much room for Miranda, who has a .281/.367/.478 line in 1779 minor league plate appearances. He's out of options, so the D'Backs will have to expose him to waivers to send him to the minor leagues.

15. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I think thats exactly what Cashman will do - initially - hold the line on 3 yrs....but wouldnt be shocked to see it end with 4th year somewhere...team option, player option, or included 4th....but holding the line early is the right way to go.

A young arm has much more potential and value that Juan and playing time. Its worth a shot

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    In other news.....

Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner had a 30-minute conversation with Lou Piniella on Thursday and offered the 67-year-old an open invitation to return to the game in the form of a front-office advisor for the Yanks.

finyank13 likes this.
  17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    This is perfect.....take it Derek, it is generous...as of 2:17 today

Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Yankees are about to offer a three-year, $45 million contract to shortstop Derek Jeter.

Jeter is reportedly hoping for a pact of at least four years and preferably five or six, so we'll have to wait and see if he accepts. All told, it's a very reasonable offer by the Yanks. Jeter is no longer a strong defensive shortstop and batted just .270/.340/.370 over 663 at-bats in 2010. He wouldn't come close to a contract worth $45 million on the open market.

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yankees released RHP Jonathan Albaladejo.

The 28-year-old right-hander has plans to sign with a Japanese team and play out the 2011 season overseas. He posted a gorgeous 1.42 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 82/18 K/BB ratio in 57 relief appearances this year at the Triple-A level but was clearly not part of the Yankees' future.

19. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Yankees have named Larry Rothschild as their new pitching coach, announcing a three-year agreement on Friday.

Rothschild, 56, has joined the Yankees after serving as the Cubs' pitching coach from 2002-10.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101119&content_id=16159624&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The 2011 season will mark Rothschild's 37th season in professional baseball as a player, coach or manager, having served on the coaching staffs of two World Series champions: the 1990 Reds and the '97 Marlins. Rothschild began his coaching career as a roving pitching instructor for the Reds in 1986 before joining the Major League staff as bullpen coach in '90 and then moving to pitching coach in '92.

He served as a roving Minor League pitching instructor for the Braves in 1994 before taking on the role of pitching coach for the Marlins from 1995-97. Rothschild was also the first manager in Tampa Bay history, serving there until 2001.

"Larry will be a welcome addition to our pitching staff," said Yankees general manager Brian Cashman. "He comes with an impressive resume as a former Major League manager and a world champion pitching coach. He has a great reputation with his players, who know they can trust him and rely on him to put them in a position to succeed."Rothschild replaces Dave Eiland, who was dismissed from his pitching-coach position after the season.

Cashman and Girardi interviewed several other choices before selecting Rothschild, including bullpen coach Mike Harkey, Triple-A pitching coach Scott Aldred and Athletics organizational pitching coordinator Gil Patterson.

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Thats a solid signing...I know they wanted Gil Patterson, but that fell though...

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What is baffling Mr. Close is that if not for the New York Yankees, your client, who is a very good baseball player by the way, wouldn't have made 3/4 the total money he has now in his bank account. So lets sign this more than generous deal, get on the podium on the week of Thanksgiving when so many Americans are struggling to make it by day to day, flash that legendary smirk, and say how great it is to be a Yankee.

Derek Jeter's agent, Casey Close, said the Yankees' negotiating strategy during contract talks for his client has been "baffling."

"There's a reason the Yankees themselves have stated Derek Jeter is their modern-day Babe Ruth," Close said. "Derek's significance to the team is much more than just stats. And yet, the Yankees' negotiating strategy remains baffling. They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek's total contribution to their franchise." Publicly, the Yankees are calling the Jeter negotiations purely a baseball deal and not a licensing deal, yet no other team is going to pay Jeter the kind of money they're reportedly going to offer, so what else are they paying for? Despite the apparent lack of progress thus far, there's no way Jeter won't be wearing pinstripes next season and for the rest of his career.

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Not worried about Jeter at all....or Mo really.

Yanks (New Steinbrenner brood) are running it like a business of Sports. They know Championships are what they seek, they are simply also running it like a logical business based on damand. 3yrs @ 15M each for Jeter is fair. However, I can see a 4th yr being added. Dont know if the $$$ needs to go above $15M as $20M is crazy range it seems.

Same with Mo, he seeks 2 yrs @ 18M each. Currently Yanks are looking at 1yr. Partly it would seem to be as leverage to their Jeter cause and not simply cave to demands of Mo over Jeter, etc. Also, I would expect in many ways - especailly from a production standpoint and RETURN VALUE on their investment - it's fact that Rivera means more in the next year or two then Jeter. That said, I expect Mo to get his two years @ $15M each range...and Jeter gets his as well near that range.

for now, its business and a big part of me likes that.

23. Finfangirl

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Yanks playing Hardball with Jeter-

I love it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...=ESPNHeadlines

"We've made an offer and we hope they strongly consider it," Cashman said. "[But] there are things we have concerns with -- his recent performance over the last few years, and his age. And that has to be factored into this negotiation."

Also per KenDavidoff: Andy Pettitte is leaning toward a 2011 return to the #Yankees, according to an industry source.

24. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Playing all threads huh?:tongue2:

Yeah, so far, Cashman has played it cool.....hope it continues. Advise him to play the market, let him know we want him, but the TEAM he is captain of is bigger then him alone. Facts are Facts - championships are what matter, and we do have a Budget regardless if folks want to claim one doesnt exist.

I personally want Andy back, especially if we grab C. Lee....Andy in the #5 slot where he can rest more often would be ideal.

25. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Cashman Encourages Jeter To Test The Market

By Tim Dierkes [November 23 at 2:41pm CST]
    The game of chicken between the Yankees and Derek Jeter continued today, with GM Brian Cashman making the latest move. Cashman told ESPN's Wallace Matthews:
    "We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account. We've encouraged him to test the market and see if there's something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That's the way it works."

On Sunday, Jeter's agent Casey Close told Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News, "The Yankees' negotiating strategy remains baffling. They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek's total contribution to their franchise." To that, Cashman responded:

"I certainly was surprised. There's nothing baffling about our position. We have actually gone directly face to face with Casey and Derek and been very honest and direct. They know exactly where we sit."

Matthews reports the Yankees' offer to be three years and $45MM. Cashman wouldn't confirm that, but did say, "You can write that they have asked for more. More years and more money." Matthews says the Yankees informed Close Monday that they will not be offering arbitration to Jeter. If Jeter does somehow land with another club, he will not come with a draft pick cost.

26. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Pettitte Leaning Toward Returning To Yankees

By Tim Dierkes [November 23 at 2:53pm CST]
    Free agent lefty Andy Pettitte is leaning toward a 2011 return to the Yankees, tweets Ken Davidoff of Newsday. Back on November 11th, Pettitte told Matt Musil of KHOU.com, "Right now, I can tell you my heart's right here in Deer Park, [Texas]."
    In the more immediate future we'll learn if the Yankees will offer arbitration to Pettitte, a Type A free agent. Today GM Brian Cashman told ESPN's Wallace Matthews only one of Pettitte, Derek Jeter, Austin Kearns, and Mariano Rivera is likely to get an offer, and that's Wood. Pettitte was a Type B free agent a year ago and was not offered arbitration by the Yankees.
    Pettitte would add stability to the Yankees' rotation. The 38-year-old lefty posted a 3.28 ERA, 7.0 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 0.9 HR/9, and 43.9% groundball rate in 129 regular season innings this year, missing time with a groin injury.

27. Finfangirl

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Finyank; I put both those links in my above comment above yours

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Great I will send you a medal......

edit....your link doesnt work....when clicked, it reads..."Not Found"

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The bolded is baffling.....he is at this point a singles hitting, 100 run scored player....15 million isnt enough?? I mean I would hate to see him go, but damn he is being kinda of a dick right now....

Yankees Have Offered Jeter Multiple Deals

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 23 at 6:26pm CST]
    Brian Cashman told Newsday's Ken Davidoff that the Yankees have offered Derek Jeter multiple deals and received one counter-offer (Twitter link). One of the deals the Yankees proposed was worth $45MM over three years, but Jeter's representatives didn't seem to like it. Agent Casey Close told Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News that he found the Yankees' negotiating strategy "baffling."
    Earlier today, Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork that Jeter should test the open market if he believes the Yankees aren't offering him fair deals. Now, Cashman tells the Newark Star Ledger that he doubts Jeter truly wants to remain in the Bronx (Twitter link).
    "He should be nothing but a New York Yankee," Cashman said. "He chooses not to be."
    But the Yankees' tough talk may subside eventually; Jon Heyman of SI.com hears on Twitter that the team are likely to offer more than $45MM. If you ask Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Jeter's position in the negotiations is essentially "I am Derek Jeter, pay me."

30. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    SI.com's Jon Heyman has heard that the Yankees are likely going to sweeten their current offer to free agent Derek Jeter.

The Yanks have a generous three-year, $45 million offer on the table for Jeter, but the veteran shortstop thinks he's worth far more and the Yankees may be willing to concede somewhat to put a close to the constant rumors. Jeter batted just .270/.340/.370 in 2010 and played the shortstop position poorly. He should really be happy -- and borderline flattered -- by the Yankees' current proposal, because he wouldn't touch that on the open market.

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Also I believe this, Feinsand is wholly reliable....

According to Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News, the Yankees have not yet made an offer to Cliff Lee.

Feinsand's source refuted the report that New York has offered Lee a six-year deal worth around $140 million. If that's true, the Yankees will assuredly make an official offer at some point in the very near future. Lee, 32, posted a 3.18 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 28 starts in 2010, fanning 185 batters while walking only 18.

33. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, both sides wil come to the center and find the details....I am somewhat surprised both sides are having this play out in the media. I would expect more behind the scenes from Jeter and less letting his mouthspiece paint him in a corner.....Cashman same, he hasnt stepped over the line via the Media, but he is coming closer and closer and wish he would say less.

All in all....it will get worked out. Jeter will be in pinstripes to collect his hits....but 3 or 4 for reasonable 15M to 18M seems right. Who knows.

Yanks will play this just like they did with CC and Tex....make it known to the Agent they are in the game, and basically say find out all you can with other teams but come back to us for final discussion...let leaks happen and just sit back to secure in the end.

I think they are doing this with Crawford as well....2011....Lee and Crawford could very well mimic the CC and Tex signings of 2009.

finyank13 likes this.
  34. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Heard an interesting debate today about Jeter

In 2009, Johnny Damon had a better year than Jeter did this year, and they would not pay him 7 million a year, yet they have offered Jeter more than double that.

I find that a more than fair offer.

35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I cant see anyone thinking 3yrs @ $15M each isnt FAIR for a 37yr old. SS or not!

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Damon isnt Jeter......

The thing is for 3 years I give Derek a blank check and say fill it in......I dont want him for 4 years.....Jeter has made this ballclub ALOT of cash guys....and will make the Yankees ALOT more once he hits 3000 hits...See they were willing to resign A-Rod thinking they were making mega money, once he breaks that record, then things got how do we say "juicy" haah, he hit 600 this year, and it was like nobody cared....

3000 hits is the last pure true milestone, and it is going to be broken, by a ballplayer that IS baseball......America will get behind this....so you have to compensate the man for that, but....

37. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    What is Jeter now? he is not a good SS anymore (Still can't believe he won the gold glove), he is an average hitter.

You can argue he was over payed his whole career, I believe I saw over the past 10 years he is second to only A-Rod in salary owned. There are a lot of better players than Jeter.

I really think the Yankees are doing him a favor offering 15 mil, Colin (The Herd) asked 7 GM's what he is worth and they all said less than 7 Million a year.

38. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I was shocked to read that he's not taking 15 million a year. Just because the Yankees have a deep wallet doesn't mean they want to just throw it away. They have all of the leverage here. NYers might not be happy if Jeter somehow didn't return but I can't imagine there will be any less fans in the seats come April. Why on Earth is Jeter trying to get more money than that? It's hard to respect that.

39. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont think either side has offiicially been offered or declined...its early. Let it play out and see how it ends up. Neither side is directly speaking...its all via Media and not direct. So who knows if its $$$ or years, or something else.

40. Finfangirl

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    finyank; you're an a**; i was just telling you that we didnt need to keep reporting the same info within the thread. I dont need a medal or a trophy, just trying to keep the thread clean....