***Official 2011 New York Yankees Thread***
879 replies
I had heard and read from a few people that Yankee catching prospect Gary Sanchez's defense has been awful this year. I looked up some of his numbers and the guy has 26(!) passed balls in 52 games with 74 stole bases against out of 106 attempts (granted not really fair to judge since they could have been the pitcher's fault for them) but wow. To go along with getting suspended by the team twice for attitude problems he's not having the best year even at the plate. But on the brightside he's still only 18 years old. But figured I'd pass that information along.
"Ray Finkle wrote:
I had heard and read from a few people that Yankee catching prospect Gary Sanchez's defense has been awful this year. I looked up some of his numbers and the guy has 26(!) passed balls in 52 games with 74 stole bases against out of 106 attempts (granted not really fair to judge since they could have been the pitcher's fault for them) but wow. To go along with getting suspended by the team twice for attitude problems he's not having the best year even at the plate. But on the brightside he's still only 18 years old. But figured I'd pass that information along.
yeah I saw that as well, 18 years old though is so young....hell Jeter had 30+ plus errors in the minors on year, and he turned out to be a pretty darn good fielding SS.....
now this gets me interested...wonder who they would send down, maybe Cervilli? I am all for it though, like Rizzo bring the 21 year old up, seeing some major league pitching, if he does bad ehhhh send him down again, but at least he will be hungry and want more....You have to think Fink, guys like Rizzo, and Montero all they hear is "cant miss" yada yada, so the complacency factor sets in especially being so young....at least if they get whitewashed in the Show, they need to know what they have to work on...Rizzo's stock didn't dip at all because he hit .160 or whatever, I say bring the kids up..!!
According to the Trenton Times, Yankees prospect Jesus Montero could be promoted "in the very near future."
Montero has posted a somewhat disappointing .283/.342/.429 batting line in 84 games this season at the Triple-A level, but the Yankees love his power potential and apparently feel that he's nearly ready to contribute to the major league lineup. The 21-year-old would likely split time between DH and catcher. He slugged 21 homers in the minors last year and has 10 big flies this season.
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
yeah I saw that as well, 18 years old though is so young....hell Jeter had 30+ plus errors in the minors on year, and he turned out to be a pretty darn good fielding SS.....
now this gets me interested...wonder who they would send down, maybe Cervilli? I am all for it though, like Rizzo bring the 21 year old up, seeing some major league pitching, if he does bad ehhhh send him down again, but at least he will be hungry and want more....You have to think Fink, guys like Rizzo, and Montero all they hear is "cant miss" yada yada, so the complacency factor sets in especially being so young....at least if they get whitewashed in the Show, they need to know what they have to work on...Rizzo's stock didn't dip at all because he hit .160 or whatever, I say bring the kids up..!!
Jeter being a pretty darn good fielding SS is highly debatable.
As for Montero getting called up, I'd only call him up now if he was going to play everyday. It would be silly to have him lose development time by sitting on the bench and playing once or twice a week. My question is where is he going to play? The only place he realistically can fill in is at the DH position (he's not a MLB everyday catcher), so are the Yankees willing to bench Posada in favor of Montero? And if so will Posada be a team player and take the demotion like a man? I mean Posada has been pretty useless this year so the Yankees might as well try Montero there and give him 200 or so MLB at bats before the playoffs. Montero's stock has taken a bit of a hit as he hasn't really hit well this year after repeating at the Triple A level but again he's still so young that the power can still be developing.
If I were the Yankees and I thought he's ready they might as well give him a look, I'm not sure if Cevelli has any options left but he'd be the obvious one getting sent down to the minors as Montero could probably fake a game or two behind the plate if Martin needed a breather. I'm not one to rush the kids up at the MLB just to do it, I need to feel that they're MLB ready. I'll be honest I'm shocked Montero is still a Yankee right now so they might as well give him a shot.
"Ray Finkle wrote:
Jeter being a pretty darn good fielding SS is highly debatable.
As for Montero getting called up, I'd only call him up now if he was going to play everyday. It would be silly to have him lose development time by sitting on the bench and playing once or twice a week. My question is where is he going to play? The only place he realistically can fill in is at the DH position (he's not a MLB everyday catcher), so are the Yankees willing to bench Posada in favor of Montero? And if so will Posada be a team player and take the demotion like a man? I mean Posada has been pretty useless this year so the Yankees might as well try Montero there and give him 200 or so MLB at bats before the playoffs. Montero's stock has taken a bit of a hit as he hasn't really hit well this year after repeating at the Triple A level but again he's still so young that the power can still be developing.
If I were the Yankees and I thought he's ready they might as well give him a look, I'm not sure if Cevelli has any options left but he'd be the obvious one getting sent down to the minors as Montero could probably fake a game or two behind the plate if Martin needed a breather. I'm not one to rush the kids up at the MLB just to do it, I need to feel that they're MLB ready. I'll be honest I'm shocked Montero is still a Yankee right now so they might as well give him a shot.
Well in terms of the point I think he was making regarding errors, Jeter's a top 20 SS all time in Fielding%. Granted, I know that's not the be all end all for a complete defencive game, but if his point was Jeter stopped booting the ball all over the place, it makes sense.
Montero did have a good July, so at least he seems to be putting it together again. Posada has been sitting a bit more, but I find it hard to believe that they'd still find enough time for Montero and avoid Posada having a fit.
Cervelli I think has this year as his last option year, and would be the guy to go down I think. The fact Montero has to be added to the 40 man this offseason means it's only a matter of time until he's up.


Good news...
A
lex Rodriguez (knee) is set to resume baseball activities Thursday in Tampa, Florida
.
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Machiavelli wrote:
Well in terms of the point I think he was making regarding errors, Jeter's a top 20 SS all time in Fielding%. Granted, I know that's not the be all end all for a complete defencive game, but if his point was Jeter stopped booting the ball all over the place, it makes sense.
Montero did have a good July, so at least he seems to be putting it together again. Posada has been sitting a bit more, but I find it hard to believe that they'd still find enough time for Montero and avoid Posada having a fit.
Cervelli I think has this year as his last option year, and would be the guy to go down I think. The fact Montero has to be added to the 40 man this offseason means it's only a matter of time until he's up.
Exactly I am talking as a whole, not this year or last.....Jeter throughout his career has been a good defensive player, not Omar, or Ozzie, but good, and any team would take what he has done....for every ball Jeter hasnt gotten to in terms of on the ground, he has made up for it with in the air....he was very good at running out to the outfield back towards home, and snagging the in between bloops....thats all I was saying was he went from playing soccer with the ball to a pretty good defensive SS throughout the years..
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Ray Finkle wrote:
Jeter being a pretty darn good fielding SS is highly debatable.
As for Montero getting called up, I'd only call him up now if he was going to play everyday. It would be silly to have him lose development time by sitting on the bench and playing once or twice a week. My question is where is he going to play? The only place he realistically can fill in is at the DH position (he's not a MLB everyday catcher), so are the Yankees willing to bench Posada in favor of Montero? And if so will Posada be a team player and take the demotion like a man? I mean Posada has been pretty useless this year so the Yankees might as well try Montero there and give him 200 or so MLB at bats before the playoffs. Montero's stock has taken a bit of a hit as he hasn't really hit well this year after repeating at the Triple A level but again he's still so young that the power can still be developing.
If I were the Yankees and I thought he's ready they might as well give him a look, I'm not sure if Cevelli has any options left but he'd be the obvious one getting sent down to the minors as Montero could probably fake a game or two behind the plate if Martin needed a breather. I'm not one to rush the kids up at the MLB just to do it, I need to feel that they're MLB ready. I'll be honest I'm shocked Montero is still a Yankee right now so they might as well give him a shot.
Was it silly for Rizzo to come up and lose development time? Some clubs do it as a reward for doing a decent job on the farm, me personally I am all for bringing a kid up and giving him a little taste, like I said it should make them more hungry for more.
I think they would play him at DH, and not put the pressure on at catching right away. But with Yanks being 7 games up on the WC and 1 back of the division, they have the luxury of even playing him at catcher every once in a while. And lets make no mistake Fink, Posada needs to at this point STFU okay, he needs to realize he hasnt done or isnt doing sh*t this year, he needs to realize he is gone after this year, he needs to realize they are moving on without him after this year, he needs to realize the run is over, and deal with it like a professional....to me his legacy will be judged on how much he acts like a bitch or doesn't in the last few months...I could care less one bit what Jorge Posada "thinks" or how he "takes it", New York is trying to win a WS here, you have to do what's best for the team...
As for being shocked I am not, and I am glad Cashman is continuing the trend of not giving up good prospects in trash trades....Now we don't know the deals to the letter and what deals GM's had going on, but there wasn't one deal IMO that should have involved Monterio besides the Jiminez deal, and I am glad they didn't pull that trigger...frankly there wasn't A) anybody actually out there good enough in a trade, and B) again everybody was asking for Monterio in every trade...Time to be realistic folks....
In case people missed it to, I wish Nunez learns how to play defensive better, because that kid might turn out to be something, above avg stick, very good speed....good size...he scored STANDING UP from 1st base the other day on a ball hit into the rightfield corner which was played cleanly but the outfielder...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
They put Posada, Soriano, and Burnett on waivers.....Posada I totally get, Soriano ehhh why not you never know?...but Burnett I don't get...
http://www.newyorkpost.com/p/sports/yankees/burnett_posada_on_trade_waivers_ma4W008o25uRH82U8quPjM
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
It's commonplace this time of year, everyone will go on waivers just to keep options open. If they get claimed, and likely will, they'll be pulled back.
Though personally, I'd dump Burnett if someone claimed him and either move Noesi back into the rotation or promote Warren.


"finyank13 wrote:
Was it silly for Rizzo to come up and lose development time? Some clubs do it as a reward for doing a decent job on the farm, me personally I am all for bringing a kid up and giving him a little taste, like I said it should make them more hungry for more.
I think they would play him at DH, and not put the pressure on at catching right away. But with Yanks being 7 games up on the WC and 1 back of the division, they have the luxury of even playing him at catcher every once in a while. And lets make no mistake Fink, Posada needs to at this point STFU okay, he needs to realize he hasnt done or isnt doing sh*t this year, he needs to realize he is gone after this year, he needs to realize they are moving on without him after this year, he needs to realize the run is over, and deal with it like a professional....to me his legacy will be judged on how much he acts like a bitch or doesn't in the last few months...I could care less one bit what Jorge Posada "thinks" or how he "takes it", New York is trying to win a WS here, you have to do what's best for the team...
As for being shocked I am not, and I am glad Cashman is continuing the trend of not giving up good prospects in trash trades....Now we don't know the deals to the letter and what deals GM's had going on, but there wasn't one deal IMO that should have involved Monterio besides the Jiminez deal, and I am glad they didn't pull that trigger...frankly there wasn't A) anybody actually out there good enough in a trade, and B) again everybody was asking for Monterio in every trade...Time to be realistic folks....
In case people missed it to, I wish Nunez learns how to play defensive better, because that kid might turn out to be something, above avg stick, very good speed....good size...he scored STANDING UP from 1st base the other day on a ball hit into the rightfield corner which was played cleanly but the outfielder...
Rizzo didn't lose any development time because he played nearly every game while he was up at the MLB level. I think if you asked Jed Hoyer he probably would have preferred to keep Rizzo down in the minors a little longer but Rizzo was just destroying Triple A pitching so it kind of forced his hand. My point on Montero was if the Yankees are going to bring him up he better play 5 or 6 games a week or it will be a waste or both a roster spot (since he can only catcher or DH) and taking at bats away from him.
"finyank13 wrote:
They put Posada, Soriano, and Burnett on waivers.....Posada I totally get, Soriano ehhh why not you never know?...but Burnett I don't get...
http://www.newyorkpost.com/p/sports/yankees/burnett_posada_on_trade_waivers_ma4W008o25uRH82U8quPjM
Every MLB team puts every player on waivers in August for a few reasons:
1. To unload a high paid player to simply get rid of the salary(i.e. when the White Sox took Alex Rios' contract off of Toronto's hands)
2. To see which teams put claims in for which players in case the teams want to explore trade options in the future (for example if the Yankees see Minnesota likes Brett Gardner maybe the Yankees will go to the Twins in the offseason and offer Gardner in a trade for someone the Yankees like that the Twins have)
3. To mask which players teams want to push through and clear waivers so they can make unrestricted moves (for example the Yankees really want to trade Bartolo Colon but know if they put him on waivers by himself teams would know the Yankees want him gone so the Yankees will put Colon and a bunch of other players on waivers at the same time so other teams won't know what the Yankees strategy is and the Yankees are hoping maybe Colon's name will be overlooked if there are 5 or 6 other players grouped with him).
4. Teams that were in the race on July 31st that fall out of the race want to make some moves.
Hope that helps as again it's totally common. Jeter, Sabathia, Rivera, Arod, Teixeira, Cano will all be put on waivers this month but it doesn't mean anything.
It is a start.....still want to see more quality on his secondary pitches...
YankeeSource Yankees
July 6th: Hughes vs. Indians. 4th inning 4-seam FB velocity: 91,91,90,92,91,90,91. Tonight 4th:92,93,92,93,93,94 #Yankees
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
Somebody dropping dimes on A-Rod.....ugh the villian...
According to Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com, MLB is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in illegal, underground poker games.
RadarOnline.com and Star magazine recently published a report claiming A-Rod "played in an underground, illegal poker game where cocaine was openly used." One of the games nearly turned violent after one of the players refused to pay after losing "more than a half-million dollars." Wallace was told by one MLB executive that A-Rod could be suspended if his involvement in the game is confirmed. "We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," the source said. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play." When asked about the story on Wednesday, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Matthews that he has no knowledge of the investigation.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6830659/mlb-looking-alex-rodriguez-illegal-poker
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
Thata boy Jete don't listen to the haters saying you finished....:shifty:
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Jt0323 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6833332
I agree 100%
So he was playing poker with Matt Damon, and Ben Affleck huh?.....smooth, the villain is getting them to join the dark side...
Thing is JT, baseball is VERRRRRRRY strict on gambling....Canseco even said it, people would be roiding up IN THE LOCKER ROOM, but nobody was playing cards for money, cuz it is strictly enforced...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
I bet Affleck and Damon ratted him out! Perfect plan for Red Sox Fan. Also I know baseball is very strict on gambling but if hes not gambling on the sport I don't see a problem. You can't stop an athlete from going to a casino in Vegas playing craps or poker unless its in their contract. Granted this was an illegal game but still I don't see it as a big deal. And like Cowherd said if he lost big it would not affect his play or make him throw a game because he can make it back in a day.
Nova was great. I don't know how you can send him down. Yankees are in a good situation by having great pitching minus AJ. BTW I was glad Dunn got a HR. I hope he finds his swing again. I feel bad for him
"Jt0323 wrote:
I bet Affleck and Damon ratted him out! Perfect plan for Red Sox Fan. Also I know baseball is very strict on gambling but if hes not gambling on the sport I don't see a problem. You can't stop an athlete from going to a casino in Vegas playing craps or poker unless its in their contract. Granted this was an illegal game but still I don't see it as a big deal. And like Cowherd said if he lost big it would not affect his play or make him throw a game because he can make it back in a day.
This. It's a joke, who cares. MLB has more important things to worry about like the number of DUIs from their players.
"Jt0323 wrote:
He even got a hand from the Chicago crowd....Nova was great. I don't know how you can send him down. Yankees are in a good situation by having great pitching minus AJ. BTW I was glad Dunn got a HR. I hope he finds his swing again. I feel bad for him
yeah honestly Nova has shown me something this year, even in the beginning when he was getting hit around a little bit, he hasnt given up, he has battled all year, I like the kid's resolve and he can only get better...if AJ doesnt shape the hell up I want him in the BP....
oh well boys and girls even Steve going into tonight, come on guys think maybe you can win a few against this team....remove them for your head because they are so far in it.....
mindblogging to think that if the yanks go 4-5 instead of 1-8 against them so far, they would be 3 up...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
mindblogging to think that if the yanks go 4-5 instead of 1-8 against them so far, they would be 3 up...
Exactly....every recent year has been a similar pattern in the H2H match up. Start off real slow, dropping the majority, however hang in the Div race regardless, only to jump on the gas pedal in the later match ups to basically split the season series and increase Div lead. And as they get even steven as you say, Yanks fan think to them selves how much cushion they could have had if they didnt drop so many early H2H matchups. But would prefer it this way if in the end its a split...catch them by playing the better late ball.
Tonight was nice start...2-8 now in the season series!
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
CC didnt step up, nor the clutch bats, so back to 2-9 H2H. Tonight is a tone setter for the RoS; perhaps! at minimum for the rubber match of this series.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
Love these commercials
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e57dlq7ZA4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjmvsc22OFw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=936g5zpgt5o
"finyank13 wrote:
mindblogging to think that if the yanks go 4-5 instead of 1-8 against them so far, they would be 3 up...
Yeah but if the Sox never went 0-10 or what ever it was, they would be up on us right now.