1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Even if the Yankees gave the White Sox money and paid all of Burnett's contract it still wouldn't make sense. The White Sox need prospects back, not a headcase pitcher in his 30s.

As for Nunez, I don't know, I mean he really doesn't have a future with the Yankees as they're locked into long term deals in the infield. I think he has a shot at being a very good bench player but I don't see him as a star or starter for them.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Mike Gonzo has one of the worst CONTROL problems (including beaning NYY Chris Dickerson last season) he would scare the bejeebeers out of me (unless he beaned many Red Sox hitters). Unless he gets that under control we couldnt trust him in key spot out of the pen.

If Feliciano is fully recovered, he and Boone Logan are two quality LOOGY's.

Now, Gio Gonzo would be fun to explore for rotation as lefty....also, its why I want to see Manny B even before Dellin B. cracking the staff.

Will wait to see if we work out contract...he is 29 so he would have to be ready to go immediately and accept back up UTILITY role. How many others from Japan have jumped ship to be a UTILITY player?

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Gio isnt a #2 man....but would be solid #3 or #4 for AL East....

Simple rotation of...

CC
    Nova
    Gio
    Hughes
    Killer B battle or Noesi would be fine in any combo with Hughes even.

I wouldnt put CC and another Lefty back to back so no need to view Gio as #2. And as far as trusting him in playoffs...whats the difference come playoff time you go with the Arms that best put you in position and if that is or isnt Gio so be it...its not about Contract value anymore than it was with AJ and whether the situation would have allowed him to be skipped, etc.

P.S. I always felt your weakest/youngest/riskyest arm should be #4 as you #5 man has a great chance to face #1 as days get skipped and rain outs, etc.

Hughes as #5 and the winner of the Killer B's or Noesi as #4 is perfect situation.

finyank13 likes this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I like Noesi too.....he needs a shot...

6. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

And now Garcia officially in the mix. Cashman has said, he wants a minimum of 7 Starters based on injuries, etc. So I can see Garcia coming out of Spring Training, but by mid season, I see one if not both of the B's cracking the rotation mix.

Also, questions will surround AJ and his future all through ST for sure.

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    http://riveraveblues.com/2011/12/repeating-history-with-yu-darvish-60892/

good read, and I disagree with the writers wish about pursuing Darvish, and frankly not surprised but still very glad Cashman didnt agree either. I am happy it seems Toronto will overpay. All in all the listing of expected arms available next off season is the smart way to play it. And that doesnt include the most likely scenario of working a trade with Seattle for the King!

I think the over-hype of the japan experience only 25yr old Darvish is clear by labeling him in the category of MLB dominant J. Santana at 28.

8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Not shocked and expected really, and not upset they posted $2M (which they get back with no deal) to determine its pointless if Nakajima doesnt want to accept backup Utility role. Reality is, thats what he is from NYY standpoint, so just stick with Nunez for now, or upgrade another way if Nunez cant hack it.

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Well our staff just improved big time....
    Congrats to B. Cashman to pull this move(s) off.....Kuroda and Pineda...wow. Jack Z. did decide to make a move....granted not King Felix....but love it really.

I agree with much of this - both clubs should feel good:

• "The risk for both clubs is low. The reward for both clubs is outstanding. This could be a transformational deal that will have fans of both clubs buzzing about for a long time," writes MLB.com's Bernie Pleskoff.
    • Replacing pitching via minor leaguers or the free agent market is far easier than attracting top-caliber hitters in Seattle, notes MLB.com's Greg Johns.
    • Mike Salk of ESPN 710 Radio in Seattle outlines the reasons why he "loves" the deal for the Mariners. Also from Salk (on Twitter), he hears from "a non-M's baseball guy" who believes Noesi is a better long-term option than Pineda.
    • The trade makes the Yankees the favorites in the AL East, writes Scott Miller of CBSSports.com. Miller talks to two scouts who rave about the Yankees' sudden surplus of young pitching that also includes Dellin Betances and Manny Banuelos.
    • Dave Cameron of the U.S.S. Mariner blog sees Montero as developing into a Carlos Lee-type of hitter who is productive but not quite a superstar. Cameron thinks the deal will look better for the Mariners if they were to sign a free agent starter like Roy Oswalt or Edwin Jackson, since then the team would have Montero's bat plus a pitcher that could match Pineda's production.
    • Yankees GM Brian Cashman feels he took a "huge risk" with the trade, reports The Record's Bob Klapisch (via Twitter). "I gave up a ton (for Pineda)," Cashman said. "To me, Montero is Mike Piazza. He's Miguel Cabrera."
    • "Some execs from other AL East teams believe Yankees just made an incredible trade," tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
    • The two teams were "talking for weeks" about the deal, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link). Each side told the other that they had limited funds to address their needs.
    • The Yankees initially tried to acquire Felix Hernandez from the Mariners, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter) and were willing to offer a package that included Montero, Betances, Banuelos and more.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    plus....Betances (23) and Banuelos (20).....my, oh, my!.

Wow, these, plus others = deep Staff......insurance for injuries and down years.

Pick your 5 SP out of these 7 (which doesnt even include the two B's (one of which should crack staff this year) or Campos even (who is probably 2 full seasons away)

Burnett, Garcia, Hughes, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda, and Sabathia

for me:

1) CC
    2) Pineda
    3) Kuroda or Nova
    4) Nova or Kuroda
    5) ??? Garcia (until injured or magic dust washes away?) or Burnett gets pissed and just throws all out (until traded/released)?? Even, Hughes perhaps if he is really in shape and ready to go hard, but heck even if sent to the pen that only helps those stacked arms too!

Seriously, crazy # of quality arms (starting and pen) with Age/Experience and now serious Youth depth...a really great mix for next few years.

want a 2nd Lefty on the staff, but can show patience and let it happen when ready (Banuelos), vs. force/rush it out of desperation.

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So, remaining question is really semi-rotational DH position (would guess leaning toward a Lefty over Righty (especially with A. Jones signed)...but names like J. Damon or C. Pena, or even V. Guerrero are being tossed around.

Have to be prepared give Arod time off....same with Jeter now and again, Cano and Tex too. (Nunez and Pena as IF utility)

I think Damon could fit the bill the best...but who knows.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    At the end of the day if trying to find someone to DH is the biggest problem the Yankees have they're in pretty good shape. I bet you'll see the Yankees sign Eric Chavez and maybe Johnny Damon (I can't see them signing Pena as a lot of his value comes from his plus defense at 1B). They way you can have Chavez and Nunez play 3B when you want to give Arod a half day off and have Andruw Jones to DH against a LHP. It really doesn't matter who the Yankees have to DH, that offense is going to score tons of runs to begin with.

finyank13 likes this.
  13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yup, small problem to have.....regarding Pena, remember, the Yankees put in a waiver claim on Pena in August but the Cubs pulled him back.

I still think Damon would be best fit, but its really a platoon DH situation when facing a Righty or pinch-hitting and breather at bats, etc.

I dont think Chavez is needed really...dont know if we re-sign him.

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    My thoughts....

-Cashman is building a rotation, or is trying to that resembled the dynasty years of the 90's, all guys somewhat young, and around for a long time....I like they he is focusing on pitching, as it will carry you....
    -I dont think they get a trade done for Burnett this year, because ANY deal is going to require the Yankees eating a large portion of the salary, and I dont see Cash doing it for 2 years, so I expect he does it next year, or he burns some team into eating the salary...(very doubtful)
    -If Garcia wins the 5th spot which as Fink eluded too before I think he will cuz the Yanks are down on Hughes and rightfully so, their bullpen is going to be very good once again....I can only picture Sori being better which means they will all be better...and with Joba coming back, add Hughes in for an inning here and there, and you have a lot of guys throwing heat...

-To me and you guys are going to kill me on this, but their hitting isnt getting it done, and it hasnt the past few years.....again NY needs guys who when push come to shove and the sh#t gets thick and the pressure is on, they get hits...and they dont have it....I call them OBP guys, not power guys, basically guys like the Sox have....no 35-45, 140 RBI guys but guys with .310 batting avg, even stats across the board, high RISP avg, low K guys.....

Everybody except Cano and Gardy to me fit this mold, when the game is on the line, A-Rod, Tex, Swish, who are relied on to be the biggest suppliers often wilt...

Ironice they just traded a guy away who seemed like he could hit in all situations...not just for power...in the post-roid era..power numbers are overated, give me a guy who gets 50 doubles and bats .320 any day over a guy with 45 HR's and 245 avg...IMO..

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Oh crap lastly as far as DH is concerned.....I would like to see 2 things....

--If they go FA route, get Damon...the guys will be energized to play once again and bat .280 and get on base...Carlos Pen is the LAST guy I want for the above stated post, the Yanks dont need another .230 hitter who hits nothing but home runs and stikes out a ton...

--Damon cant do it all himself, so fill him him with match-ups like Jones, and Chavez (hopefully they sign him), but mainly Nunez...

--Nunez needs to play alot this year, I believe he will get better at the plate, and between A-Rod, and Jeter he will get alot of time in the field.....not to mention the Yanks need to see just what they have with him cuz Jeter's time is coming soon....

16. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    I have on good authority that the yanks are sniffing around the Angels for Trumbo. They've requested medicals on him and apparently dave robertson is the return piece......

17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    crazy to think about Pineda (23), Betances (23), Benuelos (20), and Campos (19) and Nova (25) or Hughes (25) youth

Burnett is a luxury they can do what they want with....reasonable 5th arm insurance now. Who knows if he turns his career around, gets jettisoned...it doesnt matter, he is an pawn that can be moved around the chessboard.

Hughes is similar luxury, and I am in the camp that says guys like Garcia and Colon are roll the dice and come up POINT or CRAPs....but hardly ever two POINTS made in a row, and far more likely to have a CRAPs follow right after the POINT was made. So 2012 is not something you bank on with Garcia following the POINT he made in 2011. Thus, Burnett, Hughes, B's are perfect insurance. If some miracle keeps Hughes in Pen to go along with our LOOGY's, Robertson, Soriano, Mo, and thus not having to RUSH Joba back earlier than medically necessary...another perfect situation to be in.

Not really going to lose sleep over the approach our lineup takes to scoring runs (league leaders) and claim not getting it done, and clutch hitting vs POWER display debate.

Damon would be fun mix back in the lineup....rotational DH is only hitting side question...thus, no concern at all really to go back and forth on your view of Arod, Tex, and Swish.

Trading away Montero (who may or may not be who you think) is small concern with the improvement to the arms and what that will do to TAKE AWAY any perceived pressure the lineup had come playoff time.

Adding these two arms (Pineda and Kuroda) may be the BEST OFFENSE we could have added or retained to help the lineup....2012 will be fun. I am not going to freakout over clutch hitting, vs working the count and seeing power stroke produce the winning runs.

I am going to enjoy what I think based on HEALTH will be a DEEP and DOMINATING rotation, and SHUTDOWN bullpen....and our bats will hold their own and be what we need to win our 28th Championship in 2012!!!!!!

It really is a great 25 man mix....and our Farm System reserves will get key tastes of pinstripe spotlight and set up the next decade. I agree, Cashman pulled it off.

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Damon makes sense as Lefty DH platoon and excitement/production/clubhouse.....Jones and Nunez and Pena are solid...dont think we need Chavez but will see what direction takes us.

19. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Not buying it.....doesnt make sense.

FFG - can you confirm if DR is requested return piece, or if he was the offered return piece.

still doesnt make sense and would be shocked to hear this materialize as is (Injured 1B Trumbo, for setup stud?)...what would compel Yanks to make that move?

20. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Richard Justice nails it.....
    What NL rotation besides Phillies are in the conversation? Still Yanks have best bullpen regardless.

Now, we ARE NOT a dream team, and we ARE NOT guaranteed anything in 2012......its going to be fun to see what is accomplished though.

Stay healthy, and the rest will take care of itself.

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'd do back flips if that happened. There's no way Cashman would trade Robertson (one of the best RPers in baseball last year) for Mark ".291 OBP" Trumbo. Wait what am I saying? Cashman you got to do that deal, come on Trumbo hit 29 home runs last year and is only 25 years old. DO IT!

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Braves have a pretty good rotation, the Giants 1-3 are pretty good but they have a poor 4 & 5. Yankees definitely have a top 5 pitching staff on paper right now.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You hush!!!! :tantrum:

P.S. in house DH option (righty not lefty however)...?????

24. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca

Requested piece. loosing steam though due to the Yanks not liking Trumbo's injury

makes sense because the angels/yanks see trumbo as a possble 3rd baseman

25. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, requested by Angles makes sense....however, agreed by or offered from Yanks side, doubtful....hope they do move off it.....better 3B options exist vs giving up Robertson.

Sorry, it makes sense from Angles side for sure......not so much from Yanks however....just do not see him as 3B option.

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Seems like a 4A player to me. 29 years old, stuck out 166 times in 118 games with a .314 OBP. Can't see him doing much of anything at the MLB level as big league pitchers would eat him alive. Plus I've heard he's strictly a DH, as he is an absolute mess in the field.

I really don't think Trumbo is seriously considered a 3B option as he was a poor fielding 1B to begin with. I think the Angels were just saying he would be their 3B to try to boost his trade value. Again though his poor plate approach and bad defense really hurts his value no matter how much power he has.

27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    He may be 4A for sure....and if he was a Lefty, I think he would have a better chance.....ST will be his shot.

Agree about Trumbo, but more importantly agree about Robertson...just no way Cashman earns all the cred he has over the past few years (including this recent trade for Pineda) and randomly blows all that out of the water by trading Robertson for Trumbo....illogical for sure.

Anyway, still think the Lefty DH platoon will be a decision of who to sign out of Damon, Chavez, or Pena. Damon seems like a fun gamble....but Chavez can play 3B and spell Arod and may offer more return on investment....really, if you asked me, I think Pena has to be the longest shot (even though he can spell Tex @ 1B - so can Swisher) for what his bat can provide.

The question with Chavez is how much do Yanks brass want to roll the dice with Nunez and R. Pena (L) as IF utility...and if Jones and Dickerson(L)/Maxwell can man the OF replacement rotation in addition to any DH duties.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think the Yankees like Nunez enough that they wouldn't mind if he had to play 50 plus games or so this year filling in for Arod/Jeter/Cano. I don't think Ramiro Pena is a real option besides an emergency starter or coming in during blow out games.

As for OF, I'd think the Yankees would like to have an upgrade over Dickerson or Maxwell as a 5th OFer type though.

29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The big question is if that will be STARTER money, or BULLPEN money (or trade candidate). If he comes into ST fully fit and in shape....he could dominate out of the 5th spot.

This battle between Hughes, Burnett, and Garcia (not even including Betances or Banuelos potentially forcing the clubs hands) in ST will be very fun and interesting to watch unfold.

30. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Remaining arbitration eligible players: Boone Logan, Brett Gardner, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, and Russell Martin

31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    If I see numbers I will post them....

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I can't believe the guy used to eat 1 box of cereal for breakfast each morning, that's insane.

Seriously though, I wonder if the weight loss will help or hurt him performance wise. I know people suggested the reason why he struggled at the end of the year last year was because he put on weight but he had a lot of success pitching overweight. A lot of times you hear about teams wanting pitchers to actually put on weight so they don't wear down at the end of the year.

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah right diabetic much? lol....

but he did this l;ast year too Fink, and BLEW up as the year went on....and actually IMO suffered for it at the end of last year...wonder what the stats are for him, from Mid-August on, he could even pitch one inning in Game 5 w/o giving up a run....however he is the horse and we ride him to the end....

he just needs to lay off the buffett table during the season!!

38. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I would tend to agree on any other prototypical SP, however CC is such a big body @ 6'7"(amazing how similar Pineda is from Righthanded side also 6'7") but CC has 30lbs more carrying around than Pineda (290 to 260 per MLB listed weight).

I think CC carrying less pounds wont impact negatively as you state compared to other SP bodies where they try to get them to maintain or add as the season wears on. If his diet has improved, and as long as his range of motion is still there, and cardio even more than strength, he can survive the rigors of the full season (including post season).

CC in the 260-275lb probably can maintain his motion, arm slot, and not compensate from dropped weight based on his frame.

Will be fun to see those two big bodies go back-to-back during the season....mirror images.....that will overwhelm most bats/lineups each night.

finyank13 likes this.
  39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Google is your friend, but so am I so here you go:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=sabatc.01&year=2011&t=p

Looking at it quickly, he had a bad August, but he also had a bad June. The big thing that sticks out to me is that he gave up 9 HRs in August, that probably had a lot to do with his problems. I'd say it looks more like a fluke month than anything else. He was possibly gassed at that point.

Yeah I would probably ask him to lose weight, he is a big guy and although he has had past success pitching overweight I'd worry about the toll it would take on his knees and back.

finyank13 likes this.
  40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010