1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think the Yankees would be happy if Arod played 130 games between 3B and DH this year. And because of Arod's declining health, I think it was the biggest reason Montero was moved. I think the Yankees biggest fear is he becomes what happened to Mike Lowell after he got his hip surgery which was a shell of his former self who could barely move and they're stuck with him for what 6 or 7 more years?

2. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

Name them?

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I know the guy on the left is Bobby Murcer

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    finyank13 likes this.
  4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    yeah followed by Billy Joel, forgot the other dude, and Guidry.....

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    only Martin, and Logan left I think...

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    as expected...question is.....

Hall?

7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I am fine with this approach as Cashman once again can play any angle and really is in the drivers seat from depth of arms, and plenty of FA DH types to fill a small need. Nothing to panic over.....if he lands a young solid hitter great....otherwise its a 1 yr signing for a PLATOON DH role. Most likely to sign a Lefty to go opposite Righty A. Jones...but who knows with a guy like Vlad out there...but Ibanez, Matsui, Damon would all fit the temporary LH role.

If he gets a nibble for AJ so be it.....maybe AJ goes balls-to-the-walls come ST and earns his paycheck as rotation guy...Maybe Hughes does...so be it...dealing from excess for a small need (but trying to fill it with a LONG TERM young player via TRADE is a great idea).

finyank13 likes this.
  8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Boarder line guy. My gut says no. But I could see it going either way, with him being completely underrated and forgotten in future years or getting the popular vote because he won a bunch of championships. The real question is (trying to put any Yankee bias aside) when you were watching him play did you ever think "Posada is going to be a HOFer"? I think the guy had a great career and if I were a minor league catcher I'd sign up right now to have a career half as good as Posada's but I don't think I just don't see him as a HOFer.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yes I did, many times frankly as the years and accounting stats were piling up...let alone the Championships. I really dont know how Boarderline he should be viewed quite honestly,.....(certainly Yanks will retire #20)....fact is, Posada is the one of the best hitting Catchers (clearly switch-hitting too) in the history of the great game...he did something in 2007 with a hitting stat line that no other Catcher had ever assembled in a single season, he caught a lot of games (including Perfect game). Lots of key at bats, lots of Championships as the batterymate to solid arms over the years. Part of the Core-4 forever (Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, and Posada).

Would think he stacks up very, very, nicely with other Catchers in the HoF, and just wouldnt be shocked to see his name on a plaque in those hallowed hallways.

The Yankees noted in announcing the news conference that, of the 14 former catchers currently enshrined in the Hall of Fame, only Yankees legend Yogi Berra posted higher marks in all three Triple Crown categories of batting average, home runs and RBIs.

I look at it this way: Posada is one of only five players in baseball history to record at least 1,500 hits, 350 doubles, 275 homers and 1,000 RBIs while playing at least half of his games behind the plate.

finyank13 likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    For the modern stat folks....consider this:

Among all the catchers in baseball history Posada is 12th in Wins Above Replacement. WAR isn’t the final word on anything and there’s also certainly room to quibble with those numbers one way or another, but you get the idea.

Top DOZEN ever should always be in HoF.

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Disagree, Mike Piazza is without a doubt the best....but the rest I agree with you BDH (edit I didnt see you wrote "one" lol)....

Here is the question, If Posada isnt a HOF candidate nowadays, who is? Besides Pudge??

Also here is a pretty telling article....

http://jon-heyman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34235414

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Monument park will and should grow with #51, #20, #2, and #6 being added!

dang...edit...of course #42 (in pinstripes :shifty:)!

13. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    You disagree with Posada being ONE OF the best? And being a Switch-Hitting elite catcher - which Piazza is not!!!!

Fortunately, I never said POSADA is the best hitting catcher, and never would. :wink2:

PRIME NUMBERS: How Jorge Posada's career statistics rank among catchers since 1901:

[TABLE="class: stats_table"]
    [TR]
    [TH]STAT[/TH]
    [TH]No.[/TH]
    [TH]RANK[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Walks[/TD]
    [TD]936[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Doubles[/TD]
    [TD]379[/TD]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]OPS[/TD]
    [TD].848[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]OBP[/TD]
    [TD].374[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]HR[/TD]
    [TD]275[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]RBI[/TD]
    [TD]1,065[/TD]
    [TD]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]OPS+[/TD]
    [TD]121[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Read my edit fool....

15. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    LOL...nice save!....you are better off just deleting your ERROR post all together! LOL!:tongue2:

finyank13 likes this.
  16. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If Posada went into the HOF I wouldn't be outraged, I wouldn't really make a stink about it. Frankly to be honest you with I haven't really looked closely at his numbers to really give a strong opinion one way or the other. When I stated my gut said no I simply meant watching him I never thought as him being a HOFer like I did when I was watching guys like Clemens, Pedro, Jeter, Pujols etc. (I admit that this is meaningless in the overall picture because if he has the numbers he should be in).

The one thing I will disregard from your post is the championships, catching perfect games, being a part of the Core 4 as those things are nice to mention but should have zero to do with his HOF argument. Especially since he doesn't have great post season numbers and wasn't a full time # 1 catcher for the Yankees until the 1999 season, yet he was on the bench for most of that post season.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I'd probably agree with you and of course #42. But I don't agree with people saying they should retire O'Neill's number. The Yankees need to be careful though, I understand they have a great history and a great history of great players but they really should do a better job in which player's numbers they retire, especially since after they retire Jeter's and Torre's they won't have a single digit number that's not retired.

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I get that (accept for Rings - they still speak volumes - but laughingly when Yogi has 10, its a joke to say well Jorge has 5:lol:) but rings have weight to a small measurement for me....but the others is just fun FLUFF - although I think most Catchers will RATE high a Perfect Game in their resume - "no hitters" perhaps to lesser extent over Perfection since its so rare. (Varitek is king)!

19. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Technically 42 is already there.....but yes, for sure in Pinstripes (shocking how I left that off :tantrum:)

TRIPLE DIGIT uniforms here we come.....if you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere, its up to you New York, New York....

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    But on the flip side of that is Ted Williams and Ernie Banks have zero, does that take away from their great careers? Ramiro Mendoza and Mike Timlin have I believe 5 rings, does that put him on the same level as someone like Posada or a Curt Schilling? That's why I don't really look at the rings/championship factors. I will give extra credit for players that perform well in the playoffs (like Curt Schilling) but wouldn't have that negatively impact their shot at the Hall (for example Bagwell never performed well in the post season or someone like Posada who has subpar October numbers).

As for perfect games/no hitters they're complete crap shoots and just luck. Yeah it's a nice feather in the catcher's cap to say they caught one but does it really mean anything? Is there a real way to judge it?

21. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And you call yourself a Yankees fan!

Don't you think there are a few guys that don't really deserve to have their numbers retired? I mean Maris and Guidry jump out right away. They had pretty good Yankee careers but are they all time greats?

Maybe it's just me but I believe retired numbers should go to all time players of the franchise (especially if they went into the HOF with that team's cap those should almost be automatic).

Maybe you'll see the Yankees soon adopt a "Ring of Champions" type museum where they can honor the very good Yankees players (like the O'Neill's, Tino's, Pettitte's) without retiring their numbers.

22. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I think Posada will be in the HOF, but not on the first ballot. It sometimes takes a while for those stats to sink in, especially on such a good hitting ballclub.

I like Vlad as a DH candidate. But I'm completely biased, he's my favorite player in the major leagues.

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Of course not from an outsider, but insiders seem to feel they place weight (luck or not) and Catching fraternity seems to hold those who have achieved a Perfect Game to a different light. Maybe since we arent insiders its hard to comprehend...but I think Rings carry weight for similar reasons.

But I dont really disagree with you....and its not totally relevant in the grand scheme.

27 lashes for sure....:sad: (you are lucky when you mess up its only 7 :tongue2:)

Yanks are in rarefied air when it comes to Honoring those that contributed to these 27 Championships, but also the likes of Don Mattingly who didnt sniff a single one. Between Monument park (and the Museum in the Stadium) they do a great balancing act of recognizing ALL members of the organization over the years. You should visit the Museum whenever you finally make it to the new digs to take in a game.

I am fine with Guidry and Maris being included......each IMPRINTED themselves into the lore. O'Neill and Tino were trade/FA acquisition additions that certainly could make a case (not unlike Reggie Jackson or Roger Maris really). Hard to say.....Pettitte is clearly a key name in its history - dont know how the departure to HOU plays a role, but wouldnt surprise me to see (#46) added.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

It is like the Marino/everybody else argument when it comes to greatness.....Montana is widely perceived to be the better quarterback when in truth he couldnt hold Marino's jock when it came to playing that actual position....

I think rings helps, but it should be about the numbers, and again I ask, besides Pudge who in the modern era (mid 90's up) deserves to be in the Hall, that Jorge's number don't compare greatly too and in alot of cases betters theirs?

That article by Heyman sheds alot of light on Posada's numbers as definitely being Hall worthy...Do I think he gets in first ballot, probably not, but IMO he should definitely be in there...

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I finally got to a game at the new YS in 2010 and saw Javy Vazquez pitch against the Tigers (I think Rick Porcello was the Tiger pitcher). I went to both the Museum and MP, enjoyed both. The Yankees do a great job in honoring their history, no doubt about it.

Football is different than baseball though, so it's kind of hard to use the Marino/Montana argument.

26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Yankees and Russell Martin have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract, the team announced. Deal will be somewhere between $8.2MM and $7MM.

Boone Logan
    is the Yankees' only remaining unsigned arbitration-eligible player.

finyank13 likes this.
  27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yanks farm system approach paying dividends and prepping the future: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news...24&content_id=26455016&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

For years, the reputation of the Yankees has been one of reckless disregard for the farm. Trade away youngsters for proven talent. Trade away potential for known commodities.

So perhaps it is symbolic of how this organization has evolved that despite recently dealing away one of game's best prospects in Jesus Montero, New York still boasts one of the strongest overall farm systems in the league. In MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects list, released Wednesday, the Yanks placed four players in the Top 75 as well as two in the Top 50.

Manny Banuelos, who remains a significant part of the Yankees' future plans, ranks (13), (just behind recently traded J. Montero to seattle). Other Yanks making the cut included right-handed pitcher Dellin Betances (41), catcher Gary Sanchez (53) and outfielder Mason Williams (73).

Even without Montero, the list of young talented catchers in the organization includes Gary Sanchez, Austin Romine and J.R. Murphy. (2nd full article here: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news...23&content_id=26427830&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy)

P.S. Campos (acquired in Montero trade would have ranked 4th currently in Yanks view - interesting that Williams didnt even make Team top 10 from 2011)

Yanks top 10 prospects: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/index.jsp?c_id=nyy#list=nyy

28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Yankees avoided arbitration with left-hander Boone Logan, the Associated Press reports (via the Boston Herald) and he will earn $1.875MM in 2013.

finyank13 likes this.
  29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Supposedly Hughes is in good shape...would be nice to see him finally turn the corner....always rooting for him....

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/26458/25q25d-will-the-real-hughes-please-stand-up

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Mainge and finyank13 like this.
  31. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

Better than Player X coming in out of shape, didn't work to well for Vontae Davis...

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    lol also what is the pitch that players "learn" the most in the off-season...the new pitch you think Fink?

Change? 2-Seam?

33. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Or Phil Hughes in 2011.... I just find these articles pretty bland and boring and almost always seem like the writer is mailing it in. I mean they're professional baseball players they should show up to camp in shape. Plus you get about 20 of them written about each team.

Yeah either of those 2 you mentioned or the cutter. And the success rate of Pitcher X making the new pitch an effective pitch to get MLB hitters out is small. Funny you never get a follow up article about the success or failure of that new pitch.

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    they always don't though....hey lets hope he is, the kid needs to get on it a little...

35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    :pity:

36. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    x2....dont see how that ADDs anything of value.....! (hope its just a shoddy job of reporting - or Cashman is coming down off a bender and realizes his "drunk" Cashman isnt as clever as his "sober" Cashman)

finyank13 likes this.
  37. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Couldn't he just be a ST invite?

38. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Or a cutter! Lol.

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yankees signed Manny Delcarmen to a minor league deal. I heard he learned a 2 seamer AND cutter (he already has a change up).

finyank13 and Mainge like this.
  40. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    well if they never let Aceves go in the first place we wouldn't have this problem....