1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Jt0323, Oct 28, 2011.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    welcome bro...

I think Nova goes 2, and Kuroda 4.......

Yellow Snowman likes this.
  2. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome. I doubt it about Nova/Kuroda. The Yankees have been going after Kuroda for years and they wanted him for a reason. I dont think they wanted him so badly to put him 3rd. At the same time they were really hesitant to let Nova be our #2 last year. Obviously because he was an unproven rookie and wanted him to develop, but he was bumped up out of neccessity. I think ideally they want Nova at #3 for atleast another year. I just think the vet arm wins out and thats Kuroda.

Hopefully Pineda develops into the ACE people say he can be. I'm going to miss Montero alot. He is going to mash in this league for a long long time...

finyank13 likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Backtracking Booby......research before opening your trap.....Boob....

4. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    In honor of Leap Year i will share my favorite leap year commercial!
    [video=youtube;vnygh-e8PEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnygh-e8PEo[/video]

finyank13 likes this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Season under way......

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Memo to David Robertson, give the box to your wife to bring downstairs during the season...ugh...thats what they are there for....

7. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good thing the AL has the DH right? Oops wrong thread.

Jt0323 and finyank13 like this.
  8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Looks like Sori has his job back for a few.............

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ugh..........baseball players I swear......

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yankee bats need to get it going here...it isnt winter time anymore....

but hey at least Tex is hitting what he normally does so no need for concern..... .214

12. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    MIND BLOWING TIME...

AP is back, its a nice little insurance policy for several reasons (even at age 40)...cant have to many bullets in the gun when it comes to an arms race....I love it just for the chance to see him in pinstripes one more time. But ramp up will take several weeks I would think, and then have to find a spot - dont know about any Minor league or Extended Spring starts before a real decision is made.

Would you sign him without the expectation that he is going to be in the rotation the minute he is ready (for as long as his body holds up?).

Does this mean Garcia is hurt more than thought? Does it mean that Pineda (with options) could be given time in Minors to see about arm speed, etc? Do you send Nova to minors? Do you move Hughes to Pen and let Andy be your #5?

Or do we see a 6-man rotatiion (like we did at the end of last season?). Could save arms - its a thought!

Interesting that I love it, but it has lots of implications, too.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No to the 6 man rotation, especially since Sabathia admitted that it hurt him in terms of getting used to it and into a rhythm towards the end of the year, plus it also takes starts away from him and other SPs. And I'd think it would be extremely dumb to send either Nova or Pineda to the minors 'just because they have options' to make room for Pettitte.

I think it would be foolish for the Yankees to guarantee a rotation spot for him too especially given his age and that he didn't even pitch last year. If I were the Yankees I'd send him to extended ST with a target date of around May 1st to see how he's doing. If he's pitching well and the Yankees think he can truly help then decide what to do. But there should be no rush to do anything. Its possible that between this and with Robertson's minor injury earlier this spring its going to lead to the return of Hughes to the pen.

14. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    If im Garcia, im worried....Look for Andy to be ready by the time they need the 5th starter. I dont think garcia has a NTC, maybe we can flip him for something else.
    At any rate, Andy is one of my favorite all time yankees, so im over the moon about this.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Any FA that signs with a club has a NTC until about the middle of June, around the 15th or so.

Finfangirl likes this.
  16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The back story is crazy too with AP.....back in December, Andy did an interview and found out that Cashman had some nice things to say about Andy when asked Cashman was asked by Michael Kay if he plans to reach out to him (prior to the SEA trade, and signing of Kuroda). Cashman says, no, Andy's retired and he will respect that; but added that Andy could call him if Andy felt the urge. They laughed it off.

Well low and behold, Andy heard through the grapevine that Cashman was saying Andy had some stuff left in the tank and believed he could come back, etc. So Andy called Cashman, and thanked him for the kind words, and expressed a potential desire to start working out over the coming 6-8 weeks and try to get into shape (in Andy's words of his definition of shape knowing what it takes to be ready, etc). On the spot, Cashman said if you agree to come back right now during this phone conversation I can offer you $10-12M/1 yr deal. Andy turned it down, saying no, he wants to work out and see if the urge/itch is legit, etc. Cashman trusting Andy, confides that he is working deals with FA (Kuroda) and also working a deal with SEA for Pineda and therefore may not have the $ if those deals go down, etc. Andy says no problem, do what you have to do to make the team better and we can talk #'s down the road.

A few weeks late, after Cashman pulls off the deal with SEA, and nabs Kuroda, he calls Andy back and says you can stop getting in shape, etc. Andy says he will continue and will also see the guys in ST where he showed up as a "special" instructor. This onsite ST visit really pushed Andy's itch and confirm his desire. So, they talked more and Cashman asked Jeter and Mo their thoughts and then Cashman went to the young Steinbrenner to get permission for $2.5M. It was all agreed the day of that night Sox/Yanks ST game, and thus Andy is coming back for $2.5M (not $10/12M) and just wants to have fun and pitch and earn the rotation spot.

I could see both Garcia and Hughes going to the pen potentially for as long as Andy holds up, etc. (Both my girls are thrilled, although the youngest wants Jorge to return too ;) ).

I know that Garadi has stated from last seasons experience (and most MLB Managers and GMs would state - you dont only use 5 SP and 7-8 relievers during the course of the season) that he expects to have 8 or more guys get a Start during the season, and expects that a dozen plus RPs would see action, etc. So guys in the Minors better be ready when their name is called, etc.

17. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
  18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Joba broke his ankle playing with his son and had surgery on it last night. Cashman said it's a significant injury no word on time table on when he'll be back.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    dislocated it

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Same difference, bottom line is the guy is going to be out for awhile if not the whole year depending on the ligament damage. It's possible Joba's Yankees career might be over.

21. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    we shall see.....we havent been counting on him, until he came back anyway.....

it does suck...

22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They are saying he was on a trampoline with his son....

why the f%ck is he on a trampoline while rehabbing TJ anyway?? You fall the wrong way, and undo everything in your elbow....

God gives gifts to stupid *** people man...

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Cashman certainly was. And with the return of Pettitte, I bet Hughes will be back in the pen (which I think is a mistake).

24. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Can never have enough arms (that you can trust)....yeah, Hughes serves two masters right now...and the odds are that the decision will be to move him to the PEN as insurance there as long as no other SHOE drops with CC, Kuroda, Nova, Pineda, or AP.....

Garcia may be retained as Insurance to the Insurance now come trade deadline too.

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Holy crap, just read the details of Joba's injury. The guy almost bleed to death and has to stay off his ankle for 3 months. I'd be shocked if he pitched at all this year. I'm not a Joba fan by any means (as a person or player) but this truly sucks for him.

26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Fully Displaced dislocation of ankle...I am not a doctor, but if not a fracture then a displaced dislocation means the leg bone separated (dislocated) from the ankle socket and the leg bone broke through the skin.... major issues from dislocation and surgery aside, is potential ligament damage, and even infection on recovery, etc.

Yes, most likely out of season, and depending on how it heals its not out of the realm of possibility to be career ending.

27. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Joba Chamberlain, while he is a nice guy, he is a moron.

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    why not as a person? Too much fist pumping?

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    His DUI is a big reason, I have zero tolerance for that crap. And maybe it's because I'm a Red Sox fan but he's always rubbed me the wrong way.

finyank13 likes this.
  30. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
  31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes really, DUIs are a pretty big deal. Just ask Jim Leyritz.

And as for Bobby Jenks, check out the Red Sox thread. The guy is a disgrace and an embarrassment. He's lucky he didn't kill anyone or himself.

It's too bad the media and the government is so concerned about PEDs in baseball when DUIs are a bigger deal yet don't get a quarter of the attention they should. Every ST you have at least 5 to 10 players/coaches/managers that get busted for them yet teams continue to ignore the situation.

finyank13 likes this.
  32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I can see that....the on-field bravado from pitchers these days is funny, never used to happen before....just be like Rivera, close out a game, slighty pump ur fist like you have done it before, and slap high fives with the catcher...

33. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Brian Cashman visited Chamberlain in the hospital and said the 26-year-old pitcher told him he could be released from the medical facility this weekend. “If he gets out [Saturday] or [Sunday], that would be extremely positive,” Cashman said.

I will be floored if he recovers on schedule and without complications from this and sees any regular season action in 2012!

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    ehh until he shows up BDH, I count him as gone for the season.....opens up a spot for Rapada, who surprisingly as been very good this ST...

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    David Waldstein of the New York Times reports that Chamberlain will be released from the hospital tomorrow, which indicates that no infections have developed. Furthermore, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com that no microfractures were found in the ankle and that Chamberlain will be in a cast for the next six weeks. It’s still early, but these are some very encouraging signs that he’ll be able to resume his playing career, perhaps as soon as this season.

36. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Bartolo went 8IP, 3H, 1R, 6K, 1BB this morning...

Why cant we get pitchers like that.....?

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    A better question would be why can't the AL East teams face the Mariners and A's line up 18 times a year.

38. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    On this date three years ago, the Padres returned Rule 5 selection Ivan Nova to the Yankees. The right-hander broke out with a 3.70 ERA in 165 1/3 innings last year, his first full season in the Major Leagues. MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

On another note, Joba's injury, might be career ending. I say this because its his drive leg he broke, which is the leg he wil need to put all of his weight on to resume pitching. THe rods and pins used in surgery will make his ankle more stable but les moveable. This inturn could really screw up his arm mechanics. Whether or not he plays again remains to be seen, but its going to be one hellish rehab.

39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Can you re-post this SAME post in the "Jets get Tebow" thread just for dramatic effect? That'd be perfect. Thanks in advance.

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Rotation set:

1 - CC
    2 - Kuroda
    3 - Hughes
    4 - Nova
    5 - Garcia

Time will tell on the Pineda "shoulder inflammation"; atleast no structural damage at this point in time. Rest and DL stint but even with that...the real question is Pettitte will be back up by May (all indications are that he is now just working on his legs for drive and endurance, etc). So, aside from the most likely Garcia spot (although I actually think based on AP's calendar, he will most likely enter in the #3 slot L-R-L and slide Hughes to 4 and Nova to 5th)....the question still will be about Pineda once he is ready which I dont think is all that big of a deal at this point. Very rare for any Arm in the ML to not miss time with inflammation or dead-arm periods.

Dont foget too, Campos has looked solid and one of the better arms added in the deal long-term.

So glad just a few more days and finally we can kick this season off.

Jt0323 likes this.